Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Full Tank Mileage Range Incorrect

Rajk

Hi, new to the forum. My wife recently purchased a Fiesta 1.0 eco boost titanium model. The expected range of a full tank is according to the ford website around 600 miles, however the range displayed on our car is roughly 275 on a full tank and that is what we are getting before we have to fill up again

It is mainly used for local driving, she drives carefully and even uses the stop start function. The full tank still costs the same amount of around £50, so it's not the tank size.

Mileage on 4/1/2015 was 27441 when I filled up - range States 271 miles to 0

mileage on 7/1/2015 was 27701 before I filled up - range States 273 to 0

So we only got 260 miles between fill ups.

Does anyone have any ideas .

Hi, new to the forum. My wife recently purchased a Fiesta 1.0 eco boost titanium model. The expected range of a full tank is according to the ford website around 600 miles, however the range displayed on our car is roughly 275 on a full tank and that is what we are getting before we have to fill up again

It is mainly used for local driving, she drives carefully and even uses the stop start function. The full tank still costs the same amount of around £50, so it's not the tank size.

I have a 1.25 2009 mk7, full tank gets me around 270-274 miles.

I dont know how they calculate it but the miles to empty reading varies depending on how you're driving from what i've read. But ive never gotten more than 274 out of it before needing to fill up. I do 20 miles a day, half motorway half A roads

That can't be right either, I have a Mazda 1.6 diesel and the range on a full tank is around the 600 mark. The tank range should show 600, it's the driving style that reduces the mpg, but as soon as you fill up it should show the full range. If others comment the same then surely this is incorrect advertising by Ford.

I also have a work colleague who has a 2013 1.0 ecoboost, he gets around 350-400 miles out of a full tank, so it claims but he says he gets less

Mine generally reports about 350 initially but eventually settles showing what I've used (trip) plus range to about 400. Just now though I'm getting around 340/350 or so. You won't get 600 odd unless you can achieve fords figures of 60 odd to gallon......which you won't.

Expect 40-45 for everyday driving. Maybe 50 odd on a long trip down motorway at respectable speeds.

It might report the full 600 if you also reset your average but no point as you won't get it.

I have a 14 plate titanium eco 100.

These engines aren't as economical as ford make them out to be.

I have the new Fiesta ST and get roughly 450 miles to a full tank, mostly motorway driving though

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Where do you fill up? I have found my car gives better fuel economy on Shell fuel , I dont use supermarket stuff

• Like 1

Mines always shows 400-450 miles on a full tank. I think it takes your average mpg and calculates the miles to 0 from that. If it always showed 600 miles to 0 there would be a lot of complaints to Ford haha

• Like 2

I heard the fuel to empty display is just an estimate obviously, changes depending on your mpg, I just so a mile to empty may get you more than a mile or less, like I literally just did a 3.1 mile journey and my fuel went from 87.5 miles left, up to 87.9 and then down to 86.9 at the end of the journey, as an example if that's helpful at all :-\

• Like 1

Ifoundmyalloys is correct,the mileage is worked out from how you last drove the car.If you were averaging 50mpg,ran the car dry and then put 3 gallon in it would show 150mile to empty.If you averaged 35mpg ran it dry and put 3gallon in it would show 105mile to empty.If you then drove all the time at say 100mph after you put the 3 gallon in it will re-adjust the to empty mileage after a few mile,

• Like 2

So I guess when they post the specs, they're posting what the car could do under super economic driving circumstances, and not what it could do in reality?

• Like 1

Where do you fill up? I have found my car gives better fuel economy on shell fuel , I dont use supermarket stuff

Usually fill up at Morrisons, might try a non-supermarket fuel next then.

Cars are tested in as far from real world driving conditions as it's possible to achieve !

Mine generally reports about 350 initially but eventually settles showing what I've used (trip) plus range to about 400. Just now though I'm getting around 340/350 or so. You won't get 600 odd unless you can achieve fords figures of 60 odd to gallon......which you won't.

Expect 40-45 for everyday driving. Maybe 50 odd on a long trip down motorway at respectable speeds.

It might report the full 600 if you also reset your average but no point as you won't get it.

I have a 14 plate titanium eco 100.

These engines aren't as economical as ford make them out to be.

I can second this, I have a 1.0 125 14 reg and I do about 350-380 a tank at the moment, averaging about 41 MPG. I expect it'll rise a bit in the summer though. If I tried to drive economically I'd probably get a bit more, but where's the fun in that?

I don't do any motorways (tbh, my route is probably as bad for economy as it could be, changes terrain so often), if I did it'd probably be a bit higher too.

I get about 600km per tank on my 1.6l, so thats about 350 miles per tank, when just driving in town I do get a bit less and a bit more on the open road, I have driven for about 12 000km now with my car and never reset the avg. its standing on 7.1l per 100km so that works out to exactly 592km avg, I would say 75% of my driving is in town driving.

If we think fords figures are bad. Did anyone see the BMW i8 on top gear. A hybrid car. Reported something like 138 mpg. Jeremy got 31 mpg. Lol

That BMW returned those unrealistic m.p.g. figures in a laboratory ! Enough said !

I've averaged around 400 miles from a full tank since I got my Ecoboost ZS Mk7.5 last July :) approx 44 mpg

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• 1 year later...

I have a fiesta titanium 64 plate and it says about 320 on a full tank{that's with 2 or 3 clicks from nozzle} so it seems the stats are wrong that said its a lovely car

On 16/02/2015 at 5:59 PM, Rajk said:

Hi Raj, There's something wrong there.   I have exactly the same car and I get well over 400 miles to a tank full. And, as it happens, that's on Morrisons fuel.

Mpg figures are tested on a rolling road in a laboratory and the distance travelled bears no resemblance to even 'nipping down the local shops'! 

Manufacturers figures are all about sales and the stated mpg bears NO resemblance to ordinary day to day driving so when a salesman quotes you "gazillion miles to the gallon" take it as a pile of horses manure! 

Why people believe stated figures is beyond me.....behold, this link explains why :- http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

• Like 1

On 2/16/2015 at 5:59 PM, Rajk said:

The expected range of a full tank is according to the ford website around 600 miles, however the range displayed on our car is roughly 275 on a full tank and that is what we are getting before we have to fill up again

It is mainly used for local driving, she drives carefully and even uses the stop start function.

You won't get 600 miles. This is from a government test procedure, which is the only figure manufacturers are allowed to use and doesn't reflect real world conditions.

Stop/start only makes a small difference - if not used, an engine can idle for 2-3 hours on a litre.

Conversely, if air conditioning is used, this uses about a litre per 2-3 hours of running time. So if your 275 miles is at an average of 15mph (have a look at the average speed on the display) that's 18 hours, which could be 6 to 9 litres.

You don't tell us how many litres you are putting in. I usually go down to the warning and put in about 36-38. So that's 32-34mpg for your 275 miles. It's roughly in the right region.

10 minutes ago, David73 said:

Stop/start only makes a small difference - if not used, an engine can idle for 2-3 hours on a litre.

My trip computer tells me that when idling it uses .1 of a gallon an hour.

Hi I have a 2013 1.0 ecoboost 125 and according to the computer I get around 55 MPG, mostly town driving but thats on Shell V power Nitro, I've tried ordinary Shell fuel but that just gets me 47 MPG, the tank usually states just over 400 miles to empty of which I get quite close to.

On 16/02/2015 at 5:59 PM, Rajk said:

Ask for the VAT receipts at the garage next time, they give the litres used (accurate, unlike car fuel gauges!).

Various reports on this site suggest these 1l ecoboosts are not giving anything like the mpg that Ford claim!

But you really need brim to brim fills & the litres used to tell.