Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh the 1.0 in the Focus doesn't seem that economical in the real world from the research I've been doing recently, it's not bad 'on a run' but most people's average isn't great.  The 1.2 TSI engines in the VAG cars seems the same.  I get the feeling these engines are just too low powered for the size of vehicle, maybe if the Focus came with the 140ps version it wouldn't be so bad, after all I was disappointed with the lack of mpg from the 1.6TDCi 110, and didn't lose any MPG with the remap giving it an extra 30 horses...  I would go with a 125ps Titanium Mk3 but they're still way out of budget, and tbh I just don't like the front end on the pre facelifts.

I can't really wait much longer either with certain MOT rules changing next year, so keep saving isn't really the way to go.  

I may look into getting something cheaper to tide me over until I can decide...that's looking like the best option atm.

I've literally just picked up a Fiesta ST line 1.0 Ecoboost (140bhp) and i can honestly say it's one of the nippiest cars I've ever driven and so far economy wise it's been spot on.

If I drive like miss daisy, I can get about 40mpg around town, and motorway journey on Monday I hit 55mpg. (Not for long mind you....)

i struggle to imagine them in a Mondeo or the focus with lower output engines!!! 

This past week I have changed my driving style and am still getting 42mpg mk2.5 3dr focus. Anything close to the high 40s is a win in my books already.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh the 1.0 in the Focus doesn't seem that economical in the real world from the research I've been doing recently, it's not bad 'on a run' but most people's average isn't great.  The 1.2 TSI engines in the VAG cars seems the same.  I get the feeling these engines are just too low powered for the size of vehicle, maybe if the Focus came with the 140ps version it wouldn't be so bad, after all I was disappointed with the lack of mpg from the 1.6TDCi 110, and didn't lose any MPG with the remap giving it an extra 30 horses...  I would go with a 125ps Titanium Mk3 but they're still way out of budget, and tbh I just don't like the front end on the pre facelifts.

I can't really wait much longer either with certain MOT rules changing next year, so keep saving isn't really the way to go.  

I may look into getting something cheaper to tide me over until I can decide...that's looking like the best option atm.

My 1.0 Ecoboost has averaged a bit over 44mpg in the last 1200 miles or so. I'm quite happy with that, especially as quite a bit of that is a 6 mile round trip commute every day! :laugh:

It's a nice little engine, I'd happily lose 10mpg to not have to put up with a clattery diseasel!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

My 1.0 Ecoboost has averaged a bit over 44mpg in the last 1200 miles or so. I'm quite happy with that, especially as quite a bit of that is a 6 mile round trip commute every day! :laugh:

It's a nice little engine, I'd happily lose 10mpg to not have to put up with a clattery diseasel!

Agree 100%!!! At the end of the day the main reason people tend to drive diesels is for the better fuel economy.

However if a turbo petrol engine like the ecoboost can achieve more power, cost less to maintain/service, be more reliable (not having to worry about DPFs, or however many short journeys etc), and be much quieter (yet sound better when you give it the beans!), all whilst achieving around 80-90% of the economy of a diesel, I personally don't see any reason to switch to diesel. :smile:

• Like 1

I've literally just picked up a Fiesta ST line 1.0 Ecoboost (140bhp) and i can honestly say it's one of the nippiest cars I've ever driven and so far economy wise it's been spot on.
If I drive like miss daisy, I can get about 40mpg around town, and motorway journey on Monday I hit 55mpg. (Not for long mind you....)
i struggle to imagine them in a Mondeo or the focus with lower output engines!!! 

Same sort of figures I get out of my 2.0 Mondeo (also 140hp)

Same sort of figures I get out of my 2.0 Mondeo (also 140hp)

What reg? And is it ecoboost

14 hours ago, Incontro said:

Agree 100%!!! At the end of the day the main reason people tend to drive diesels is for the better fuel economy.

However if a turbo petrol engine like the ecoboost can achieve more power, cost less to maintain/service, be more reliable (not having to worry about DPFs, or however many short journeys etc), and be much quieter (yet sound better when you give it the beans!), all whilst achieving around 80-90% of the economy of a diesel, I personally don't see any reason to switch to diesel. :smile:

We don't know they're more reliable yet!  The oldest is what, 4 years now?  Even the DV6's weren't breaking that quickly! :laugh:   Seriously though, at some point the cats, turbos etc will fail...and probably other things when independent garages start chucking in their standard 10w40 oil instead of the proper thin stuff.  Don't they also have clutch problems already as well...and how long will that DMF last. :unsure: 

Also just to add on this. With car finance becoming more popular and people changing every 3-4yrs I think cars are no more made to last the long haul like before.

I agree, they're just made to last the warranty period...  Even the Koreans have shortened their warranties now lol.  Finance isn't cheap though, even the most poverty spec rubbish engined Fiesta would cost more over 2 years than my Focus has, even with all the DPF issues. :unsure: 

On a separate note, I don't like buying xmas gifts...  It's not that I'm a selfish bugger, I don't like receiving gifts either, always feel awkward lol.  But buying for older people is just impossible...can't buy chocolate/biscuits due to diabetes, can't buy bath stuff as they can't get in the bath, can't buy pot plants as they don't have space/can't look after them, can't buy CDs as they don't like modern stuff and have all the old stuff...  :wacko:  I wanted to buy my Nan a very simple written guide to using her iPad as she bought one but can't use it...but they all seem to be PDF lol. :dry: 

I don't like having way too much choice, how can I possibly decide on a thing, when there are just too many similar things, with similar specs and prices:sad:  And then when you've almost decided, you wonder if you spent a little more, say another £80, you could get a much better class of thing.  Only to find, there are as many choices in the better class as there were in the lesser class:unsure:

But buying for older people is just impossible...can't buy chocolate/biscuits due to diabetes, can't buy bath stuff as they can't get in the bath, can't buy pot plants as they don't have space/can't look after them, can't buy CDs as they don't like modern stuff and have all the old stuff...  :wacko: 

Hot water bottles were one of the default presents, for the older person, when the obvious things aren't suitable.  Something smelly (perfume related not a decomposing herring/dead pigeon) was another.

I wanted to buy my Nan a very simple written guide to using her iPad as she bought one but can't use it...but they all seem to be PDF lol. :dry: 

Could you not print off and bind one of the pdfs for your Nan? 

I did think about that but my printer is awful, keeps missing parts or fading out, have to nozzle clean for each time I use it atm. 

On another note, I don't like rounding off a really crap week with possibly being caught speeding through the average cameras after an accident slowed us to a crawl through the 60.  After we 'broke free' I was in a panic not thinking straight and really don't know how fast I past the last 2 cameras. :(

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I did think about that but my printer is awful, keeps missing parts or fading out, have to nozzle clean for each time I use it atm. 

On another note, I don't like rounding off a really crap week with possibly being caught speeding through the average cameras after an accident slowed us to a crawl through the 60.  After we 'broke free' I was in a panic not thinking straight and really don't know how fast I past the last 2 cameras. :(

Not meaning to sound harsh, but you shouldn't have really be driving if you were panicking and not thinking straight...  The worst thing to do after a period of going very slow is to go very fast.  That's when another accident happens! 

I don't like all the "remainers" throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way in the referendum, and practically disregarding the result.  It's pathetic.  Why have a democracy if you won't listen to the majority!?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Not meaning to sound harsh, but you shouldn't have really be driving if you were panicking and not thinking straight...  The worst thing to do after a period of going very slow is to go very fast.  That's when another accident happens! 

It's not harsh, I agree tbh.  When I feel trapped in any situation I just need to get away from it.  That's easy enough walking but doesn't work so well in the car, and it's not even like you can pull over and walk it off on a dual carriageway bridge.  Should I completely give up driving due to the small amount of time I'll get in that situation though?  Would be selfish not be able to help my Nan's etc and avoiding problems is supposed to make them worse.   But then one split second wrong decision could have major consequences.  I honestly don't know, it's something I question in my head a lot tbh. :sad:

It wasn't dangerous in this instance tbf, empty dual carriageway ahead of me as I'd been following a truck that couldn't pick up pace like the cars in front of it so I had a clear run when it moved over. 

Later people say me doing 85mph is dangerous. Why did you feel trapped though. Your in your car and moving not stopped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like all the "remainers" throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't get their way in the referendum, and practically disregarding the result.  It's pathetic.  Why have a democracy if you won't listen to the majority!?

Someone should maybe tell Nicola Sturgeon the same thing! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, Turvey said:

Someone should maybe tell Nicola Sturgeon the same thing! :rolleyes:

Not really.  Of course the SNP will keep campaigning for Scottish independence (rightly so), but after the "no" vote they did accept it and didn't make pathetic arguments that completely disregarded the outcome.  They didn't like it, but they didn't try to overturn it either.

6 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Not really.  Of course the SNP will keep campaigning for Scottish independence (rightly so), but after the "no" vote they did accept it and didn't make pathetic arguments that completely disregarded the outcome.  They didn't like it, but they didn't try to overturn it either.

Yet she's still pushing for Indyref2? :unsure:

Sorry, don't want this to turn political! I don't really do politics in real life. 

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's not harsh, I agree tbh.  When I feel trapped in any situation I just need to get away from it.  That's easy enough walking but doesn't work so well in the car, and it's not even like you can pull over and walk it off on a dual carriageway bridge.  Should I completely give up driving due to the small amount of time I'll get in that situation though?  Would be selfish not be able to help my Nan's etc and avoiding problems is supposed to make them worse.   But then one split second wrong decision could have major consequences.  I honestly don't know, it's something I question in my head a lot tbh. :sad:

It wasn't dangerous in this instance tbf, empty dual carriageway ahead of me as I'd been following a truck that couldn't pick up pace like the cars in front of it so I had a clear run when it moved over. 

I understand you Tom, I've sat in the 50mph roadworks on the M1 enough times and it's actually made me tired, luckily I was taking the next exit otherwise I would of had to stop. In my experience everybody boots it as soon as they see that National sign, but I wait till I pass it because just before there's always a cheeky set of speed cameras. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken.K said:

Later people say me doing 85mph is dangerous. Why did you feel trapped though. Your in your car and moving not stopped.

As I've said before, speed isn't dangerous unless you're coupling that with distractions. 

I hate dual carriage ways anyway as you're always trapped between 2 slip roads, when something happens ahead you can't get away from it, at least if someone crashes on  B road you can turn round and go back.  Seeing a line of brake lights and then moving at 5mph stop start, not knowing if that's going to become stationary for an hour or more pushes that worry into panic, the panic triggers my IBS...basically more than once now I've shat myself due to being stuck stationary in this sort of traffic. :sad:  I avoid peak times and try to avoid duals where possible but obviously it's not always possible without adding a huge chunk of time to the journey.  I did bring this up at one of my CBT sessions and was just told that it doesn't happen often (guess I must be unlucky, I get stuck in crawling or stationary traffic at least once a fortnight and am only doing 100 miles a week for necessary journeys now) and to just accept it might happen...well that's really useful. :dry: 

A bike night just work then as you can filter through traffic to the front row and at least you keep moving till the next exit or past the incident. Personally I think growing up in Africa gas helped me deal with traffic here as no matter how bad it is, it is not as bad as a traffic jam in Nigeria. Lol

I presume you take Immodium Tom?

With my mum having Crohns I can completely understand how you're feeling. Mum said that before I was born she regularly had to dump her trolley in the middle of Waitrose and make a dash to the loo. It's a horrible feeling and can be very dehabilitating.

I dont like hangovers!!! I must have had a dodgy bottle, cant explain feeling rough otherwise!:whistling: 

It definitely wasnt the other 14 bottles of sugar and caffeine loaded Blue WKD's! I do love my manly drinks!:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

A bike night just work then as you can filter through traffic to the front row and at least you keep moving till the next exit or past the incident. Personally I think growing up in Africa gas helped me deal with traffic here as no matter how bad it is, it is not as bad as a traffic jam in Nigeria. Lol

I'd be terrified on a bike lol, at least you've got some protection with a big tin box and stability with 4 wheels. Even that wouldn't work 100% either though, when they close both lanes you still can't go anywhere even on a bike.

I didn't realise there were that many cars in Nigeria lol!  I saw something the other day that said the UKs roads are the most congested in the world...I'm sure that's not true though, places like India and Japan look far more congested on TV!  Part of the problem with the UK system is the time it takes to clear accidents and open at least one lane to keep traffic moving.  It's inconvenient for me but I always think about how much money is being lost by businesses with trucks and commercial vans etc all stuck stationary.  The Germans seem to have better systems in place for those situations.

4 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

I presume you take Immodium?

With my mum having Crohns I can completely understand how you're feeling. Mum said that before I was born she regularly had to dump her trolley in the middle of Waitrose and make a dash to the loo. It's a horrible feeling and can be very dehabilitating.

I don't take anything...I do keep a box of them in the car (along with water, loo roll, antibac wipes, spare underwear etc) but I just can't risk the side effects.  By the time it gets bad enough to consider risking the side effects it's too late anyway.  I know I'm my own worst enemy lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club