Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Tdci Sudden Loss Of Power And Flashing Glow Plug Light...

Chevy88uk

Hi,

After spending 45mins to an hour in very slow moving traffic on the M5 today I eventually made it to the bypass near my house.

As I accelerated off the island and reached about 70mph the car spluttered and lost power...reducing to about 50mph. I then noticed that the glow plug light was flashing on and off. The car would not accelerate past 50mph.

I got home and shut the car off, then started it again and the light was no longer flashing. I drove it around the block and it seemed ok.

After leaving it for half an hour I drove it back down the bypass, it reached 70mph with no issues.

I bought the car it October and I have 12 month warranty, so would like to know if this is something serious that I need to get fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Update:

Drove up the bypass again last night and it did the same thing, glow plug light started flashing and speed dropped to around 40-50mph. Shut the engine off and started it again and it was fine. Continued the journey on slower roads with no issues.

Today it did it again but I noticed it seemed to happen as soon as I hit 3000rpm.

I've plugged my fault reader in and there are no fault codes present, not even any historical ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy.

depending on the code reader you are using it might not be reading the right modules.

If its causing limp mode it would suggest a sensor fault, but I would say take it back to the dealer, use the warranty and get it resolved :)

As for the warranty, if that is a 2005 car you bought and you managed to get a 12 month warranty, that is awesome!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm using a ELM 327 Mini interface which apparently supports all OBDII protocols...assuming of course that the Mondeo uses OBDII? It worked fine on my old 2001 Focus.

Yeah, I think it was just on the age limit on them offering a warranty. Bought it from Evans Halshaws (never again) was in their 'runabouts' range.

ELM 327 is the protocol used to communicate, however, Ford uses High Speed and Medium Speed can, but you need modified adapters and software that can communicate on both of those.

Ah ok, is there a bluetooth adapter that is known to work on the Mondeo TDCi? I've been using the Torque Android app.

they all work, but the problem is that the bluetooth adapters are only High Speed Can I believe, if you want full diagnostics ability, you need a modified ELM cable and FORSCAN on your laptop. This will allow you to switch and check all modules for any and all errors amongst other things. Torque is good and bluetooth is as well, for as long as the error codes are in the high speed system, but otherwise its not as thorough

Ok I may have to look into getting one of those, found some on eBay for £15 that claim to be modified for FORSCAN.

I had it serviced in October/November as per the conditions on Evans Halshaws warranty so hopefully they checked the fuel filter then.

Gonna give them a call about the warranty and see what they say.

Ok I may have to look into getting one of those, found some on eBay for £15 that claim to be modified for FORSCAN.

I had it serviced in October/November as per the conditions on Evans Halshaws warranty so hopefully they checked the fuel filter then.

Gonna give them a call about the warranty and see what they say.

There is nothing to check with the filter to be honest. It does have a water drain on it but doubtful anyone has touched it. Also, what was included in your service? Will hazard a guess it was just oil and filter.

Was a full service I paid for and there is a tick in the box that says "diesel fuel filter - drain" so I'd like to think it was checked.

Got it booked in at Evans Halshaw Ford on Friday...hopefully they'll find out what it is!

Mmmmm . . . draining the fuel filter won't clean it - I'd be insisting that a new fuel filter is fitted.

• Like 1

Mmmmm . . . draining the fuel filter won't clean it - I'd be insisting that a new fuel filter is fitted.

I don't even bother draining it at any point, just replace it once a year.

Just changed a clogged fuel filter there that had been on for a little over a year - no dirt inside it but presumably the paper has become clogged with the diesel waxing or something along those lines.

As above - a new fuel filter at least every year is wise preventative maintenance on any diesel engine.

The E.G.R.V. is always a prime suspect too - unless it's blanked.

• Like 2

The E.G.R.V. is always a prime suspect too - unless it's blanked.

Been there twice with that now too!

So I'm currently sat in Evans Halshaws waiting area (my car has been with them since around 9.30am...and there doesn't appear to be much to do in Walsall).

I've basically been told that if it turns out that it isn't covered by the warranty then it'll be £85 for the diagnosis and then I have to decide whether to get them to fix it (and pay) or take it elsewhere (and pay).

After being told this I took it down the road to a chain of garages who read fault codes for £20...However no fault codes were read so he didn't charge me.

If it is covered by warranty then there is no charge. Injectors are not covered so I really hope it's not those. Exhaust valves are covered provided they are not 'burnt out' and the turbo unit is covered.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Why would injectors not be covered, its not deemed consumable and is in essence a mechanical part so I fail to see why it's not covered....

I'll certainly be arguing that if that's what it turns out to be.

Under fuel system it states "mechanical or electrical fuel pumps, lift pump and tank sender unit, throttle body, airflow meter, idle control valve, cold start valve, warm up regulator, overrun cut off valve, throttle potentiometer, fuel accumulator, pressure regulator and map sensor". Then in brackets "injectors and heater plugs are not covered".

When I bought the car he told me it covers mechanical failure and only things it didn't cover were general wear and tear things like bulbs and Wiper Blades...his exact words I believe. So maybe I can claim I was mis-sold the warranty I don't know.

Needless to say I won't be using them ever again.

If injectors are a specific specification of not supported might well seal your fate there... However you can always appeal it, the warranty covers developed faults however you could claim it's inherently faulty if you bought it in the last 6 months, then it's your right to get it repaired ad inherently faulty and it's expected to be repaired at their expense...

Well luckily (I think) it's not the injectors. Apparently it's the turbo, or in his words "an electrical part of the turbo that can't be bought separately" so it needs a whole new turbo.

Which luckily is covered by the warranty, although apparently only upto the value of £500 which is news to me as my claim limit on the cover of my warranty document has a limit of £1,843 (cost of the car itself) nowhere does it mention a £500 limit anywhere. It does say it covers all parts listed upto the limit specified above...but the only mention of any limit is the £1,843.

Don't suppose you know how much a new turbo would cost including labour?

Thanks for all the help and advice by the way, it is greatly appreciated.

Depends what they go for but I recon they would go refurbished in which case about 250

Ok that's not so bad then, hopefully they'll choose that option.

After further reading of the warranty paperwork I've found where it mentions the £500 limit per claim...they do like to hide things!

To have a new turbo fitted I wouldn't expect any change from a thousand quid.

That's a brand new one at dealer rates though Stef?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club