Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Full Tank Mileage Range Incorrect

Rajk

On 6/24/2016 at 11:24 PM, Bobr said:

My trip computer tells me that when idling it uses .1 of a gallon an hour.

Yes, that makes 2-3 hours per litre.

Similarly, AC adds 0.1 gallons per hour. AC drain will be based on running time, not mileage covered.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I just got my new 67 plate Ford Fiesta a few days back, Stating when i fill the petrol up, bare in mind, i used Asda petrol as i thought nothing different

Says full tank 266 miles, My MPG is 28.8, im not putting my foot down, just sticking to speed limit and using cruise control and its barely going back up

what is the problem with this?

And why am i only getting 266 on a full tank surely there is a problem there?

Please advise someone...

4 hours ago, Carl blake said:

Hi.

I just got my new 67 plate Ford Fiesta a few days back, Stating when i fill the petrol up, bare in mind, i used Asda petrol as i thought nothing different

Says full tank 266 miles, My MPG is 28.8, im not putting my foot down, just sticking to speed limit and using cruise control and its barely going back up

what is the problem with this?

And why am i only getting 266 on a full tank surely there is a problem there?

Please advise someone...

It will take a few thousand miles to settle down, mines 2 1/2 years old and its now getting much better economy (55 mpg on a long run)  than it used to

• Like 1

My 1.6 TDCI Econetic from 2009, does these kinds of wrong readouts as well.

It does depend on your driving style. When i drive the car weekly it stays at around max 400KM to empty. When my girlfriend drives it, figures go up to 800km.

And that distance to empty gauge value varies as you drive along. Keep the car at a decent speed, no stop start, figure goes up, otherwise it goes down. Sometimes it even stays at 300 ~ 400KM (distance to empty) for a few days, then it drops. Best thing to do, fill it up, reset trip, do the math next time you fill up and see the exact mpg on that run. Do this a couple of times, and average the results.

I do think that the most realistic mpg figure is the highest one (town driving), or around that value anyway! 

I also wonder if tools like "Ultragauge" would give a more accurate result regarding the mpg, distance to empty, etc. 

Sounds like a dodgy reading, 28.8mpg sounds like it would be hard to achieve.

Even new the worst I was averaging was 43mpg 

49 minutes ago, sioneon said:

Sounds like a dodgy reading, 28.8mpg sounds like it would be hard to achieve.

Even new the worst I was averaging was 43mpg 

Not really its brand new - a few days old he said , I wouldn't even bother looking for the first few hundred miles.

Nah brand new I was still reading a sensible figure, I agree give it a few more miles but it doesn't sound right unless the foot is almost through the firewall all the time

On 09/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tiexen said:

Not really its brand new - a few days old he said , I wouldn't even bother looking for the first few hundred miles.

I have now done 490 miles in 2 weeks

mpg : stick around 35-36 mpg as I do so much around town driving

i went down to 42 miles left put £30 in it went up to 3 quarters of a tank and it says 226 miles so I am wondering if it is getting better

On 08/10/2017 at 7:13 AM, Tiexen said:

It will take a few thousand miles to settle down, mines 2 1/2 years old and its now getting much better economy (55 mpg on a long run)  than it used to

I'm now on 490 miles and it's up to 35-36 mpg

On 09/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tiexen said:

I've done 490 miles in 2 weeks

gone up to 35-36 mpg

had 42 miles left

put £30 in went up to 226 miles and it was on 3 quarters

On 08/10/2017 at 11:24 AM, TDR|XTC said:

My 1.6 TDCI Econetic from 2009, does these kinds of wrong readouts as well.

It does depend on your driving style. When i drive the car weekly it stays at around max 400KM to empty. When my girlfriend drives it, figures go up to 800km.

And that distance to empty gauge value varies as you drive along. Keep the car at a decent speed, no stop start, figure goes up, otherwise it goes down. Sometimes it even stays at 300 ~ 400KM (distance to empty) for a few days, then it drops. Best thing to do, fill it up, reset trip, do the math next time you fill up and see the exact mpg on that run. Do this a couple of times, and average the results.

I do think that the most realistic mpg figure is the highest one (town driving), or around that value anyway! 

I also wonder if tools like "Ultragauge" would give a more accurate result regarding the mpg, distance to empty, etc. 

All my driving is pretty much around town

do like 20-30 miles per day a lot of stop and start got it from 28.8 mpg up to 35-36 now but that's because I reset the trip I might fill it up and reset it once more and see what it does

but with 42 miles left and put £30 in and went up to 226

for £30 I'm getting 184 miles quite ***** I think 

1 hour ago, Carl blake said:

All my driving is pretty much around town

do like 20-30 miles per day a lot of stop and start got it from 28.8 mpg up to 35-36 now but that's because I reset the trip I might fill it up and reset it once more and see what it does

but with 42 miles left and put £30 in and went up to 226

for £30 I'm getting 184 miles quite ***** I think 

What's your average speed?

after a couple of weeks of pottering around I refilled and it was showing 320miles range - I then drove 200  miles at around 60 mph and my range (without refuelling) was showing 350 miles! so don't take too  much notice of the computer - the only real way to check is to fill it to the brim drive around then refill to the brim and then work out your MPG from that

I think with new cars you need to break in the engine and this probably will make it more efficient. With me I just look at my average mpg. I wouldn't trust the miles to empty as it can quickly go up or down. Yesterday I went to put diesel in and when I checked the miles to empty it went above 50 miles (the refuel light would come on when below 50) turning off the refuel light. I'm averaging 47.5 mpg and this is on 30mph roads which I don't think is bad. Your driving style would also factor in. I try not to brake harshly all the time, have a habit of putting the car in neutral with the clutch up when stationary (don't know if this affects mpg) and Im trying to get in the habit of engine braking rather than coasting. I think it has increased my mpg slightly. 

3 hours ago, zain611 said:

I think with new cars you need to break in the engine and this probably will make it more efficient. With me I just look at my average mpg. I wouldn't trust the miles to empty as it can quickly go up or down. Yesterday I went to put diesel in and when I checked the miles to empty it went above 50 miles (the refuel light would come on when below 50) turning off the refuel light. I'm averaging 47.5 mpg and this is on 30mph roads which I don't think is bad. Your driving style would also factor in. I try not to brake harshly all the time, have a habit of putting the car in neutral with the clutch up when stationary (don't know if this affects mpg) and Im trying to get in the habit of engine braking rather than coasting. I think it has increased my mpg slightly. 

Not in gear when stopped  won't affect mpg (but it will save your clutch) those of us with start stop will save,  coasting uses more fuel than leaving it in gear

• Thanks 1

My average speed I do is normally between 35-40 reset my trip and got it up to 45 mpg atm refilled first time I got my car I had 266 miles on full tank

now when I refilled second time it showed 287 very weird 

I can't say why you are getting such low mpg figures but here's some info from the Fiesta Owners manual. (images from the official manual)

I got my Fiesta ST-Line with the 140 bhp engine just over a year ago, it was new with 90 miles delivery mileage.

I reset the AVG mpg setting before I drove it. I followed the manuals instructions for running the car in.

My first trip was about 30 miles of mixed roads with about 5 miles of dual carriageway at about 60 -70 mph it showed on display as about 47.5mpg.

Since then I have covered about 8500 miles and now get about 50 to 55mpg on my 30 mile round commute according to the display (about 450miles  per tank). I have check this by brimming the tank a few times and it's about 3 to 5% optimistic. I'm not driving that slowly or carefully to achieve that, I'm doing 70mph (ish) on the motorways and generally keeping up with the traffic on the other roads

The mpg went up after I'd covered about 3500 miles but that may just be temperature related.

I've tried premium fuels but not noticed any difference in mpg from my current Sainsburys super unleaded.

Take note of the manual about fuel filling, it says you need to be consistent with the way you fill it and not have more than 2 automatic pump cut offs to get realistic readings.

fiesta fuel 1.JPG

fiesta fuel 2.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club