Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt6 Gearbox, Lost 5Th

Rocco

Hi Gang

I put this problem on Talkford a few weeks ago but didn't get much support so I'm hoping that someone on here has got a clue to what is wrong with my car.

My car is a 2007, MK4 Mondeo Titanium X, TDCi 2.0 Diesel, manual gearbox, 140PS and 130k miles on the clock.

For a few weeks I've been hearing a squealing sound whenever I'm in 5th gear, and only 5th gear. It's the kind of noise you hear from a train as it pulls up to a station, a high pitched metallic squealing. I was able to accelerate through the problem after a few seconds. It was like a very heavy/clunky automatic gearbox shake when it cleared.

I've been living it because I couldn't figure out for certain what it was. I've suspected a vacuum hose split, vacuum solenoid sticky, turbo actuator sticking, gearbox oil needs changing all seem to lead to a dead end. 4th and 6th gear have no problem at all.

Tonight, driving home I heard the squeal even before I put my foot back on the throttle, just as I lifted the clutch pedal. Now, I have no 5th gear at all. When attempting to select 5th gear now it's like selecting neutral, just no drive at all.

I've spent hours searching online for anyone who's had a similar problem but can't find anything. It seems to me that the gearbox is knackered but I've never experienced such a rapid onset of a problem like this. I heard no crunching, whirring, grinding or anything unusual from the gearbox since I bought the car around 4 months ago. Only work I've had done is a new cambelt, aux belt, water pump (other side of the engine), air and oil filters and that's it. It's starts, runs and drives in all other gears perfectly.

If anyone knows anything about these MMT6 gearboxes, I'd appreciate a suggest. Maybe a selector fork failed? I dunno.

Cheers

• Like 1

what ever has caused 5th to fail, makes no difference, probably easier and cheaper to get a 2nd hand box sorted for it.

• Like 1

what ever has caused 5th to fail, makes no difference, probably easier and cheaper to get a 2nd hand box sorted for it.

Agree with that. Now I need to find a gearbox with code 7G9R-7002-YF

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club