Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like being awake at this time to a crying dog. I went to investigate and was presented with said canine covered in the excrement of Satan. I didn't plan to be fully bathing a dog at 4am.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

True, but it is still depressing knowing that your car is getting more of an old banger every day.  Once they reach a certain age their value gets as low as it can, and at that point it either stays the same, or slowly increases. 

For example, the 405 and C220 have reached their lowest value (as low as £300 in the used market), so even if the value doesn't increase, I know that it can't get any worse!  Unlike a 2010 vehicle which could be worth £5,000 today, and drop to less than £3,000 in a couple of years.  That would be very depressing for me.

Plus they are unique.  Nobody looks twice at a modern car, unless it is rare or modified, but an old car in good condition will get comments from people who see it. 

Pretty sure the 405 won't gain value...it's not a rare sporty desirable one like a Goodwood...  Look at 205s, the battered low spec diesels are worthless whereas a 1.9GTi is now worth several grand regardless of condition! 

I'm the other way, find it really depressing that to tax the car or fit a new set of tyres costs more than the entire car is worth...not to mention huge expensive lists and welding for MOTs...  Which is why I moved to more modern stuff.  It's been cheaper overall as well!  Only exception is looking like the Focus atm, but I did buy it from a dealer so paid slightly over the odds originally...  Still not convinced it's worth as little as has been suggested but can't say for sure until it goes obviously.

I don't like near identical packaging for very different items. :sad:  Bought a new toothpaste well before the old one ran out...only to find this morning it's not my usual one, but the one flavoured to leave a burning sensation in your mouth for an hour afterwards...  I didn't realise that was a desirable trait of toothpaste but maybe I'm wrong lol. :rolleyes:

I also don't like signal interference, on both the radio (FM & DAB) and the TV, presumably due to the weather... 1st world problems.  :laugh: 

Having decided not get the replacements from B&Q again: I don't want to end up with more pineapple sized holes in the next storm, also I've discovered B&Q's sheets are narrower than everyone else's 660mm instead 768mm.:mellow:

I don't like that I'm going to have to buy way more, than I actually need of polycarbonate sheets, to re-roof my outbuilding for the second time.:sad:  All the online stores have minimum order quantities. I suppose I could use the spares for cloches or make Brandy a shelter.  The carriage is quite steep too, ranging from £15-£25 per sheet, but then again, they aren't the easiest of things to send by courier.

Axminster Tools have joined amazon in the club, of sending small things, surrounded by peanuts and airbags, in disproportionately large boxes.  Today I received two 'stubby' drill bits in a box that could have easily housed an 8-slice toaster!

16 hours ago, kpg said:

I don't like being awake at this time to a crying dog. I went to investigate and was presented with said canine covered in the excrement of Satan. I didn't plan to be fully bathing a dog at 4am.

Part of rich and varied  pageant of a companion dog. 

Is he/she alright now?    

At least he/she have the "accident" in, or on your bed, or least the way you've worded your post suggests, it wasn't the case

Once I was awoken by a very distraught Brandy at 3am, the whole room had an aroma of dog pee.:ohmy:  Upon pulling back my duvet, I was surround with multiple pools that had seeped through the duvet and into the mattress:ohmy: and she couldn't stop leaking, all the way to kitchen and outside.  Some 6 hours later the vet said she'd got an urinary tract infection, and gave her something that stopped the leaking immediately

On another occasion, following the finding and eating of decaying pigeon in the park.  I was not so much awoken by Brandy retching all over my duvet:ohmy: and pillow:sick: with foul smelling liquid: but by the noxious stench of the accompanying dog diarrhoea.:sick:  Which Brandy had considerately left in pools on the carpet in the hall: rather than on my bedding.  However, she had spread it about as she walked back to the bedroom. and on to the duvet:sad:

I don't like the level of incompetence and idiocy, that is usual for Yodel, has been matched and surpassed by My Hermes.  They seem to be having some difficulty in transporting my Terry's Chocolate orange sized box from their depot in Southampton to a van, to deliver to the local My Hermes agent.  It's gone back and forth to the depot three times now, judging by the tracker:sad:

I also don't finding a bag of Molly's poo in the fridge, in the cheese and butter compartment, no less:sad:  It had been on the doorstep, awaiting my next trip to the wheelie bin; but my Mum thought it was a bag of "one of my foreign cheeses" that had fallen out of the shopping bag. So, she put it in the fridge with the other cheeses:ohmy: 

I can't think of any cheese, foreign or otherwise that resembles cat poo with a few bits of litter stuck to it:unsure:

• Like 1

I dont like trying to break the body clock cycle of working nights.

I've been working the past six nights now finished since this morning, 

So at 8am thismorning I thought id have a short nap but forgot to set my alarm and have just woken up😣it's now 17:00 my day is gone and I've to try sleep tonight 😧

47 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like the level of incompetence and idiocy, that is usual for Yodel, has been matched and surpassed by My Hermes.  They seem to be having some difficulty in transporting my Terry's Chocolate orange sized box from their depot in Southampton to a van, to deliver to the local My Hermes agent.  It's gone back and forth to the depot three times now, judging by the tracker:sad:

I also don't finding a bag of Molly's poo in the fridge, in the cheese and butter compartment, no less:sad:  It had been on the doorstep, awaiting my next trip to the wheelie bin; but my Mum thought it was a bag of "one of my foreign cheeses" that had fallen out of the shopping bag. So, she put it in the fridge with the other cheeses:ohmy: 

I can't think of any cheese, foreign or otherwise that resembles cat poo with a few bits of litter stuck to it:unsure:

Aw God No😣

lucky she didnt toast you a sandwich 

• Like 2

Little bit foggy out tonight as I drove to Scunthorpe...really rolled on thick as I dropped onto Mortalash Hill...soo...seeing as vis was about 30m - I popped my rear fogs on...which is a very literal turn of phrase...

It went with a real pop & then the dashboard bongs at me to say "Rear Fog Bulb Fault"

...no sh-trange foreign cheese...

20161126_210648.jpg

I don't like not examining closely, the tub of reduced cream I got from Tesco this afternoon, and ascertaining exactly why it came to be reduced; it was not that is was going out date.

Upon arriving home and getting my bags out of the Mk1, it was very apparent why it had been reduced significantly.:ohmy:  Not only was there loose cream at the bottom of my bag but there was a small puddle floating on the boot carpet, where it had seeped through my bag:sad:  The tub bottom has a large crack going right across it:ohmy:

Nothing worse than a large leaky crack across your bottom. 😆

I'll get me coat 😉

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

Toothache. 4 ruddy days I've had it and clove oil isn't doing much. Roll on Thursday when I've an appointment.

1 hour ago, tazzman600 said:

Toothache. 4 ruddy days I've had it and clove oil isn't doing much. Roll on Thursday when I've an appointment.

If you can stand the bitter flavour and haven't already taken some some in the normal fashion: chewing a paracetamol can bring about some relief

I don't like having to leave work two hours into my shift due to stomach cramps, vomiting and...  Well, you get the picture.

We didn't eat any fresh meat last night so I have no idea what has caused it, but it feels like food poisoning or perhaps just a stomach bug.  Either way, I'm now at home with a Cup-A-Soup and a pack of Prochlorperazine.  Good times!! :mellow:

On 11/26/2016 at 11:36 PM, SeanW said:

Little bit foggy out tonight as I drove to Scunthorpe...really rolled on thick as I dropped onto Mortalash Hill...soo...seeing as vis was about 30m - I popped my rear fogs on...which is a very literal turn of phrase...

It went with a real pop & then the dashboard bongs at me to say "Rear Fog Bulb Fault"

From your profile, I can see that you drive a Mk2.5 Focus?

I wasn't aware that our cars had bulb blowout warnings?! If so, that's handy!!

On 26/11/2016 at 11:36 PM, SeanW said:

20161126_210648.jpg

Wrong thread. I know...but I like being able to type 'Scunthorpe' Another forum I was on auto censored it!!!:smile:

• Like 1

On 11/28/2016 at 6:57 PM, SeanW said:

Ooo...I need to update that lol

No...it's a Mondeo now lol

You got me all excited there for a moment -  I guess I'll have to manually keep checking whether bulbs work lol

Should be somthing I do like because it's free but I don't like it because it's for the wrong shop 😕

work give us a €500 shopping voucher each Christmas as a tax free Gift, it used to be for Tesco which was absolutely great because they also sell petrol & diesel fuel aswell as brand name electronics which ment the voucher could be spent more freely on purchasing gifts or temporarily fueling the car as I wouldn't normally fill up there only to use the voucher.

but this year the voucher is for Dunnes Stores, they don't sell electronics or fuel, the food and drink is more expensive than competitors.

12 hours ago, Incontro said:

You got me all excited there for a moment -  I guess I'll have to manually keep checking whether bulbs work lol

My old Vectra had bulb warnings. :sad:  I mean they came up when the bulbs still worked fine but still, it was a useful feature. :laugh: 

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Should be somthing I do like because it's free but I don't like it because it's for the wrong shop 😕

work give us a €500 shopping voucher each Christmas as a tax free Gift, it used to be for Tesco which was absolutely great because they also sell petrol & diesel fuel aswell as brand name electronics which ment the voucher could be spent more freely on purchasing gifts or temporarily fueling the car as I wouldn't normally fill up there only to use the voucher.

but this year the voucher is for Dunnes Stores, they don't sell electronics or fuel, the food and drink is more expensive than competitors.

It's still free, whether it's a bit more expensive or not lol!  Could be worse, they could've given it to you in sterling... :rolleyes::biggrin: 

• Like 2

I don't like that we're being forced out of diesels without having any petrols that are as cheap to run in budget. :sad:  It's alright if you can afford brand new cars I guess (unless people are lying about the real world MPG of new cars lol), but with a ~£4k budget I just can't find anything equivalent to the Focus (size, spec, ride comfort) that has a sub 12s 0-60, averages 45mpg+ without having to drive like a granny and costs £30 to tax, I don't even see that as a particularly difficult spec to achieve in the 2010s!  It's got to the point I'm just looking at newer diesels with coated DPF's, which I would hope is ok for a good month when I do ~1000 miles, but when I'm having a 'bad month' with the agoraphobia and IBS my mileage can drop to just a few hundred, I don't think any DPF would cope with that, though I would make sure it had a DPF light unlike the Focus.  Urgh...  :wacko:

• Like 1

I don't like that we're being forced out of diesels without having any petrols that are as cheap to run in budget. :sad:  It's alright if you can afford brand new cars I guess (unless people are lying about the real world MPG of new cars lol), but with a ~£4k budget I just can't find anything equivalent to the Focus (size, spec, ride comfort) that has a sub 12s 0-60, averages 45mpg+ without having to drive like a granny and costs £30 to tax, I don't even see that as a particularly difficult spec to achieve in the 2010s!  It's got to the point I'm just looking at newer diesels with coated DPF's, which I would hope is ok for a good month when I do ~1000 miles, but when I'm having a 'bad month' with the agoraphobia and IBS my mileage can drop to just a few hundred, I don't think any DPF would cope with that, though I would make sure it had a DPF light unlike the Focus.  Urgh...  wacko.png

Definitely know this feeling mate. Anything beyond 2009and your looking at a 6-7k budget. Unless you go older but then high road tax and ***** mpg. I have resigned my myself to just saving up some more 💰, sell my focus private and then hopefully I can get a 60 plate car next year which meets my criteria. Brand new gtfo. Pay 30k then in 6months it is 20k. But your still in 30k debt. I pass on that. Even if I won the lottery I will get an approved used with less than 30k miles on any brand I fancy rather than new

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like that we're being forced out of diesels without having any petrols that are as cheap to run in budget.

Nor do I!

There is far too much worry about ever finer smoke particles, and ever lower NOx levels, and not nearly enough worry about efficiency and CO2 emissions.

NOx & smoke only really affect hot, crowded cities, and only affect humans. And I am sure the effects are over stated. Look at the pollution just 60 years ago, with thick smogs. We have, rightly, come a very long way since then, but that problem is much more than 80% fixed, and trying to fix that last few percent will always cause more problems than are solved.

CO2 affects the entire planet, and every living thing. Climate change can be, and is, argued about endlessly :tabletalk:. But one absolute certainty is that uncontrolled, ever rising, levels of CO2 will at some stage induce a catastrophic chain of events that will destroy the planet as we know it. And will make it impossible for 6 going on 10 billion humans to inhabit it. Billions would have to die to allow the rest to live. Famine & War would do that, all too well.:rifle::rip:

Catalytic convertors increase CO2 levels: Cars are heavier, less efficient, and shorter lived, and the materials in them consume irreplaceable resources, pollute mining areas, and generate lots of CO2 in extraction, transport and manufacture.

DPFs are, in their current state, even worse. The elements need to be low cost, replaceable units, re-using the canister. They should probably be placed in the hot gas before the turbo, close to the exhaust manifold. The supporting technology & processes need to be robust, straightforward, and clearly & publicly documented for diagnostics & maintenance.

Ford DPF systems are about as near to the opposite of all that, as is possible. :confused1: And I doubt if Ford are the worst, by any means.

Electric cars are Not the answer! Not unless the country they are used in has an ample supply of low CO2 electricity: Iceland, maybe parts of Scandinavia, maybe the Sahara. But not here in the UK, or in most of Europe. Solar & WInd are useless, too unreliable. And batteries, in cars, or in the grid, Ha. Expensive, inefficient, unreliable and polluting. I can not think of one good thing to say about batteries used for high power, rapid cycling, applications. Maybe in 10 years? Or will it be 20? Or will nuclear fusion beat them to it? Who knows.:icon14:

Maybe engines like the 1L Ecoboost are an answer. But they have particulate problems too, especially when used in the more efficient lean burn, direct injection mode. After all, they are actually almost Diesel engines then, the fuel is not the dividing criteria. But if you want to stick with a Focus, but do not want a Ford DPF, then waiting for the 1L Ecoboost models to drop to a nice second hand price could be the best way.

• Like 2

Tbh the 1.0 in the Focus doesn't seem that economical in the real world from the research I've been doing recently, it's not bad 'on a run' but most people's average isn't great.  The 1.2 TSI engines in the VAG cars seems the same.  I get the feeling these engines are just too low powered for the size of vehicle, maybe if the Focus came with the 140ps version it wouldn't be so bad, after all I was disappointed with the lack of mpg from the 1.6TDCi 110, and didn't lose any MPG with the remap giving it an extra 30 horses...  I would go with a 125ps Titanium Mk3 but they're still way out of budget, and tbh I just don't like the front end on the pre facelifts.

I can't really wait much longer either with certain MOT rules changing next year, so keep saving isn't really the way to go.  

I may look into getting something cheaper to tide me over until I can decide...that's looking like the best option atm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh the 1.0 in the Focus doesn't seem that economical in the real world from the research I've been doing recently, it's not bad 'on a run' but most people's average isn't great.

Much of what I know about the 1.0 Focus is from Ian (iantt). He seems to like his, and claims to get very good mileage. But it has been re-mapped (bluefin, as I recall), and I am guessing he keeps all the important bits in tip top condition!

My general feeling is that the economy of diesels is real, is based on the laws of physics, and real life use is not so far below the manufacturer's claims. Speed & load don't have that big an impact.

The economy of conventional petrol engines is mostly myth :sorcerer:, certainly as far as manufacturer's claims go. Driving style, speed & load have a massive impact. It would take a very skilled driver, in a perfect car, to anywhere near replicate the claimed mpg. Still, the false claimed mpgs do help reduce the tax bands a bit, even if not helping much with the filling station bills.:ohmy:

I guess the 1.0L falls somewhere between these. Its compression ratio is not as high as a diesel, but sometimes it can work without a fuel wasting throttle, and combustion speed may be higher when in lean burn. And the turbo means it is a small, low heat loss, engine at low power, and the equivalent of about a 2L engine when power is wanted. 

MPG reports I have read about it vary all over the place. It is hard to know what to make of it. But I do rate Ian's opinion & statements rather higher than I would most others biggrin.png.

I think I will stick with my 1.8 for as long as I can!

I don't like people letting me down, and then saying I'm unreasonable for being angry about it!! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club