Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full Size Alloy Spare Wheel Hold Down Device & Tailgate Opening Restriction

Keefyjet

Further to my last (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/59386-spare-wheel-etc/), I’ve now replaced the next-to-useless Ford-supplied puncture outfit with a proper spare wheel and tyre. I don’t mean a Mickey Mouse temporary type either; it’s a full-size alloy, exactly matching the 4 fitted road wheels – even having the same make/size (thus tread pattern) tyre. It fits in the wheel well ok (unlike some might have you believe) with just a slight protuberance (no more than 10mm), height-wise, due to the tyre’s sidewall bulge. However this presents no real problem, floor-wise, and I can even still use the old cover under the carpets, if I so wish.

I just need to organise a retainer (hold down) that doesn’t protrude beyond tyre height and can reach the threaded mounting bracket welded to the wheel well floor. I may be able to use the existing retaining rod (and circlip) but its plastic conical washer is not suitable. It needs an inverted top-hat shaped washer that is quite deep (maybe 50mm or so), and has a hat o/d which fits inside the 57mm centre bore of the alloy wheel but also has an i/d that clears the handle of the rod, which then continues down though a small clearance hole (in the ‘top’ of the hat) and into the threaded mounting bracket. A washer between the stop-flange of the rod and the ‘top’ of the hat may be required. The top hat washer also (obviously) needs a brim that sits over the top of the wheel and holds it down. The material of the top hat needs to be fairly strong, of course, and the brim may need to have a washer of suitably soft material, to prevent damage to the wheel face.

Another possibility, instead of the top hat method, is a conical type hat (like a fez) maybe?

On a different tack, does anyone know a decent way of restricting the tailgate height (opening arc or strut stroke) on the Fusion – as mine hits the open door of my garage and is something of a nuisance. It probably needs only a small amount of restriction, as it looks to be almost, but not quite, fully open.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem regarding opening the hatch whilst in the garage.

I just fitted a 2 " thick piece of foam padding up the length of the garage door so the hatch hits this and not any of the metal door....so no paint scratched.

I had the same problem with the spare wheel retaining bolt, I own a mk7.5 fiesta & all the parts listed were either too long or too short. I used the retaining bolt listed for the fiesta van & forced the plastic bit down the bolt until it was at the correct length.

The tailgate problem, as already mentioned, just put some sponge on the garage door where the tailgate will touch it.

I had the same problem regarding opening the hatch whilst in the garage.

I just fitted a 2 " thick piece of foam padding up the length of the garage door so the hatch hits this and not any of the metal door....so no paint scratched.

Yes, it might come to something like that. Pity though; I was trying to avoid attaching something to the garage door.

I’m surprised that, in this day and age, there’s no decent restriction device available designed to attach to a vehicle’s tailgate – or

even adjustable gas struts or struts with less stroke.

This seems to be an untapped market, maybe? Surely we aren’t the only 2 on the planet with this issue?

My dad has a fusion & we just avoid opening the tailgate whilst it is in the garage.

I had the same problem with the spare wheel retaining bolt, I own a mk7.5 fiesta & all the parts listed were either too long or too short. I used the retaining bolt listed for the fiesta van & forced the plastic bit down the bolt until it was at the correct length.

The tailgate problem, as already mentioned, just put some sponge on the garage door where the tailgate will touch it.

I’ve had a rethink.

I’m now planning to use the large nylon washer supplied - it fits nicely, without scratching the face of the alloy wheel (although I may add a felt washer to its underside face). This will be combined with a small plastic thumbwheel, which sits sub-flush within the dish of the washer. The thumbwheel has a 20mm long M6 thread that will be attached, via an M6 stainless steel nut coupler, to a suitable length of stainless steel M6 all-thread. I will probably add a suitable stainless steel washer between the thumbwheel and the nylon washer and maybe use some thread loc when I’m happy all is ok.

My dad has a fusion & we just avoid opening the tailgate whilst it is in the garage.

Yes, not very nice if it’s pi**ing down though, or blowing a gale – and why have a garage if you cannot utilise it fully?

On a similar vein: I guess if I didn’t have a garage I wouldn’t have this problem?

Life is just so simple for some.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club