Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Got a parking charge notice in the post this morning...apparently, I stayed at Rivington services for over 17hrs!!

What appears to happened is they've got 2 visits combined...which would be understandable if they weren't on opposite sides of the sodding motorway!!

Ruddy hell that's pure stupidly on that parking company and tuff luck to you. I know you're not the 1st to cop for that. They've been doing it for years and I thought they got done some time ago for just that.

I don't like going out to start the 405 after it sitting a few weeks, to have absolutely no luck whatsoever!  I shouldn't be surprised though, as with burnt out glow plugs and in -4*C temperatures it never really stood a chance, but I was hoping that maybe there would be just enough heat to get it going.  Alas, there was not! 

So, I'll need to buy new glow plugs as soon as I get paid and then get them replaced before it is going anywhere.  Fortunately the C220 has been performing flawlessly, although I do feel slightly nervous only having one working vehicle (besides the Focus, which is out of fuel).

I don't like going out to start the 405 after it sitting a few weeks, to have absolutely no luck whatsoever!  I shouldn't be surprised though, as with burnt out glow plugs and in -4*C temperatures it never really stood a chance, but I was hoping that maybe there would be just enough heat to get it going.  Alas, there was not! 

So, I'll need to buy new glow plugs as soon as I get paid and then get them replaced before it is going anywhere.  Fortunately the C220 has been performing flawlessly, although I do feel slightly nervous only having one working vehicle (besides the Focus, which is out of fuel).

I know you love your old cars and all but will not be better and money savings to sell the merc and 405 and just get something more modern and reliable

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

I know you love your old cars and all but will not be better and money savings to sell the merc and 405 and just get something more modern and reliable

That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, don't you think?  All the 405 needs is a set of glow plugs for £20 and it will be good as new.  This is the first engine related problem I've had with it since I bought it 9 months ago, and since then it has covered over 10,000 miles.

You'd never catch me in anything newer than the Focus (2000), just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.

54 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, don't you think?  All the 405 needs is a set of glow plugs for £20 and it will be good as new.  This is the first engine related problem I've had with it since I bought it 9 months ago, and since then it has covered over 10,000 miles.

You'd never catch me in anything newer than the Focus (2000), just ain't going to happen I'm afraid.

Why not, just out of interest? Plenty of extremely reliable, post-2000 cars out there (which would give most 80's/90's cars a run for their money)! :smile:

6 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Why not, just out of interest? Plenty of extremely reliable, post-2000 cars out there (which would give most 80's/90's cars a run for their money)! :smile:

Same reason most people here wouldn't drive a Vauxhall.  Just not my taste.

Each to their own I guess. But a well serviced merc even yours are very good and you should not have cause for concern. Personally I will sell the 405.

2 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Same reason most people here wouldn't drive a Vauxhall.  Just not my taste.

Fair enough :)

• Like 1

Just now, Ken.K said:

Each to their own I guess. But a well serviced merc even yours are very good and you should not have cause for concern. Personally I will sell the 405.

Because it needs new glow plugs?  No offence, but I don't like being told how to live my life. 

Because it needs new glow plugs?  No offence, but I don't like being told how to live my life. 

Sorry not telling to offence meant. And I will definitely not tell you to live your life mate. Just making a convo apologies

1 minute ago, Incontro said:

Fair enough :)

Besides, a post-2000 car loses value every year as it gets older and less desirable/attractive.  With a pre-2000 car it GAINS value every year (providing you keep it in good condition), as it becomes more desireable as a classic, and less of an "old banger".

6 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Besides, a post-2000 car loses value every year as it gets older and less desirable/attractive.  With a pre-2000 car it GAINS value every year (providing you keep it in good condition), as it becomes more desireable as a classic, and less of an "old banger".

Cars aren't an investment :) Regarding appreciation, a handful of exceptions here and there might, but the vast majority of pre-2000 cars simply won't gain any value - a Mk4 Fiesta isn't going to become a classic any time soon. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Cars aren't an investment :) Regarding appreciation, a handful of exceptions here and there might, but the vast majority of pre-2000 cars simply won't gain any value - a Mk4 Fiesta isn't going to become a classic any time soon. :wink:

True, but it is still depressing knowing that your car is getting more of an old banger every day.  Once they reach a certain age their value gets as low as it can, and at that point it either stays the same, or slowly increases. 

For example, the 405 and C220 have reached their lowest value (as low as £300 in the used market), so even if the value doesn't increase, I know that it can't get any worse!  Unlike a 2010 vehicle which could be worth £5,000 today, and drop to less than £3,000 in a couple of years.  That would be very depressing for me.

Plus they are unique.  Nobody looks twice at a modern car, unless it is rare or modified, but an old car in good condition will get comments from people who see it. 

• Like 1

I don't like what Angus has done, to my recently re-roofed outbuilding:sad:  Or rather, the pineapple sized pine cones, who were stripped off their parent Monterey pines as they rocked to and fro with each gust. :mellow: Who were then hurled at my roof with some force; I have cracks:sad: a pineapple sized hole:ohmy:. and consequently a sodden floor.:sad:

Connected to that, it is evident that the sheets which I bought as polycarbonate are not:-  gale driven big pine cones would bounce on impact, not crack and go through:angry:.  Somebody has clearly put PVC sheets in the wrong section at B&Q. :sad:

Due to the next storm swinging by in a couple of hours, taking up residence over most of the UK tomorrow, and in to early Wednesday, with far more rain than Angus dropped but not as gusty:mellow:  Instead of spending the afternoon putting 15mm holes, 100mm apart and 100mm deep, all over my lawns, taking advantage of the soft moist sward.  Lawn aeration is so much easier when you've had a day of deluges.

I've had to construct a Heath Robinson affair using quite a bit of spare guttering,  2 bottle of Solvent Weld, an obscene amount of silicone, a Volvo 440 windscreen (with a superficial scratch on it) and an 80 litre dustbin. Every crack now has a gutter beneath it, angled at 10° to feed in to lower guttering that eventually feeds into the 80 litre bin.  The windscreen is balanced in the dustbin, as a sort of splash prevention when there's a lot of rain coming down.  The forecast has several spates of  15-20mm per rain, I'm not sure how often I'm going to have to bail out my dustbin.  I've had my butts fill completely in a couple of hours in such rain and they're three times the volume:mellow:

I also don't slashing open a finger on the edge of some guttering, which was a bit of a surprise: I've never thought of guttering edge as a sharp before

• Like 1

I don't like standing in the kitchen making a sandwich and then one of the cupboard doors opening and banging shut behind me...  There was nobody else in the kitchen, and all the doors were firmly shut :unsure:

I do not like having to not eat more of a delicious pasta bake that my Mrs made. Had 2portions but now I cannot have anymore cos it is also for lunch tomorrow. 😠😠😠😬

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like standing in the kitchen making a sandwich and then one of the cupboard doors opening and banging shut behind me...  There was nobody else in the kitchen, and all the doors were firmly shut :unsure:

Buttons exploring the cupboard, and then leaving it?

Tigger the 2nd was great cupboard explorer, often found him trying to work his way behind stacks of bowls and crockery having entered from an adjoining cupboard.

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

True, but it is still depressing knowing that your car is getting more of an old banger every day.  Once they reach a certain age their value gets as low as it can, and at that point it either stays the same, or slowly increases. 

For example, the 405 and C220 have reached their lowest value (as low as £300 in the used market), so even if the value doesn't increase, I know that it can't get any worse!  Unlike a 2010 vehicle which could be worth £5,000 today, and drop to less than £3,000 in a couple of years.  That would be very depressing for me.

Plus they are unique.  Nobody looks twice at a modern car, unless it is rare or modified, but an old car in good condition will get comments from people who see it. 

Indeed, but what can you do. This is why I'll never buy a brand new car - what could be more depressing than instantly losing up to 20% of it's value the moment you drive away in it?

About looks - looks are highly subjective, and are not based on age for me. I would never dream of setting foot inside a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper for example (then again they are crap in terms of more than just looks!! lol), but a person who likes them might think the Focus ST is an ugly car. :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GMX said:

Buttons exploring the cupboard, and then leaving it?

Tigger the 2nd was great cupboard explorer, often found him trying to work his way behind stacks of bowls and crockery having entered from an adjoining cupboard.

Unfortunately not, as she was in the living room with Mother at the time.  I know exactly what it was, as I've witnessed "paranormal activities" throughout my life, but that was one of the most extreme.

Pretty sure I have one in my house too.

I have interior and exterior cameras and often see swirling dust like a mini vortex in the spare room.

It's also the one room the dogs don't seem to like laying around in even though it catches the sun and is a nice basking place.

If I'm in there they sit at the door and watch but any other room they stick to me like glue.

Remember- it's not the dead that you should be afraid if, it's the living.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Pretty sure I have one in my house too.

I have interior and exterior cameras and often see swirling dust like a mini vortex in the spare room.

It's also the one room the dogs don't seem to like laying around in even though it catches the sun and is a nice basking place.

If I'm in there they sit at the door and watch but any other room they stick to me like glue.

Remember- it's not the dead that you should be afraid if, it's the living.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Very true...

3 hours ago, GMX said:

hurled at my roof with some force; I have cracks:sad: a pineapple sized hole:ohmy:. and consequently a sodden floor

Not a great dayhuh.png

After all the work, to see it smashed overnight, it must be dispiriting, to say the least.

A more trivial rain incident I had a few years ago, was when I grabbed a little weather window to slap some masonry paint on the back wall. Looked lovelysmile.png. But the weather window was a bit littler than planned. Light rain started, I hoped the paint had dried enough. But in the morning, the water butt off the conservatory roof on that wall, was whiteohmy.png, and the wall was grey.sad.png.

More recently, I put up a tower scaffold to secondary glaze the last main window over a porch. Got, prepared & lugged up a great pane of glass on to the tower, installed it, then as I just finished tightening (over-tightening :withstupid:?) the last fixing screw, crack!. A split appeared half way through the glass angry.png. If it had stopped there, it would hardly be visible, but it is slowly growing, mm by mm, out over the window. Ah well, just have to put up with a cracked pane (I think it will be stable), until I can borrow the tower again, and replace it, in warmer weather. I can't do fiddly jobs outside now.

Oh, and talking about Heath Robinson (one of my few Heros, love those cartoonsbiggrin.png) I have been trying to track down an annoying speed related (55mph +) little droning noise on my Focus using microphones, a simple amp, and earphones. Lots of crackles, road noise, and engine noise, but no amplified droning yet. I have three suspects left, gearbox, OSR wheel bearing & tyres. Then start again I suppose. Keep going round until I find something, or a wheel falls off or whatever!.

39 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Dogs are perceptive like that.

One of my mates (and his girlfriend) took their dog with them when they were looking at houses to buy, much to the amusement of the estate agent.  Several houses got rejected, not because they didn't like them, were too pricey, too much to change but because Max the dog refused to enter specific rooms and would wait for them at the door.

23 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

A more trivial rain incident I had a few years ago, was when I grabbed a little weather window to slap some masonry paint on the back wall. Looked lovelysmile.png. But the weather window was a bit littler than planned. Light rain started, I hoped the paint had dried enough. But in the morning, the water butt off the conservatory roof on that wall, was whiteohmy.png, and the wall was grey.sad.png.

That reminds me of my Barcoat oversight on the Astra. Although my omission to read the data sheet was probably more so to blame, then failing to check weather forecast and blissfully commencing respraying the bonnet, oblivious to the forthcoming rain.

When I got it, it had intercoat adhesion failure all over the bonnet. A paint tech advised me to strip it back to primer, spray it with Barcoat and then proceed as normal.

Having sprayed the Barcoat on, whilst I was waiting for it to flash off, I noticed a darkening on the western sky.  It was then I checked the weather forecast, only to find rain was due in a couple of hours:ohmy:

Had I read the data sheet, i would've also known Barcoat needs 24 hours to fully dry before proceeding with further coats. :mellow:

Only I hadn't,:huh: So I sprayed it with filler primer, looked at the ever darkening sky, then sprayed on stoneguard hurriedly, looked at the sky, then colour coat, more sky watching and finally the clearcoat.  Hoping all the while, it would be dry enough, to tolerate the forthcoming rain. Reconciling myself, that as undercoats are hygroscopic, it would be better to have the final coats on before rain came; even if I had to re-spray the clearcoat after the rain.

The following morning, it looked like a family of hedgehogs had rolled up and down the bonnet:ohmy:  Legions upon legions of tiny holes:ohmy:; solvent pop holes coming up through all the paint coats from the Barcoat:sad: 

It  looked worse than it did with the intercoat adhesion failure, that was patchy: this was all over!:ohmy:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club