Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I've got a George wet and dry vac I never use, used about twice in its life I think....probably should sell it :unsure:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to use a wet vac?  I've used a carpet cleaner which sprays hot water down into the pile, are you supposed to replicate that part yourself with a squirty bottle lol?

Carpet cleaners are awesome for cleaning manky interiors though!  :D

I'm not sure how you're supposed to use a wet vac?  I've used a carpet cleaner which sprays hot water down into the pile, are you supposed to replicate that part yourself with a squirty bottle lol?

As long as you do it on a hot summers day with a nice long period ahead where you don't NEED to drive.. I wouldn't be surprised if my @55 was still drenched now from using one a year ago!

Bucket of hot water with carpet shampoo and a scrubbing brush lol

I got a crackin' little brush in Asda a few years ago specifically for car interiors.

This method is more effective than a Rug Doctor - a little more labour intensive though.

Hmm, sounds like effort lol.  I didn't use a Rug Doctor, borrowed an industrial Vax.  It all dried quickly tbf though, but that was the middle of summer!

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If you think, carpet cleaners are awesome: what would you make of steam vacuums, commercial models though.  The domestic ones aren't up too much, but then they are a fraction of commercial prices

Consider the following, Brandy or one of the cats has a sloppy poo incident, overnight on the beige hall carpet, near the radiator, covering an area of 30cm.  Because I'm asleep, and am unaware of the accident, it both soaks in and dries out into solid pat, held firmly by the carpet tufts. Whilst a carpet cleaner could tackle part of it, you'd have to work on it, yourself mechanically with scrapers and brushes. You'll also have a damp carpet afterwards

With a commercial steam vacuum, blast it with 120°C steam for 10 minutes with the steam nozzle, change tools to the carpet tool (with the steam mutli nozzles distributor bar) switch on the vacuum, and suck it all up.  The carpet when you've finished is warm but completely dry,  and of course, without blemish

I bought the predecessor to this, not for overnight poo incidents as such, but when Brandy got a bad case of mange and vet said I needed to sterilise the house as the mites will be everywhere, suggesting I might want to bring in a professional to do it, or hire the equipment and do it myself.  I decided to buy the equipment and then have it for deep cleansing in in future.

http://www.cleantek.vapourtek.co.uk/stology-650_steamvacuum.htm

I don't like cleaning the Punto and seeing that the bonnet release lever is slack, and then realising the cable is no longer attached to the mechanism.  Didn't have a chance to remove it and have a closer look, but I'm hoping that the end of the cable has just came away from the lever and it hasn't snapped, which is a common problem and very labour intensive to fix. 

I'm so damn annoyed at it, because the bonnet release on the old Focus broke and resulted in a £200 garage bill to fix and I cannot afford that again! :wallbash:

You're not warming me to the idea of pet ownership there Ghana!! :lol:  I've never tried steam cleaners though, one to try in future. :)

Jamie, how hard can a cable be to change yourself?  Labour intensive usually means many things need removing for access, doesn't mean they are difficult things. :)  I can't afford garage bills either so have done all of my own work for the last 5 years, car only goes in for MOTs... ;)

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You're not warming me to the idea of pet ownership there Ghana!! :lol:  I've never tried steam cleaners though, one to try in future. :)

Jamie, how hard can a cable be to change yourself?  Labour intensive usually means many things need removing for access, doesn't mean they are difficult things. :)  I can't afford garage bills either so have done all of my own work for the last 5 years, car only goes in for MOTs... ;)

Well it is a case (if the cable has indeed snapped) of having to get the bonnet open, but because the Punto's bonnet slopes down over where the catch is, getting it to open in the first place would be almost impossible.  The best way would probably be to get underneath and drop the radiator, but that too is almost impossible without a ramp. 

Well that's a pretty poor design lol.  I'm sure there's a cheap way to sort it though with a bit of bodging and brute force. :D

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well that's a pretty poor design lol.  I'm sure there's a cheap way to sort it though with a bit of bodging and brute force. :D

I'd certainly look into it, that's for sure.  Hopefully the end of the cable has just unattached itself from the lever and I can take it off and reattach. 

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The poo incidents aren't a frequent, or even a regular event.  Just an occasional incident, Bunty had one last summer, her third in 17 years.  Brandy and Molly are still  sloppy poo incident virgins.

38 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Well it is a case (if the cable has indeed snapped) of having to get the bonnet open, but because the Punto's bonnet slopes down over where the catch is, getting it to open in the first place would be almost impossible.  The best way would probably be to get underneath and drop the radiator, but that too is almost impossible without a ramp. 

You got any pallets or big blocks of wood to hand?  You can effect the height of a ramp, by jacking it and sliding in a pallet/lump of wood under the tyre.  Do the same on the other side, and then put the jack on the pallet and do it again; repeating until it's the height you want.  Providing you've got enough pallets, you can get it up, quite stupidly high.

There is a you tube of a couple Polish guys, doing this, but on all four wheels, raising it up to eye level, so they could change the exhaust, in comfort:laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GMX said:

The poo incidents aren't a frequent, or even a regular event.  Just an occasional incident, Bunty had one last summer, her third in 17 years.  Brandy and Molly are still  sloppy poo incident virgins.

You got any pallets or big blocks of wood to hand?  You can effect the height of a ramp, by jacking it and sliding in a pallet/lump of wood under the tyre.  Do the same on the other side, and then put the jack on the pallet and do it again; repeating until it's the height you want.  Providing you've got enough pallets, you can get it up, quite stupidly high.

There is a you tube of a couple Polish guys, doing this, but on all four wheels, raising it up to eye level, so they could change the exhaust, in comfort:laugh:

I don't have any pallets and even if I did, not too sure I am comfortable with that idea :unsure:

Worse comes to worst, I'll buy a new cable and put it in to a local back-street mechanic and see how cheaply he can do it.  It just p***** me off when things like this happen.

I'll try and take the lever off before I go to work tomorrow and hopefully it is just a case of reattaching the cable, rather than it having snapped.

:oops:Oh I forgot my don't like!:lol1:

Looking at my DTC log, and finding B1342 amongst them:ohmy:

I hope that is only temporary because the ECU wasn't getting enough power and objected accordingly

Family commitments have got in the way of doing the cars today

I wouldn't want to go much higher than about 20-30cm with the pallets (assuming it was on solid level ground), certainly wouldn't feel too happy being underneath a car with 150cm of stacked pallets, on a grassy sward!

Ghana, I don't much like the idea of steaming dried excrement, id imagine a peg would be required and the job would be horrendous, id be inclined the burn that patch of carpet!!!

7 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Ghana, I don't much like the idea of steaming dried !Removed!, id imagine a peg would be required and the job would be horrendous, id be inclined the burn that patch of carpet!!!

Yeah, I'd rather just replace that whole section of carpet.

I don't like exercises in paper pushing and form filling just to please those cardigan wearing clipboard carrying beige barstewards who are some how making a killing of a living asking stupid questions and demanding such forms!

Clearly the type of male chickens who would ask a caveman to fill out a risk assessment before he goes and hunts a mammoth!

First people to get cannibalised in an apocalyptic world!!!

• Like 2

Since yesterday's bump start failed, the Astra is blocking my wheelie bin route. Tomorrow is bin emptying day and we are one of the first bins to be emptied at 6am.  There's not enough space between the house wall and the Astra to wheel the bin through.  I can get through: but not with the bin in the conventional wheeling way.:ohmy:

In order to get my bin out, I've had pick it up and lift it above my head, keeping it quite erect and vertical.  So, it's lid didn't flap open and deposit last weeks waste on me:unsure:

It's fortunate it's only the 140L bin, it would've quite awkward to do move the wider 240L recycling bin in that fashion:lol1:

2 hours ago, Ianb said:

Ghana, I don't much like the idea of steaming dried !Removed!, id imagine a peg would be required and the job would be horrendous, id be inclined the burn that patch of carpet!!!

Contrary to how you might imagine, there isn't much of a smell as the steam breaks it down quickly, a faint aroma (like cat wind after a little too many cod pieces) but nothing  that would have you reaching for a peg.

When you come to finish and empty the contents of the waste tank, even that only smells of wet dust, like a damp antiquated bookshop.

Don't like being lurgied up. Felt a bit rough yesterday, felt rotten last night and feel worse this morning. I've got a mountain of work to get on with and meetings and I've been working and heaving on and off this morning. Haven't eaten anything so nothing to come up, but decided to strip off my layers (I was wearing 4-5) now down to 2. One of those days I'd like to tell everyone to go away or go home and go back to bed!

• Like 2

Ok, Mr Clipboard Cardigan man was a good bloke and very friendly... But the rest of them can kiss my tail pipe

• Like 1

Things I don't like today... it's Monday which means I have no motivation.  Got to go to the builders yard to see if they have any tote bags, ring HMRC and sort out paying even more Jeffing tax, got to fill said tote bags up with topsoil and gravel.  However I have managed to put the boards back onto the naff garden fence, which with funds allowing is something that will be replaced this year.  Shame I have to go back to work.  OH forgot to add, got loads of cardboard to take to the tip as well.  Why didn't I do this at the weekend :-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Preecematt said:

Things I don't like today... it's Monday which means I have no motivation.  Got to go to the builders yard to see if they have any tote bags, ring HMRC and sort out paying even more Jeffing tax, got to fill said tote bags up with topsoil and gravel.  However I have managed to put the boards back onto the naff garden fence, which with funds allowing is something that will be replaced this year.  Shame I have to go back to work.  OH forgot to add, got loads of cardboard to take to the tip as well.  Why didn't I do this at the weekend :-(

46 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Can you not burn or compost the cardboard?

Carboard and silage rich cow manure make excellent balanced compost:smile:

Shredded cardboard is even better, it will compost within 6 weeks, if shredded

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club