Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Zetec Petrol - Just Me, Or Really Slow Off The Line?

djsubtronic

I've had my car for just over two weeks, and have been driving it pretty cautiously for the most part; not really flooring it at traffic lights, sticking under 85 mph on motorways, etc. I notice how it has a pretty nice punch at 70mph+ in fifth gear in that it will accelerate surprisingly quickly to around 90, and that was quite impressive to me.

Yesterday, I went down the Great West Road after many years (a road I used to go down every day to get home when I lived in that area), and those who may be familiar with it, it's got traffic lights literally every few meters. So this was pretty late in the evening, there was virtually no traffic, and I decided to try out my old childish habit of flooring it as soon as the light turns green, just to see how the car was. And I have to say I was pretty appalled. It feels so slow and sluggish, even if I put my foot all the way down. 0 to 40 is miserable, and it only really starts getting some kick after around 50 when I stick it into 5th gear.

Is this just me, or is this car really just crap off the line? If it's just me, what are some things to look out for which could be causing this abysmal acceleration off the line?

Thanks!

Just to add, it's a 99 bhp MK2.5 model.

From everything I have read, the old 1.6 Ti-VCT is gutless and there is not a lot you can do about it :/

From everything I have read, the old 1.6 Ti-VCT is gutless and there is not a lot you can do about it :/

I don't think it's the Ti-VCT, it's the standard Duratec 1.6 100PS (Sigma?) one...so I guess that's even more gutless lol

Unfortunately it doesnt have the most amount of punch...

'' Under 85 mph on motorways '' ? ?

My Focus seems quite happy off the line - sometimes it does grumble a bit if you don't give it enough revs and it will then decide to be a bit slow, but if you get the revs right it will pick up pretty well.

Bear in mind my description of "picks up pretty well" is only after driving a 1.2 Corsa for near on 5 years ;-)

• Like 1

Around 80 seems to be what everyone's doing these days...

My Focus seems quite happy off the line - sometimes it does grumble a bit if you don't give it enough revs and it will then decide to be a bit slow, but if you get the revs right it will pick up pretty well.

Bear in mind my description of "picks up pretty well" is only after driving a 1.2 Corsa for near on 5 years ;-)

I know specs are probably pointless, my last car was a 2001 Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 (apparently a Zetec engine) which is stated as 0-60 in 12.3 sec, whereas my Focus is listed as 11.9... so it should be a tad faster. Granted it was four years ago that I had the Fiesta, but the Focus just seems wayy slower until it hits about 40. I guess I'll live with it, not like I'll be drag racing it!

Your mpg not getting something stupid like less than 30? Brakes all feel even, and not getting hot? Tried using BP Ultimate/premium fuel?

I get an average of 35~mpg out of mine, but I don't drive the most economically (and at 85+ on the motorway you will not get more than 35 in my experience!)

Generally I'll do a 30 mile weekly commute (mostly under 30 mph, fair bit of stop/start), and about 100 miles at the weekend (some motorway, tend to stay around 80 or less for the most part). I would expect to get 35 mpg at least... but my trip computer shows around 27 average.

No problems with the brakes though. I'm using regular unleaded from Esso or Shell.

Have had 2 1.6 petrols (100). A MK1 and a MK2.

MK1 was a little more punchy but obviously a lighter car. The MK2 was even worse, bearly wanted to go anywhere and really struggled up hills. Had to drop to 3rd for some around here, if not 2nd just to maintain 50mph. Highest MPG I got with that was 44 on a 4hr trip. Average town was roughly early 30's.

Now have a 1.8TDCI which copes easily in 5th and much more enjoyable to drive.

The 1.6 was gutless and constantly found it hard work. Had the MK2 full of 4 adults once; now that was hard work!!

• Like 2

Have had 2 1.6 petrols (100). A MK1 and a MK2.

MK1 was a little more punchy but obviously a lighter car. The MK2 was even worse, bearly wanted to go anywhere and really struggled up hills. Had to drop to 3rd for some around here, if not 2nd just to maintain 50mph. Highest MPG I got with that was 44 on a 4hr trip. Average town was roughly early 30's.

Now have a 1.8TDCI which copes easily in 5th and much more enjoyable to drive.

The 1.6 was gutless and constantly found it hard work. Had the MK2 full of 4 adults once; now that was hard work!!

The strange thing is, I can be doing 35 mph on a steep hill in 4th, or even 5th gear, and it will pull wonderfully, and even speed up if I floor the gas. It isn't so much the lack of pull that surprised me, just the slowness of getting up to 40mph or so from 0.

Honestly, mine struggle immensely on hills. Perhaps it was just an issue with my vehicle.

here is what worked for me

remove the air pipe that runs behind the front upper grille (black u shaped pipe) as this will massively improve your throttle response, add that to clutch control and you will see the difference,

few things to note:

takes a while for the car to adjust to the difference in air flow etc

your MPG will drop,

the air intake from the airbox will be exposed so watch those big puddles or invest in a slightly better air filter just incase

best thing about it is that your can simply attach the air pipe back on and its as original

• Like 1

Is this just me, or is this car really just crap off the line? If it's just me, what are some things to look out for which could be causing this abysmal acceleration off the line?

Just to add, it's a 99 bhp MK2.5 model.

You kinda answered your own question with "it's 99bhp"

The Focus isn't a small or light car, so off the line is where it will suffer from a basic non-performance engine,

My 1.6 has the 115bhp Ti-VCT engine, and I too wish it was more like an ST, but it's not.

And when all the German cars leave me for dead I just tell myself it's just a 1.6 lol.

These lads got more power from their ST.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/two-men-dead-in-featherstone-crash-1-7107321

• Like 1

I've got the ti vct and come on 90mph in 3rd gear easily you need to rev all ti vct engines to get the best out of them the redline is 8k rpm but they will happily rev to over 9k rpm first gears pretty useless on it to be honest but its not slow if you use it right

Its heavy with 100ps yes its slow off the line so is mine lol!

Turn the esp off or try buying something with a bigger more powerful engine

I've got the ti vct and come on 90mph in 3rd gear easily you need to rev all ti vct engines to get the best out of them the redline is 8k rpm but they will happily rev to over 9k rpm first gears pretty useless on it to be honest but its not slow if you use it right

Mine's not the Ti-VCT version unfortunately, just the standard 100 PS one.

Mine's not the Ti-VCT version unfortunately, just the standard 100 PS one.

What tyre pressures are you running (not that it should make a difference)?

I suppose it depends on personal opinion whether its "quick" off the line - mine seems to be pretty quick (but then I change to 2nd early as 1st is pants!) And have no problem keeping up with people in normal non-sport cars.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

If you are driving low speeds often I would recommend an 'Italian tune-up'. Basically, rag the hell out of it (legally and safely of course), get it up to temp then give it loads of beans. Don't be afraid to get it up to red line, clear the crap out of it. I did this to Mother in Law's 1.4 auto civic. The damn thing wouldn't even kick down, took 160 miles of London and back giving it hell before it worked again, but it helped it no end. Went from barely moving to being capable to pulling the skin off a rice pudding (just, gutless heap!)

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

If you are driving low speeds often I would recommend an 'Italian tune-up'. Basically, rag the hell out of it (legally and safely of course), get it up to temp then give it loads of beans. Don't be afraid to get it up to red line, clear the crap out of it. I did this to Mother in Law's 1.4 auto civic. The damn thing wouldn't even kick down, took 160 miles of London and back giving it hell before it worked again, but it helped it no end. Went from barely moving to being capable to pulling the skin off a rice pudding (just, gutless heap!)

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

This last week I've been revving it a lot more and generally being a little more aggressive on the gas off the line during my town commute. I dunno if it's just a placebo, but today on the motorway I felt like the engine is being a bit more gutsy.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it sum's up my old mk1 1.6 Focus to a T unfortunately and that's just recently had a new coil , leads and plugs fitted and tbh my last car i got rid of a 2001 1.5 hyundai Accent with only 90bhp which is suppose to be slower was a damn sight quicker so not sure what i'll be doing with it in the long run but as soon as i can i will be replacing the air and fuel filter and maybe the plugs for NGKs  ..

On 16/02/2015 at 3:46 PM, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

LOL :whistling:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club