Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Egr Valve Fitted, Still Not Starting?

carmad76

So last tuesday my Mondeo decided as i was accelerating to stop altogether, managed to pull over and the rac towed me home.

The rac guys laptop and my fault code reader have failed to find any codes so i trawled the forums and seemed to come upon the same answer, egr valve

I tried cleaning it out and thought, sod it and brought a new one.

Having fitted it today then trying to start it no joy

Have tried some easy start too but to no avail.

What's the next port of call? All help will be greatly appreciated

p.s. would almost start completely with easy start, but not fully

Presumably from what you have said the engine is turning over normally? doesnt sound any different or faster etc

Hi guys, trying to turn over as normal and its the 2.0 tdci

The intercooler to E.G.R.V. hose is a common culprit , M.A.F. sensor is another possible cause, so is the E.G.R.V. itself - is it blanked off ?

The intercooler to E.G.R.V. hose is a common culprit , M.A.F. sensor is another possible cause, so is the E.G.R.V. itself - is it blanked off ?

Yep, blanked off when new valve fitted yesterday

remove and check the crank sensor for signs of swarf as this will block the signal, also when was the fuel filter last changed.

remove and check the crank sensor for signs of swarf as this will block the signal, also when was the fuel filter last changed.

thanks for the reply but i need help, where is the crank sensor located? im mechanically minded but not sure on some stuff, also have no idea when fuel filter was last changed but car has got full service history so will look through that

Update: Had a mobile mechanic come down with his computer, ruled out and cleared old codes and seems to think that it is a faulty injector (stuck open?) or worse, the diesel pump has gone for a burton.

Seems it has low fuel pressure.

If it has low fuel pressure then it won't start, but a squirt of easy start should make it fire up and cut out once the easystart has been consumed which would certainly confirm there is no fuel or low fuel pressure.

Low fuel pressure could be due to any number of reasons, even the fuel filter seal being trapped when it has been changed, has it had a service recently before the problem started? Sometimes it is easy to overlook very simple solutions to why a car is not starting.

I am not that familiar with the Mondeo as I have a Focus TDCI.

What code readers have been used on it? Really it needs IDS or at least forscan to be able to be sure what error codes are present or to confirm there are none, if there are no codes at all from IDS then you need to start looking at other options.

If it's low fuel pressure, I would change the filter in hope that it fixes the problem for the sake of £20.

If it has low fuel pressure then it won't start, but a squirt of easy start should make it fire up and cut out once the easystart has been consumed which would certainly confirm there is no fuel or low fuel pressure.

Low fuel pressure could be due to any number of reasons, even the fuel filter seal being trapped when it has been changed, has it had a service recently before the problem started? Sometimes it is easy to overlook very simple solutions to why a car is not starting.

I am not that familiar with the Mondeo as I have a Focus TDCI.

What code readers have been used on it? Really it needs IDS or at least forscan to be able to be sure what error codes are present or to confirm there are none, if there are no codes at all from IDS then you need to start looking at other options.

it was the full on snap-on scanner a professional mechanic used, had all the official ford and other software on it.

after he cleared some historical codes, he kept getting the same faults every time he tried to start ie low fuel pressure

haven't checked the fuel filter as i am not sure where it is, as I said previously i don't mind getting my hands dirty but its been a long time since i went around an engine bay

edit: it hasnt had a service before this happened

Edited by carmad76

If it's low fuel pressure, I would change the filter in hope that it fixes the problem for the sake of £20.

Could it be something that simple?

and is the filter after or before the firing "point"?

Well presumably the low fuel pressure fault code will be low pressure at the pump or rail - if no fuel or not enough fuel is getting through then the result will be low pressure.

The filter is in the rear left hand corner of the engine bay as you look at it.

Round canister type thing? sorry for my technical description :D

Check the electrical fuel priming pump located under the vehicle at the side of the fuel tank

And so the end is near, i have had the fuel filter checked, the injectors checked and no faults or blockages found.

The mechanic who looked at it then removed the rocker cover and found 2-3 bolts loose and hanging out, which now means any number of things could be wrong apparently!!

I dont have any more time to invest in this car so sadly looks like it will end up stripped or scrapped and a heavy loss out my pocket

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys but its time for it to face the final curtain

Sounds like the cam chain broke/ slipped, pistons hit valves which break the cam carrier caps , then loose bolts etc.seen it before a couple of times on transits that use same engine

• Like 1

Sounds like the cam chain broke/ slipped, pistons hit valves which break the cam carrier caps , then loose bolts etc.seen it before a couple of times on transits that use same engine

Yep i think thats what the mechanic tried to get over to me that it may have slipped, oh well gotta decide if im gonna stick with ford or not now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club