Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Petrol Focus Under Heating

AutomatedAnimal

Hi all I got a 2006 55 focus 1.6 petrol it's having a problem that it doesn't get upto temperature unless stationary. As soon as you drive the water and engine temp both drop the same happens if the blowers in side are on hot. Had the thermostat replaced and seemed to work for about a week. Took it back and he replaced a temp sensor but that hasn't done anything. Anyone had any problem like this?

If you're basin the info on the temp gauge that's t lhe coolant temp not engine do it will go down if you're using the blowers you'll find the engine temp will be pretty much where it should be its Cold so the thermostat wont be doing much the coolant will be going straight through the head not the radiator it will get hot open the thermostat go through the rad but now its overcooling so it goes back through the head but you've got the heaters on hot drawing the heat away from the coolant hence why the gauge goes down leave it alone till the warmer weather you may find you're spending money for no reason

Thanks for the reply I put it into test mode which is giving me the engine temperature and this is varying with the coolant temperature. The blowers don't blow hot air either its cold by the time it's near my face, and it's set to hot, it worked fine for a week and a half after the thermostat was changed but not now. Also mpg is down by 8 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

post-63191-142467204201_thumb.jpgpost-63191-14246721381_thumb.jpg

These photos show what's going on. I let the engine idle to get the gauge to mid way. Then the first photo is after about a mile and the second after about 4 miles.

post-63191-142467798678_thumb.jpg

This is what is what showing after a 10 mile drive this morning hardly moved

Did you have any error codes?

I have via a diagnostics tool not the 'test mode'.

P2678 - Coolant Degassing Valve Control Circuit / Open

My symptoms are undercooling and cabin taking a while to heat up. Like you, if I idle whilst stationary my coolant temp will rise to the middle after a time and stay there until moving then it will drop. In winter especially in will drop back to 60c. In the summer it was higher as I guess you would expect.

The DTC relates to the coolant Solenoid which is located on the 1.6 ti-vct 115bhp on the right hand side in front of the air box.

Part number: 1223988 SOLENOID ASSY

If you google this problem you'll find links to Russian and Polish forums (where it's much colder!) and replacing that solenoid fixed it from what I can make out through google translate!

I am only just getting around to fixing this. Going to do it myself in the next week or so.

I might have a problem with my thermostat as well but I'm going to try replacing the solenoid first as it's easy enough for me to be able to do it. Hopefully this might help you.

Unfortunately it hasn't thrown up any fault codes which is why we're left stumped as to what it could be. Many thanks for the reply I'll have a look into it.

Is there a diagnostics screen on the dash or do I need a computer to plug in? The guy at the garage said he couldn't find a fault code though.

The dash has a 'test mode' but you need a plug in diagnostics.

Read this thread.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

If you have a laptop and get an elm327 cable you can use the free program Forscan which can display codes etc. There are others.

I'm not saying my fault code is the solution to your problem though. I'm not sure when I replace the solenoid it will fix mine. Will let you know though when I get around to it this or next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those that replied the garage finally tested the thermostat and that had failed. Replaced it and now all seems good.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club