Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like the Mercedes' O/S dipped beam bulb dying at the petrol station after fillling up, and then suddenly coming on again just before I got home...  Must be a loose connection, but at least it is working again (for now!) and I don't need to stand in -1*C tomorrow morning changing the bulb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like the Mercedes' O/S dipped beam bulb dying at the petrol station after fillling up, and then suddenly coming on again just before I got home...  Must be a loose connection, but at least it is working again (for now!) and I don't need to stand in -1*C tomorrow morning changing the bulb.

Shouldn't have bragged on my post that all your bulbs were OK! :tongue:

• Like 1

I think I've said this before but I really don't like these new-fangled 'cornering lamps' that manufacturers seem so keen on! At certain angles, roundabouts etc, they can make indicators difficult to see! 

However I do like the opposite version whereby the cars daylight running lights automatically dim when the indicators are on, thereby making indicators easier to see. 

2 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Shouldn't have bragged on my post that all your bulbs were OK! :tongue:

Ha!  You're right.  What's funny is that I actually said out loud to the car (yes, I talk to my cars...) "why can't you fix yourself!?", and literally a few seconds later the headlamp came back on... :ohmy:

Maybe I should call it Christine!! :laugh:

• Like 3

Things I don't like - Insurance Co charging me 30 quid admin fee just to change my bleedin address! :angry:

(Contrary to the fact that the FCA stipulates that such fees must be reasonable and must be reflective of the true cost incurred to the company)

• Like 1

Ignoramuses that take equipment from your bench in work without telling you they've taken it! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Things I don't like - Insurance Co charging me 30 quid admin fee just to change my bleedin address! :angry:

(Contrary to the fact that the FCA stipulates that such fees must be reasonable and must be reflective of the true cost incurred to the company)

Makes me glad we're with Direct Line!  They don't charge anything to change the address or even vehicles!!  Considering myself and my mother have three policies (combined), we'd be facing £90 in fees if we moved and were with another insurer.  Crazy, when I work in a call centre and know how easy it is to change the address on an account!

• Like 2

I don't like having to "connect" the C220 and Focus in order to park in such a way that won't block somebody's driveway or obstruct the flow of the road...  If we were to stay in this house, a driveway would be absolutely necessary, but we'll most likely be moving soon, so I'll have to put up with it until then.  Besides, maybe some of the Ford's reliability will "rub off" on the Mercedes... :laugh:

WP_20161108_22_21_51_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, SeanW said:

N'awwhhh...how cute - they're kissing lol

Yeah...  Wasn't too keen when a Vauxhall Mokka tried to do the same thing the other day!! :shock:

damn, my ford access to etis has now been suspended. i did wonder how long it would last after leaving my previous employment. lol

• Like 1

I don't like not betting on Trump to win the election...  I don't think he was the best for the job, but then I can't believe that out of the entire USA himself and Hillary were the best candidates either!?  But I have had a strong feeling that he'd win it for months now, odds were good a few months ago as well, could've won back some of the money I lost between the GTi6 and ST150 this year lol. :sad: 

only thing is now we have to get the tin hats and rifles and get ready for ww3 now, haha, trump is now the proud owner of the nuke codes 

• Like 2

I don't like that the Focus' tyres seem to be getting worse!  Now both front tyres are spinning easily on take-off on wet ground, and lock up with only moderate braking force.  I wouldn't be surprised it they were worn down to 2mm treads, but they have over 50% life left!  They came with the car, and when I get around to replacing them I certainly won't be buying more Nokians!!

I don't like the Mercedes' headlamp dying again...  Not sure if the bulb is just faulty or there is a more serious wiring issue.  Flipping hell!!

I don't like paying £1.17 a litre for petrol, for the Mk1 Focus yesterday:sad: It seems to have increased by 8p a litre since i last filled up. No doubt , when the Mk2 needs some diesel that'll have risen from it's current £1.18 a litre:sad:

I also don't like having reached the point on Tuesday, when it was time to strip off the old roofing, replace the timbers and re-roof my outbuilding come shed. The 3 weather forecasts, I checked before commencing  turned out to be wrong.  The solitary passing shower between 4-5pm, was actually torrential heavy rain that fell continuously until midnight. had a small window of blustery squalls and then started up again. :sad: The rain was then followed by near gales through all of yesterday: quite unsuitable roofing weather:ohmy:

I did manage to get 2 sheets siliconed and screwed into place, and a further one partially (around the edges) but the torrential rain got too much.:sad:  I also had the most of the contents on the lawn whilst I did the roof, some which couldn't be left there in the rain:ohmy:  I ended up having to temporarily putting all the sheets up, for cover and then weighing them down with numerous timbers. Whilst wondering how much wood weight would resist the forecasted 50mph gusts :unsure:and then scrambling about in the dark trying to get the contents back in:sad:  

Just as I was putting the lawn spreader back under cover, I could hear drip drip drip drip coming from the un-siliconed edge of the partially fitted sheet, :ohmy: falling directly on to the mower and scarifier.:sad:  Trying to insert silicone from underneath didn't really work, as by capillary action, too much rain was finding it's way in.  I ended up having to clamp a plank to the underside of the beams, on which i placed a series of plastic troughs, who in turn were clamped to the plank, to catch the drips.:unsure: 

Whilst that saved the mower and scarifier from water damage:smile:, my troughs were filling up a little too quickly:ohmy:  and required emptying every 3-4 hours:ohmy: until the 5.8mm per hour rain slowed down! They have subsequently required emptying every 6-7 hours.

Yesterday was mainly dry but far too windy to roof, or at least far too windy to roof with corrugated polycarbonate sheets.  Today's forecasts are mixed showers with sunshine, which in theory it might be possible to finish my re-roofing this afternoon: or might not:unsure:

Just to add to my roofing woes, I hadn't ordered enough silicone.  The 3 cartridges I initially bought were not adequate: as it was taking roughly 1 per sheet.  The weather enforced break did however enable me, to acquire a further 12, which should be enough for the rest of the roof and to seal the window and door frames

Blimey, what are you re-roofing? Crystal Palace? 😃

Sent from my SM-G930F

I don't like my electric company putting up my tarrif by just over 1p per unit over night, doesn't sound like much but it'll be about £60 extra over a year! :sad:

Turns they've been charging me on the wrong tarrif for my meter...for the 18 months I've been here lol!  At least they're not backdating the higher rate though.  I can't change provider either in my rental agreement.

It was too windy this afternoon again to complete the re-roofing: it would've been an ideal afternoon to dry several king size duvets, had I the presence of mind to wash them:mellow:

Tomorrow afternoon's forecast looks promising but then again, so was Tuesday's 24 hours before it unfolded.

3 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Blimey, what are you re-roofing? Crystal Palace? 😃

Sent from my SM-G930F

it's not so much the size of the building but it's awkward shape ( slightly trapezoid rather than truly square) it's shared gutter with the garage

• Like 1

I don't like discovering that an eBay seller I thought was based in Milton Keynes (well the item location says that) has turned out to be,  a business registered in Tel Aviv with their international operational centre in Kentucky. :sad: I'm not really in a hurry for it, but was quite surprised to see the ETD to be 21 days away; which seemed a bit excessive for Milton Keynes. And then on the UPS tracker, it said my parcel is awaiting processing at the International Clearing in Kentucky!

Most of the "we'll state we're in the UK on the listing with a random UK city" eBay seller's are usually in China.  It's the first time I've encountered an Israeli company pretending to be here:mellow:

I don't like wondering why the Focus wouldn't go into reverse this afternoon, then realising I was pressing the brake but neglecting to disengage the clutch!!  I always thought those people who couldn't adapt between an automatic and manual were poor drivers, but it turns out I'm one of them... :ohmy:

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

I always thought those people who couldn't adapt between an automatic and manual were poor drivers

It is quite difficult!wacko.png

I can only recall driving an automatic once. It was in the USA, in the late 1970s!

It took a little while, but I fairly soon learnt that I had to keep my left foot curled under the seat. Otherwise the normal reaction in hard braking is to push down the clutch. But in that automatic, with its wide brake pedal, you hit the brake & skidded wildly (no ABS). In an emergency situation, that could have been fatalohmy.png.

After working that one out, I was glad it was auto. I tried a manual LHD later in that trip, and using the gearstick with the wrong arm was even more awkward. :confused1:

I was rather young then, I expect I would have adapted quickly, but when driving on public roads, you don't always have the time to adapt!

I always thought those people who couldn't adapt between an automatic and manual were poor drivers

It is quite difficult!wacko.png

I can only recall driving an automatic once. It was in the USA, in the late 1970s!

It took a little while, but I fairly soon learnt that I had to keep my left foot curled under the seat. Otherwise the normal reaction in hard braking is to push down the clutch. But in that automatic, with its wide brake pedal, you hit the brake & skidded wildly (no ABS). In an emergency situation, that could have been fatalohmy.png.

After working that one out, I was glad it was auto. I tried a manual LHD later in that trip, and using the gearstick with the wrong arm was even more awkward. :confused1:

I was rather young then, I expect I would have adapted quickly, but when driving on public roads, you don't always have the time to adapt!

I had that in America too.

Hooking your left foot behind the right heel until you get out of the habit of pressing a phantom clutch works well.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

I don't like that the central heating controller/programmer decided to stop allowing inputs tonight.:sad: and appeared to have developed a mind of it's own:sad:  Which it continued to do so, until a moment ago, when I tried a factory reset on it. 

I'd put the water heater side of it on, as the hot water wasn't so much as hot, but somewhere between lukewarm and cold,  I took a shower and went to turn it off.  Only, it wouldn't respond, no matter how many times I pressed the "on/off" button.  It had also bizarrely deleted it's own programs and although it was displaying "manual" operation; it wouldn't respond to any input I tried. In the interim period, whilst I was Googling, it had also decided to put the heat on, as well:ohmy: and it seemed to be over-riding my 10°C thermostat setting too.

After quite a bit of Googling (right down to page 22 of my search), it was pointing to either a failed valve on the system that was sending it into an eternal miscommunication loop between valve and controller, or the back-up battery in the controller had reached the end of it's life. 

Not wishing to have it it running all night, whilst it was doing it's own thing. I could either turn off the boiler and it's MCB or try a factory reset first.

It's been half an hour since I reset it, and so far, it hasn't sprung into life with an unwanted action. :mellow: 

I also don't like I've ordered the wrong size bumper for my Ctek battery charger, having made the mistake of thinking Bumper 10 was meant for MXS10.  I should've ordered Bumper 120. I'm not entirely sure whether I can send it back:unsure:  All the usual Sale of goods reasons apply only to faulty or not as described, not because you ordered the wrong model:mellow:

I don't like going out to do a simple (or so I thought) headlamp bulb replacement on the C220, to find that the defective bulb was not simply blown but had in fact overheated and melted into the connector... 

So much so that when I pulled it out, the prong (not sure of the correct term?) detached from the bulb and remained stuck in the connector.  It took 10 minutes with a pair of plyers to get it out without breaking the connector itself (thank God!). 

There does appear to be a loose connection now though, as after fitting the new bulb it loses connection if you move the wires, which makes me wonder if there is an underlying fault that caused the old bulb to overheat...  Who knows, I guess time will tell!

WP_20161113_13_27_52_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club