Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Tdci Purchased - What To Check

Danjo

Hey all, new member here but I've been hanging around a while.

I've just purchased a 2005 1.8Tdci Mk2 Focus Titanium. In lovely condition all round for the milage (121k) especially inside, full service history, and didnt cost too much either. I'm just wondering what parts I should service / replace myself now, and any additions you all would recommend. I've already replaced the glow plugs as they were rather blackened and reluctant to heat up, replaced the air filter, and fitted the mist washer jets. What else should I look out for under the bonnet?

Obviously the 125k service will be coming up where a fair amount will need to be checked, I just want to be on top of everything before that comes around so I dont get any nasty suprises.

I've also heard very good things about the remap on the 1.8Tdci, is that still recommended for an engine with this amount of miles?

Thanks for your time!

New fuel filter would be top of my list.

Welcome, and a good choice!

A few things to check is if the Cambelt/water pump has been changed? if not then you are in the danger zone and should get it replaced asap, if that snaps then it is game over

Also the Dual Mass Flywheel, if you notice any chance in sounds, or any rattly sounds when releasing the clutch, it could be on its way out.

One other thing to look out for is the 90 degree intercooler hose on the top left of the engine, right next to the coolant expansion tank. these are known to split and you will notice some wooshing sounds when the turbo kicks in. this can be replaced by a silicone version off eBay which will last much longer than the rubber ones.

other than that, not much else to go wrong. hope you have a happy life with the car :)

Remap is highly recommended. i will be doing one myself very soon, the engine can go up to 150bhp with the right remap

I looked at a few around the same milage, one had a very obvious dmf problem and was shaking the joints loose in my left leg. This one seems quite happy, not felt like its got any issues in the clutch department.

I dont think the cambelt has been done, I will check with the garage listed in the service history but I think its due at 125k? So I dont think they would have done it before that. I'm very keen to do that ASAP as you say, dont want to lose the car to that. I'll take a look at the intercooler hose, might just replace it with that silicone version just to be on the safe side.

Is it recommended to block the EGR with a plate on these? I've heard lots of talk about it, but wonder if it will hinder the engine warming up on my relatively short drives to work (10 - 15 mins).

Love the car so far! I have found it rather easy to stall compared to some other cars though, though i feel thats just a quirk of the car and me not being used to it.

The 1.8TDCI can be a bit easy to stall when pulling off (I think Ford played safe with the ECU to protect the rather expensive DMF). With mine it just took a little bit of time to get used to it, I've not had a remap but 1 of my mates did, got 146BHP & no significant drop if fuel economy. The engine block is cast not aluminium so although it's heavier it also means it pretty much bulletproof as long as there is at least some oil in it!

+1 for the fuel filter (make sure you have a primer pump) otherwise getting the air out of the system can be a right pain the !Removed!.

I've got 115K on mine & the clutch still seems solid (famous last words!).

If yours is Titanium does that mean you've got the 6 speed box?

Id get the cambelt/water pump done just to be on the safe side. make sure you get genuine ford or Gates (who make the ford parts)

as posted above, the EGR will help with pulling away. i would go as far as to say it is mandatory to fit an EGR blanking plate, i forgot to mention this on my initial post.

and he will have the 5 speed box, i believe on the mondeos/galaxy had the 6 speed. the Focus kept the 5 speed

I thought it would just be a case of me getting used to it, seems to pull away okay just creeping but if i give it any throttle it feels like its going to die. The remap is extremely tempting, got to save up that £300 + whatever the insurance goes up by. I do quite like that its a solid lump of an engine.

I'll get on the fuel filter this weekend I think, as well as the EGR plate if people recommend that and it doesnt affect the cold morning starts / trips.

It is the Titanium but i think only the 2.0Tdci was fitted with the 6 speed, got a 5 speed here.

Hi Dan, the only thing that as not been said by the others, is the recall notice that was put out for 2005 focus by ford, for a wiring mod to the engine cooling fan, the mod was just a small wiring loom to stop the fan from running after the car is turned off, this was to stop the wiring from burning out, had mine done, but since then I have changed the fan unit to a new one, but still kept the wiring loom fitted. you can find out if yours has been done at any ford dealers.

Aha! I believe you've solved the great mystery of "What the hell is that wire coming out the fusebox for". I've got a wire coming out of the main loom in the fusebox that runs out of the box down under the headlight towards the front. Assuming this means I've had the mod fitted and dont need to worry?

Just rang the garage who performed the last few services. Apparently it had a timing belt done at 106k, had around 40 invoices attached to the car, seems someone looked after it well!

It is the Titanium but i think only the 2.0Tdci was fitted with the 6 speed, got a 5 speed here.

I've just checked & you're bang on the money

Had the waterpump and cambelt done as soon as I bought my 1.8TDCi; defiantly recommend that.

The EGR blanking plate transformed my car nicely, although warm up times have increased particularly in the cold weather we've had recently. With the blower on too, it can be quite some distance before my engine begins to get warm unless I'm traveling upwards of 40mph.

To begin with, the car was easy to stall and wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear but you'll get used to the engines characteristics in no time!

I love the engine but the biggest downside is the lack of a 6 speed gear box and shame it didn't come with the 123bhp version of the engine the Mondeo had. Big shame.

Happy driving :D

Hey there i know im probs on the wrong thread for this and im new but i have just purchased a 1.8tdci and im thoroughly enjoying the car but a few minor hicups have occurred, when starting the car cold within the first 5 seconds of driving the car my electrics seem to all stop for about 3 seconds then turn back on and alls fine for the rest of a journey , the problem is i believe its blowing my dipped beam lights, im getting the car serviced and generally inspected tommorow but any help would be great. Great car this issue is just stopping me fully enjoying it as i dont know if the bulbs will blow on a dark road.

Thanks jack.

Hey there i know im probs on the wrong thread for this and im new but i have just purchased a 1.8tdci and im thoroughly enjoying the car but a few minor hicups have occurred, when starting the car cold within the first 5 seconds of driving the car my electrics seem to all stop for about 3 seconds then turn back on and alls fine for the rest of a journey , the problem is i believe its blowing my dipped beam lights, im getting the car serviced and generally inspected tommorow but any help would be great. Great car this issue is just stopping me fully enjoying it as i dont know if the bulbs will blow on a dark road.

Thanks jack

Get the garage to check the battery & alternator to ensure the electrical systems are getting enough juice. Diesels pull a lot of electrical juice when they are just getting going. If that doesn't turn up anything I'd ask them to check the earth's to make sure everything is grounded correctly. As a last resort they can plug in the diagnostics & check all the live data (voltages etc) & check for any error codes (most garages will charge for this which is why I'd say get them to try all the easy/manual stuff 1st). If they don't sort it for you just post again & plenty of people will try to help.

Good luck

Hello everyone just back from the garage there, one of the connectors to the battery (positive i think) was very loose which could cause this like you have said and altenater looks brand new, waiting for car to cool to see if problem persists, thanks for the help

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club