Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 06 Mondeo 2.0 115 Tdci With Issues

DCTDC

Hi folks,

I picked up an 06 plate Mondeo in Gold yesterday on 68k for a pretty penny, fully expecting to have to get a few things sorted.

I've found a few solutions on this forum already (thanks!) but will list everything in any case for my own record if nothing else.

1) It won't start when hot

It'll turn over and fire, but quickly cuts out. As it cools it'll fire (after a couple of attempts), struggle as the rev counter raises, tick over a little rough and then stabilise. From cold there's no problem - sweet as a nut.

From info on this forum and elsewhere I'm going to take it to Ford and see if the ECU firmware needs updating, followed by a new fuel filter if that doesn't resolve. I'll be at a loss if those don't work though.

PCB update and fuel filter resolved this. £140 for both at Thame Ford

2) Steering wobble when turning

Driving in a straight line is fine, but when I turn the wheel (doesn't have to be much) I feel a wobble almost as if the wheels are slightly disconnected from the steering.

I thought this may be PAS spasming but reading the forum I see people have changed all manner of bits around the wheels and suspension. I haven't checked the PAS fluid.

Update: Ford mech diagnosed as worn drive shaft, but not bad enough to know which side.

3) Grinding noise on full lock

Noticed it doing a u-turn yesterday (right). Sounded like a metallic grinding, though I can't be sure. Might be related to 2).

Can't get this to happen again

4) Pink fluid on gearbox

The seller stated there was a spill when servicing the car, but the fluid is pink rather than black/brown so unless he was topping up the coolant on the left side of the engine and tripped to spill it down the right and on to the top of the gear box, I don't see how.

I've checked the rad pipes around this area and don't feel any wet patches so I don't see where it could have come from. Are there any other sources of pink fluid on the right (as you look at it with the bonnet up) side of the engine? Gearbox oil itself isn't pink is it?

Update: Pink fluid is back, must be coming from a pipe/join to engine.

5) Passenger door handle doesn't always open the door.

Which I think is due to the adjustment of a plastic block being off from what I see on these forums. I'll order two of those (driver side isn't far off) and get that sorted. They don't do the plastic blocks in metal do they? Save them perishing again in the future..

6) Something I've noticed since the ECU update and filter is a tappy/slappy noise from the engine as I pull away (in all gears up to ~ 1200rpm). It quickly vanishes into the standard thrumming of the diesel engine, but is noticeable in start-stop traffic. Ford suggested waiting a week or so while the car "reconfigures" itself as the PCB update forces it to relearn some things.

Ford mech diagnosed as diesel knock and nothing to worry about. Try "premium" diesel to clean the system out.

7) I've also noticed idle is slightly louder when I push the clutch in (in gear or not) vs not keeping the clutch depressed (and obviously out of gear) but I think I've heard that on a few diesels I've driven so I'm not sure it's a concern, rather an observation.

--

I will be having a mechanic check over it next week for any other obvious issues (all fine) ...but everything else about the car is great and it has an advisory-free 11month MOT! A massive step up from the Meriva I binned off to get it and I'm hoping with a regular service schedule it'll take my 200mile daily commute in it's stride.

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your knowledge/link to a solution where you can.

- Jason

Hi Jason:

1) Could be a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor.

2) Could be as simple as alignment, but I would be suspecting a suspension bushing.

3) That could be a CV joint issue

4) Check the coolant, as most of them are pink these days, so it may indicate a coolant leak!

5) I think you can get a metal cover, but not sure you can get a full metal block!

• Like 1

Thanks Jeebo.

No EML on the dash but since it cuts out so quickly perhaps it isn't storing one.

Now I've mopped it up, the commute today should show a leak if more pink finds itself on the gearbox again. Would have to come from above and there are only pipes from what I see, easy fix if one is needed touch wood!

I'll use the rest of your info going forward. All looks manageable thankfully (assuming you're correct obviously!) I'll follow up in any case.

I've found the bonnet hard to open too. Takes a lot of pressure turning left to release the lock. Is that normal?

1 could be cam position sensor fault when hot, they pack up when hot, leave to cool and works again,

2 and 3 could be the power steering belt slipping, its a small belt on o/s of engine as you look at it under bonnet, slippage could be due to wear or auto tensioner worn/broken.

4 coolant leak, check for leak when hot and under pressure,

Thanks Ian,

I just completed a 120 mile trek to work, popped the bonnet and there's no sign of any further leaking. The coolant level hasn't changed either. I wonder if they replaced a pipe or something when it went through their service?

Edit:

The wobble - 2) - only happens at low speed. Anything above ~40 and I don't feel it.

Morning all,

I dropped it into Ford and had them apply an ECU update and change the fuel filter. From this the car has started each and every time, hot or cold.

A week and ~ 900 miles later there has been no drop in coolant and no visible pools of coolant on top of the gearbox. I'll keep monitoring it.

2, 3 and 5 remain outstanding but I'll get to them as and when.

6) Something I've noticed since the ECU update and filter is a tappy/slappy noise from the engine as I pull away (in all gears up to ~ 1200rpm). It quickly vanishes into the standard thrumming of the diesel engine, but is noticeable in start-stop traffic. Ford suggested waiting a week or so while the car "reconfigures" itself as the PCB update forces it to relearn some things.

7) I've also noticed idle is slightly louder when I push the clutch in (in gear or not) vs not keeping the clutch depressed (and obviously out of gear) but I think I've heard that on a few diesels I've driven so I'm not sure it's a concern, rather an observation.

Hi mate, was wondering how much did you pay for the ECU update? Thinking about getting mine done that's all! Thanks

Hi Bayley,

They charged me £60 to connect it to their diagnostics at Thame Ford and applied the update at the same time.

Sigh. 2) I had the suspension and steering bushes/fittings checked and apparently it's all fine with no movement. I guess next will be power steering/rack to get checked.

6) also includes a bit of black smoke occasionally. I'm going to check the pipes from the intercooler for splits but is there anything else that would generate black smoke?

An MAF sensor causing over fuelling or the EGR valve can both cause black smoke on diesels.

An MAF sensor causing over fuelling or the EGR valve can both cause black smoke on diesels.

Thanks Simcor, what about the valve would cause this? Not opening/closing? I haven't checked the intercooler pipes yet so just asking for if I need to move onto that..

-

After a week the coolant on top of the gearbox has shown up again, so there must be a little leak from one of the big pipes/joints.

The wobble has been diagnosed as a worn driveshaft, but it isn't bad enough for them to tell which side based on a test drive.

Also, the rattle has been diagnosed as diesel knock from the injectors. The mechanic said there's nothing to be done about it as it's normal but I've read people get the injectors recoded?

TBH I only really notice it now and again. I got a puff accelerating hard onto the M4 and a few wafts outside the house when I moved it from one spot to another. It's hardly gushing.

It's the coke in the egr that causes the smoke

Should be easy enough to clean that out then I guess!

Out of interest, how much should the water temp fluctuate? It seems to move back and forth between 1/4 and 1/2 on the dial. Never goes above 1/2 though.

Mine does that when I'm town driving when it's relatively cool outside, its normal I believe

OK great, on the vaux's I've had before the dial barely moved once it got hot.

That's cause it was a vauxhall lol

lol.

I'm beginning to feel like this thread has grown much larger than I initially anticipated when I started it. Getting things sorted but it's taking a bit of time given I can only get to garages (that aren't Ford down the road) on the weekend.

Oh well..

It was a bit weird this morning, twice the revs dipped and came back causing the car to jerk slightly. Once at 70 and again at 50. Aside from that no issues. No lights came up or anything otherwise untoward. I'm getting near empty in the tank so assume fuel was to blame.

If you run the tank that low you risk dredging stuff out the bottom of the tank (to be fair I always run it down as well) but it may have clogged t again but otherwise as you say just being low may have interupted fuel supply...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club