Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

No offence Phil, but looking at some of the local clowns I have to deal with, I can only say I'm glad they're earning under 30k! Any more would be an outrage. Slobs walking round offices with untucked shirts, top buttons undone (with ties) and trainers, I mean for crying out loud, shirt, trousers and shoes are not a big ask, it makes you look like you're there to work and gives me confidence that you're going to do some work!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ianb said:

No offence Phil, but looking at some of the local clowns I have to deal with, I can only say I'm glad they're earning under 30k! Any more would be an outrage. Slobs walking round offices with untucked shirts, top buttons undone (with ties) and trainers, I mean for crying out loud, shirt, trousers and shoes are not a big ask, it makes you look like you're there to work and gives me confidence that you're going to do some work!

Hear hear! :wink:

I happy for people to leap into changing rooms or toilets when the clock strikes home time and change into a fully pierced, mad man rocker, but I feel that we have come to accept a certain tidy image tends to equal a tidy mind and tidy work process - of course it's not 100% true, but someone who looks like they give a **** might just ACTUALLY give a ****.

Again, can't tar everyone with the same brush, there are well dressed delinquents, and scruffy geniuses and the council have some very helpful very good workers (in Plymouth), just sadly it tends to be those that aren't in any particular position to actually do anything!

• Like 1

Doesn't offend me I don't work for the council. They're like our poor relations haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I don't like that we've lost the warm balmy sunshine and dryness of earlier, as the front of storm Imogen have just started to make her presence felt with a sudden downpour. :sad: The wind too, has increased notably over the last hour, all the pine needles I raked off the lawns have been replaced with a fresh batch:unsure:

Today's weeding and forking the vegetable plots has come to an abrupt end.  I did however, find four potatoes, that were missed when their siblings were being harvested.  So, my potato mountain has reverted back to 47Kg! 

22 hours ago, Philf1 said:

The local paper's FOI request into local government officers salaries revealed there are seven civil servants on over £1million and numerous people with vague job titles on 100K, they also get very generous final salary pensions.  Although they've stopped that for new employees

There might be a very few probably in local authorities but trust me the majority of us earn under £30k and get pitiful pay rise of 1% a year if we're lucky. The pension used to compensate for the low pay but we

pay contributions like everyone else and for most the final salary pension is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I think that article was edited in such a way, to cause local uproar, against the council "look at what they're earning and look how much council tax you pay" and thus sell more papers.  There's quite a bit of council baiting by the paper.  Only yesterday they had an article about the huge quantities of sick leave, the paper claimed, that the highways department staff routinely take as extra holiday, allegedly up to an extra year on full pay.  Encouraged by both the employers and union.  It followed on from "letters to editor", as to why the various traffic improvements schemes that commenced in November didn't seem to have anyone working on them. The paper seems to base it's "facts" on local government on misheard hearsay from thirty-forty years ago. 

I don't doubt, the vast majority of local government employees are, in fact on quite low salaries with no final salary pension and certainly not taking great swathes of sick leave on full pay, in year long blocks.

In the same paper's jobs section, there are adverts for positions in local government, offering salaries and benefits that leave you wondering, how anyone could survive on such a low level of net income, for long, not £30K but salaries like £12-14K:ohmy:

• Like 1

I don't like that, this morning at work I decided not to wear gloves(disposable ones, albeit supposedly better quality) so after liming down etc I have had the privilege of granny hands all day & it's minging.  I'm a farmer and I worry about the condition of my girly hands hahaha.  Relating to your comment @GMX we were on the bread line for about 3-4 months & it was a struggle I applied for a job at a brewery when I lost my first job & that was for 13k before tax lol.  It generally amazes me how/why people work for such low income, admittedly a job is a job etc but I'm on for 25k this year and we struggle, however IF I DIDN'T have a car at all, I'd have an extra £600 a month but there is no way I'm relying on anyone other than myself, been shot in the foot way to many times for that.  Maybe the introduction of this living wage outside of London may help things but I'm one for if you do the same job as somebody else eg in my case assistant herdsperson, you should all be paid the same wage EXCEPT say £30k a year yet the differences are on performance related bonuses

I don't like the braindead moron who nearly reversed into my car in Halfords car park  (I was picking up a air freshener).

Despite my tapping the horn then blasting my horn he kept going back.

My husband got out of the car...to which the girlfriend (?) Of the driver uttered 'sorry', I just glared at the driver as he got out (my husband to me to leave it).

Of course it was a vauxhall corsa...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

I don't like that, this morning at work I decided not to wear gloves(disposable ones, albeit supposedly better quality) so after liming down etc I have had the privilege of granny hands all day & it's minging.  I'm a farmer and I worry about the condition of my girly hands hahaha.  Relating to your comment @GMX we were on the bread line for about 3-4 months & it was a struggle I applied for a job at a brewery when I lost my first job & that was for 13k before tax lol.  It generally amazes me how/why people work for such low income, admittedly a job is a job etc but I'm on for 25k this year and we struggle, however IF I DIDN'T have a car at all, I'd have an extra £600 a month but there is no way I'm relying on anyone other than myself, been shot in the foot way to many times for that.  Maybe the introduction of this living wage outside of London may help things but I'm one for if you do the same job as somebody else eg in my case assistant herdsperson, you should all be paid the same wage EXCEPT say £30k a year yet the differences are on performance related bonuses

Yep, that's my yearly pre-tax income!  I didn't choose it, trust me - I'd be in a better paid job if I could get one.  No one chooses that level of income.

Quite frankly, I'd love to "struggle" on a £25k job.  Not having a go at you Matt, just irritated with my life in general!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Yep, that's my yearly pre-tax income!  I didn't choose it, trust me - I'd be in a better paid job if I could get one.  No one chooses that level of income.

Quite frankly, I'd love to "struggle" on a £25k job.  Not having a go at you Matt, just irritated with my life in general!

Earning £13k a year would do me fine...  I hate being out of work, just feel so useless, guilty and pathetic permanently.  Way I see it, we're all here to work and/or procreate, I certainly won't be doing the second, and without being able to do the first, there just doesn't seem any point.  Plus, contrary to popular belief, illness benefits aren't much, unless I'm doing it wrong lol.

What annoys me though, is that there doesn't seem to be any advice on work around problems, I've just been told to 'get better' before working, reality is though, short of blocking up my rear end, there are some things that aren't going to get better in the near future.  And of the mental issues that theoretically could improve, the 'help' there hasn't been helpful either. 

What I have noticed though, is people are rarely happy with what they get/do...I know a few people that do very well paid jobs, or 'nice' jobs but they still aren't content with them.  Humans are weird lol...

• Like 1

@jmurray01 we only struggle because of the car costs me about £600 a month & mortgage is £450 then usual bills but pre tax is(depending on 4/5 week month) is £2200/£2500 but I'm paying 2 lots of tax(some from when I was self employed & obviously normal tax now I'm on the books) all of this on just my income, not forgetting 2 kids.  Tbf if I got rid of the car we'd be ok.  And it's something I've been thinking about.  @TomsFocus I'll agree that there is definitely a lack of help with mental issues, sitting yourself down and admitting you have a problem helps, I've tried killing myself a few times & I've rang the doctors & it's helped just ringing them & telling them I'm depressed.  But alas it still comes back.  I'm happy with my career path(farming) I'm over the moon I have 2 beautiful kids & a soon to be wife but I just struggle with all the pressure & it does get a bit to much as I don't want the kids to make my mistakes + I want them to go to private school(better education) and I want my own business.  Blah blah blah

• Like 1

I don't like that it didn't dawn on me, that if I removed the serpentine belt and the failed alternator, and not get round to fitting it's replacement, nor unseizing the Astra, last week. That I'd be unable to get the wheelie bins out tonight and tomorrow, for their respective collections:sad:

Whilst I have enough bin space to accommodate at least two cycles of missed bin collections: it's always nice to to start the cycle with empty bins.  I can manhandle the 140L general bin above head height to get past the Astra, the tight Focus to wall gap is too narrow to go any further.  It's not the case with half-filled 240L recycling, it's too wide to elevate with a bear hug to above head height to get it past the Astra.  Don't particularly want to bring both bins through the lounge, hall and out the front door:mellow:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Earning £13k a year would do me fine...  I hate being out of work, just feel so useless, guilty and pathetic permanently.  Way I see it, we're all here to work and/or procreate, I certainly won't be doing the second, and without being able to do the first, there just doesn't seem any point.  Plus, contrary to popular belief, illness benefits aren't much, unless I'm doing it wrong lol.

What annoys me though, is that there doesn't seem to be any advice on work around problems, I've just been told to 'get better' before working, reality is though, short of blocking up my rear end, there are some things that aren't going to get better in the near future.  And of the mental issues that theoretically could improve, the 'help' there hasn't been helpful either. 

What I have noticed though, is people are rarely happy with what they get/do...I know a few people that do very well paid jobs, or 'nice' jobs but they still aren't content with them.  Humans are weird lol...

I have heard it said, that if as a species we were content with our lot: no progress would ever have been made, at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

@jmurray01 we only struggle because of the car costs me about £600 a month & mortgage is £450 then usual bills but pre tax is(depending on 4/5 week month) is £2200/£2500 but I'm paying 2 lots of tax(some from when I was self employed & obviously normal tax now I'm on the books) all of this on just my income, not forgetting 2 kids.  Tbf if I got rid of the car we'd be ok.  And it's something I've been thinking about.  @TomsFocus I'll agree that there is definitely a lack of help with mental issues, sitting yourself down and admitting you have a problem helps, I've tried killing myself a few times & I've rang the doctors & it's helped just ringing them & telling them I'm depressed.  But alas it still comes back.  I'm happy with my career path(farming) I'm over the moon I have 2 beautiful kids & a soon to be wife but I just struggle with all the pressure & it does get a bit to much as I don't want the kids to make my mistakes + I want them to go to private school(better education) and I want my own business.  Blah blah blah

That makes sense!  Our rent (council house) is only £200 per month and both cars are bought outright, so my £13k salary is just sufficient.  JUST! 

• Like 1

I don't like the volume of rain Imogen has just deposited on Brandy and I, during the evening stroll:sad:  I got soaked to underwear level through three layers of clothing (which included an alleged waterproof coat) and Brandy looks likes she's been dunked:ohmy:

• Like 2

I don't like that I can't sleep at this ungodly hour...

I was awake then too! Then up at 7:30 this morning.. Zzzz

Similar,  I was up at just before 8 for the school run (thankfully very local )

Sooo tired I might take the chance of a midday nap - work nights usually - this week so far I've been off and it's messed my body clock right up!

I don't like a very interrupted sleep (caused by heartburn not even Setlers would cure) and then waking up to the thought of 8 hours at hell.  Yay, I love Mondays!

8 hours ago, laumk7 said:

I don't like that I can't sleep at this ungodly hour...

Not just me then!

14 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

That makes sense!  Our rent (council house) is only £200 per month and both cars are bought outright, so my £13k salary is just sufficient.  JUST! 

£200 PCM rent!?  Now I understand why people live in Scotland... :tongue:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

£200 PCM rent!?  Now I understand why people live in Scotland... :tongue:

The monthly Council tax on our last property in West Sussex was more than that . . . . :mellow:

• Like 2

I don't like finding pieces of of shed roof scattered about the lawn:sad:  Not to mention the contents of other's wheelie bins in the drive, amongst the shrubbery and somebody's underwear and flannel have appeared in my birch tree.:ohmy:  

Imogen has increased her gust strength since she got going last night.  Although she's blowing so hard, the rain clouds are zipping by before they have had time to offload their contents: which is something, I suppose.

17 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

That's fantastically low compared to Dorset rental prices.  My monthly council tax is more than that! You'd get a lock-up for about 10 days down here for £200, most lock-ups are £600-£800pcm.  Judging by the local rental agents, a 2-bed houses starts around £1200pcm for anything that's habitable.

4 hours ago, Ianb said:

I was awake then too! Then up at 7:30 this morning.. Zzzz

I usually sleep for that sort of period too 5½-6 hours per night. 

4 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like a very interrupted sleep (caused by heartburn not even Setlers would cure) and then waking up to the thought of 8 hours at hell.  Yay, I love Mondays!

I believe that's called Smonday.

Smonday is the moment you get when Sunday stops feeling like a Sunday and the anxiety of Monday kicks in:ohmy:

• Like 1

I really don't like ignorant drivers...  (Mute it if you're offended by F words)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szhpr0PLV9A&feature=youtu.be

It's not hard...indicate where you intend to go, give way to the right on roundabouts.  Shame the camera angle isn't quite wide enough, first car, no indication but turned off so I could've gone, second black car was indicating left so I start to move but they carry on (forcing me to stop) they then indicate right...still indicating right when leaving the roundabout as well.  Don't think the black Focus needs any description!

I really don't like ignorant drivers...  (Mute it if you're offended by F words)

It's not hard...indicate where you intend to go, give way to the right on roundabouts.  Shame the camera angle isn't quite wide enough, first car, no indication but turned off so I could've gone, second black car was indicating left so I start to move but they carry on (forcing me to stop) they then indicate right...still indicating right when leaving the roundabout as well.  Don't think the black Focus needs any description!

I believe that some drivers need their airbags removing and being replaced with a boxing glove on a spring, everytime they do someone stupid it should burst out!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ianb said:

I believe that some drivers need their airbags removing and being replaced with a boxing glove on a spring, everytime they do someone stupid it should burst out!

The former Dutch minister for transport said something similar to that, after commenting on his government's new policy. 

They had found that as cars became increasingly safer: the stupidity of drivers increased to match it.  The then Dutch DOT response was to make junctions less safe: which they found made drivers less stupid. 

He then said he'd personally like to see airbags removed from the steering wheel and replaced with spring-loaded 200mm stainless steel spike on a hair trigger

• Like 2

It's not really a "I don't like" it's more an "I don't get it" kind of post...

Valentines day....

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand it, I just don't see why people would spend 364 days doing whatever then that ONE day being a hopeless (normally) romantic surrounded by the rest of the male population all trying to act like they're the only ones that are treating 'their girl' on that day.....

I have thought about what to do this year as it'll be our first as a married couple and really it seems a bit odd when you delve deeply:

Hotel stay? Yeh ok, in a building full of other couples getting it on.. Just a bit sort of, odd..

Restaurant? Again, special treatment on this romantic night by the staff...who are specially treating everyone else as well...

Small pressie, flowers and a picnic on the moors (in the car if weather is bad)!

I'm just glad wifey is a similar mind set..