Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is The Zs Lowered More Than The Black Edition?

NQbbe

I just picked up my brand new Black Edition today and noticed something funny when I got home - it sits slightly higher than my ZS at the rear end.

So I figured I'd measure the difference - measuring from the ground to the highest point of the rear wheel arch (in the center of it really), the ZS measures 62cm (24,41 inches) whereas the Black measures 63,5cm (25 inches)

Both cars are fitted with 195/45-16 tyres, and the tyres on the ZS only did a few thousand miles - they're hardly worn at all, so I figure that's not why.

The tyres of the Black did have a higher pressure, but even after reducing it to its proper pressure, it's still the same.

The only difference between the cars, is the ZS has a spare tire in its boot, but I figure it doesn't weight enough to lower it 15mm.

Now I know the ZS is lowered 15mm compared to the Titanium, but I'm under the impression the Black edition is as well, so I'm thinking my ZS may have worn its shock absorbers more than normal (the ZS is almost 2years old and has only done 11.000 miles)

My questions therefore are:

- Does anyone know if the ZS is in fact lowered more than the Black Edition ?

- Can anyone measure how high their ZS with 16 inch wheels sits ?

I'm having the ZS serviced in 2 weeks from now, and I'll ask them to look at is as well - but I'm thinking they'll probably just shrug it off and say it's nothing - that's why I'm asking here as well :-)

"Ford has fitted the Black Edition with sportier suspension than the standard models. The Black’s springs are lowered by 10mm and are 12 per cent stiffer at the front and six per cent stiffer at the rear."

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/87479/ford-fiesta-black-edition-review#ixzz3RSovhh9g

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Maybe they didn't fit the lower springs on yours, I've seen Threads stating the Red/Black edition production line was stopped for "Quality issues" but I can't confirm the accuracy of that.

My Black definitely sits the same height as my daughters Red and both are lower than my other daughters ZSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

When the cars are transported they wedge the springs up to get better ground clearance and remove them on delivery. The car will settle after a few weeks to the same hight as your zs. Also remember the front has the engine pulling it down so will adjust quicker.

I just had to go and measure the height of my 2011 Titanium 3dr with the tape measure laying right next to me, couldn't resist, and mine is exactly 64cm in the rear with 195/45/16's

O and I also have a spare in the rear

Don't the red and black edition come with 17s as standard running on 195/45 r17 tyres? Would that make the height difference?

I am slightly wrong. The red and black do ride on 17s but with 205/40 r17 tyres.

Sorry for the late reply - the Black Edition does indeed run on 205/40-17, but I fitted mine with 195/45-16 for winter (and thus 16 inch alloys) - my summer tyres are the original 17 inch.

I think Willy is right that it's just because the springs have been wedged up, hadn't thought about that.

So I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Thanks for your help everyone :-)

After reading this I'm tempted to measure the ride height of my ST, which I think should should be the same as a red/black, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have heard of instances where they sometimes forget to remove the wedges. Though this would cause a much harsher ride than you would normally expect. I would have thought this would have been noticed if the wheels had been swapped though.

Just a quick update - it seems Willy was indeed right. The car has dropped to 62.5 cm (so it's dropped a cm compared to when I originally wrote)

A few more miles and it'll sit at exactly the same height as my ZS.

Once again thanks everyone for your time :-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club