Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Are These Sensors On The Windscreen?

mike6688

Hi on my mk3 focus I have two little black boxes on the windscreen, which have wires running into the roof lining. It's a zetec so doesn't have auto lights / wipers - but I haven't seen these on similar models. Are they anything to do with the radio lights coming on when dark and off during the day? Only I thought the dome by the windscreen (between the vents) was what controlled this. Can't see anything on Ford Etis.

post-62285-0-41692700-1423845528_thumb.j

post-62285-0-44365600-1423845575_thumb.j

They are the earth connectors for each side of windscreen, live feeds are at bottom corners of screen.

Thank you for the replies. Seemed a bit odd they would be there, but glad to know what they are now.

Hi on my mk3 focus I have two little black boxes on the windscreen, which have wires running into the roof lining. It's a zetec so doesn't have auto lights / wipers - but I haven't seen these on similar models. Are they anything to do with the radio lights coming on when dark and off during the day? Only I thought the dome by the windscreen (between the vents) was what controlled this. Can't see anything on Ford Etis.

They're trackers for Google, so they can monitor where you go, how fast you drive etc

:ph34r:

• Like 2

They're trackers for Google, so they can monitor where you go, how fast you drive etc

:ph34r:

That explains why I keep seeing the google car everywhere I go!

• 2 years later...

So that's how my Google knows when to colour the road on maps red or green.  I saw these the other day on my own car and thought it might have been a light or rain sensor but I guess not.

The dome at the base of the windscreen between the vents is the sunlight sensor for the auto climate control. It measures the strength of the sun and the CC will adjust the fan speed and air direction accordingly whilst also taking into consideration the temp you have set.  Many people do not know what the dome is for, someone said to me recently they thought it was a compass for the sat nav.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Trewithy said:

...someone said to me recently they thought it was a compass for the sat nav

Love it!!