Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Still no cancellations so far and the surgery shut at 4pm.

I've got a couple of 1½ bottles of Pussers Gunpowder Proof rum to hand, and also a large bottle of vodka.  Spirits are acceptable along with dry wine on my low carb diet, which is handy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GMX said:

Still no cancellations so far and the surgery shut at 4pm.

I've got a couple of 1½ bottles of Pussers Gunpowder Proof rum to hand, and also a large bottle of vodka.  Spirits are acceptable along with dry wine on my low carb diet, which is handy.

Could you sit in the dentist waiting room and if one person is delayed 2 minutes they could take you in and give you numming injection 😂 predictive text put bumming in there had to change it 😭😂😐

anyway: then fit you in after that patient for the extraction .

surly the could fit between visits but I'm sure they will Xray first incase the root is curved like one of mine was curved under the tooth next to it, couldn't pull it had to put me sleep and operate was a euphoric experience i must say.

I initially had a cavity which i left untreated resulting in the tooth rotting, 

first extraction attempt fractured the Shell of the tooth causing it to break clean with the surface of my gum leaving nothing to grip.

later got appointment for operation and the give me the root in a bag it's entirety was within my gum massive

20150908_192105_zpsr7csbxiw.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Could you sit in the dentist waiting room and if one person is delayed 2 minutes they could take you in and give you numming injection 😂 predictive text put bumming in there had to change it 😭😂😐

anyway: then fit you in after that patient for the extraction .

surly the could fit between visits but I'm sure they will Xray first incase the root is curved like one of mine was curved under the tooth next to it, couldn't pull it had to put me sleep and operate was a euphoric experience i must say.

That's a brilliant idea Lenny:smile:

it's the middle molar on the right hand upper side.  The wisdom tooth on the same side his predecessor removed some time ago, had very curved roots.  He actually had to cut into the gum to get it out:ohmy: and then use what looked like a melon spoon to scoop it out from the side

• Like 1

I don't like considering a Kia... :mellow:

Anyone know what they're like compared to the Fiesta?  This particular one seems to come with a decent spec (is that a heated windscreen button even?) and has reasonable tax/mpg/power compromise.  Does look like the tyres are probably about as stupid as the Fiesta tyres though, when will they learn low profile tyres are crap on anything other a race track. :sad: 

http://www.marshall.co.uk/kia/used-cars/6847302-kia-rio-1.4-3-5dr/

That's a brilliant idea Lennysmile.png
it's the middle molar on the right hand upper side.  The wisdom tooth on the same side his predecessor removed some time ago, had very curved roots.  He actually had to cut into the gum to get it outohmy.png and then use what looked like a melon spoon to scoop it out from the side

Do you not have a local NHS Dental Access Centre?

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

I don't like getting in the Focus tonight to find this...

WP_20170113_18_18_50_Pro.jpg

My mother has absolutely no compunction when it comes to driving around and using up all the fuel, then leaving it for me to fill up again.  God's truth!!! :angry:

• Like 1

i had a voice mail on my phone this morning from a solicitor wanting to contact me about my accident last march, and infact i did have one while at work at prevoius employer in a customers car. car behind me hit me while i was turning left off main road. long story short the person who hit me said it wasnt her fault and now its got to insurance companies solicitors to sort out in court!! last i heard about it was last may when i gave the insurance broker my version of events. no wonder car insurance premiums are high.

I don't like not knowing the cause to my dad's 200-250 quid monthly electricity bills for the past two months... :sad:

Any suggestions, apart from the obvious one of double checking meter readings are correct? At this point, I am beginning to lean more and more towards hiring a qualified electrician to try and pinpoint the cause of the excess draw (by tapping into the fusebox, and checking current draw for each circuit by switching circuits on & off till the faulty one is found).

If an appliance supplied by my dad's landlord is found to be faulty (e.g. hot water boiler) and the cause of the excessive draw, where would I stand legally?

I don't like fecking hate the white Ford transit van that decided that he was going to overtake as many vehicles as possible on icy/snowy roads during morning rush hour.

I've got him on dashcam but it's too cold to go back out and get it from the car (plus I'm too lazy right now to do it). Needless to say that white van man peeved me off :furious::furious:

I also don't like the women in the silver Mazda (I think) that decided to dance in her car with both hands off the wheel!! Again, got her on my dashcam.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Incontro said:

I don't like not knowing the cause to my dad's 200-250 quid monthly electricity bills for the past two months... :sad:

Any suggestions, apart from the obvious one of double checking meter readings are correct? At this point, I am beginning to lean more and more towards hiring a qualified electrician to try and pinpoint the cause of the excess draw (by tapping into the fusebox, and checking current draw for each circuit by switching circuits on & off till the faulty one is found).

If an appliance supplied by my dad's landlord is found to be faulty (e.g. hot water boiler) and the cause of the excessive draw, where would I stand legally?

Does he have a tumble dryer?  That wouldn't be the entire problem, but would contribute towards it.  Other than that, it would have to be something such as an immersion heater permanently turned on or something along those lines. 

It is incredibly rare for an electric meter to be faulty, but you could do a burns test (take a reading every day for 7 days) to see if it is the same increase every day or erratic. 

Finally, do you have bills showing his usage to be lower, and then suddenly increasing? 

• Like 2

I don't like that there weren't cancellations today either.  :sad:

I did ponder doing Lenny's suggestion but then thought it might be a bit excessive to leave Brandy all day with my neighbour with the Focus. 

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Do you not have a local NHS Dental Access Centre?

It seems not, all the urgent dental care is directed to A&E.  Unless you happen to be in receipt of means tested benefits and not registered to any local dentists, then there's a centre in Boscombe (  suburb east of Bournemouth)

58 minutes ago, Incontro said:

He hasn't got a neighbour who's illegally drawing supply from before the meter?  An immersion heater that's been forgotten and has been left on?  That's excessive for a single person household:ohmy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

Must be something wrong somewhere! We pay half that, 6 in the household. What does your dad's contract say? Would be worth getting a sparky in to check, make sure there's not a fire hazard somewhere. Surely if there is a fault the landlord will be liable? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Incontro said:

I don't like not knowing the cause to my dad's 200-250 quid monthly electricity bills for the past two months.

Does he have gas heating?

If not, it may be not an unreasonable amount for an older person in an averagely insulated house. £220 at 15p/kWhr is only an average of 2kW  (24/7), and it could easily take that to heat a flat or small house to a temperature that is comfortable for an older person. My mother keeps her heating on 24/7 now, topped up by a gas fire, since she became ill last November. She is over 90 now though.

Her heating is gas, which is about a quarter of the cost of electricity.

I need about 4kW (24/7 average) in winter to keep my old stone built house warm. But that is mostly gas & some wood. Minimal electrical heating.

Electricity is an extremely expensive way to heat a house, but if it is rented, and has no gas, it may be the only way.

It certainly needs some investigation though. There are plenty of power meters on the market, electricity companies were giving them away free a few years ago. Some are plug in, some clamp over cables in the fuse box.

• Like 2

As above electricity is a really inefficient way to heat.  My electric bill triples in January compared to June mainly due to just 2 storage heaters which can only be used on the cheap rate (7p/kWh), that's an extra ~£60 for me in a small flat!

The daft thing is, even with all that spent, it's still not 'comfortably warm' in here a lot of the time, I never have them on more than half.  The only time it feels warm (sometimes too warm!) is when the sun shines through the French doors (south facing)...the most efficient and FREE heating source available is 90,000,000 miles away! :laugh: 

Have you checked those bills yourself btw?  My Nan was paying a ridiculous amount for hers, when I checked it they were estimating bills (partly her fault as she forgot to give them readings when they asked!) and she got about £300 returned to her due to the over charge.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Incontro said:

Is he on Economy7? Just read a couple of posts on a local FB page about some E7 meters not changing to 'cheap' rate, therefore charging everything at the higher rate! Might be worth a look?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Incontro said:

Last year I began improving my home and in the process I became very interested in energy saving products; 

I researched the web for months and found a few items worthy of investment and I've created a explanation thread here may be of interest to you;

One particular item is this UK manufactured time switch for the immersion, it automatically switches itself off after a set amount of time saves going up stairs twice to turn it off and ideal for times you may forget. 

_57_zpsww3styyk.jpg
20160905_125143_zpselvecsca_edit_1473078

They also have a plug in version which I use for the television in the kids bedroom otherwise it would be left on for ages. I also have one stuck to the plug top of the iron so it's never left on neither 

20160913_153500_zpsnjbcr7mr_edit_1473777

20160913_153517_zpsa7ws6u7x_edit_1473777
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, GMX said:

He hasn't got a neighbour who's illegally drawing supply from before the meter?  An immersion heater that's been forgotten and has been left on? 

Or a secret grow house in the attic😁

that one should be obvious juring these frosty mornings if the roof isint frosted over 😤😧

• Like 1

I don't like hitting my thumb whilst chopping firewood! Currently numbing the pain with McEwan's 80/- but might need something a bit stronger! :-) 

IMG_20170114_171942078.jpg

Wow, wasn't expecting so many replies, thanks a lot guys, this is why this so forum is so amazing, everyone is so helpful to each other :smile:

21 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Does he have a tumble dryer?  That wouldn't be the entire problem, but would contribute towards it.  Other than that, it would have to be something such as an immersion heater permanently turned on or something along those lines. 

It is incredibly rare for an electric meter to be faulty, but you could do a burns test (take a reading every day for 7 days) to see if it is the same increase every day or erratic. 

Finally, do you have bills showing his usage to be lower, and then suddenly increasing? 

No tumble dryer. The boiler cupboard looks more complicated than the engine bay of my Focus. :blink: Pipes and wires going everywhere. It seems like there are two separate water heaters:

(1) An electric instantaneous boiler rated at 9kW, one that looks like this: https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/amptec-c400-4kw-electric-flow-boiler/?gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOvcqAkvtKA3bAeuwapikaUNhJamcpMIQjEylInpQJkJRoCvTPw_wcB. It seems to feed water into a big black plastic tank.

(2) An electric immersion heater, with its own separate green tank. This is currently (and always has been) switched OFF.

Dad moved in as the tenant around three months ago Jamie, and all readings have been high. Interestingly, I found out from the electricity company (NPower) that when the flat was unoccupied before my dad moved in, approx 70kwh was used in a 16 day period, which seems somewhat excessive? The kitchen was refurbed by the landlord during this time, and flat cleaned, but surely even this couldn't account for such high usage? Or am I wrong... I will definitely get NPower to test the meter.

20 hours ago, GMX said:

I don't like that there weren't cancellations today either.  :sad:

I did ponder doing Lenny's suggestion but then thought it might be a bit excessive to leave Brandy all day with my neighbour with the Focus. 

It seems not, all the urgent dental care is directed to A&E.  Unless you happen to be in receipt of means tested benefits and not registered to any local dentists, then there's a centre in Boscombe (  suburb east of Bournemouth)

He hasn't got a neighbour who's illegally drawing supply from before the meter?  An immersion heater that's been forgotten and has been left on?  That's excessive for a single person household:ohmy:

That thought has occurred to me already, but how likely is it?

19 hours ago, Turvey said:

Must be something wrong somewhere! We pay half that, 6 in the household. What does your dad's contract say? Would be worth getting a sparky in to check, make sure there's not a fire hazard somewhere. Surely if there is a fault the landlord will be liable? 

Pretty much a standard tenancy contract. As far as my research has revealed - there is nothing concrete that mentions liability regarding excessive power consumption caused by fittings/fixtures (appliances) that are part of a tenanted property. Will definitely use fire hazard as a bargaining chip.

18 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Does he have gas heating?

If not, it may be not an unreasonable amount for an older person in an averagely insulated house. £220 at 15p/kWhr is only an average of 2kW  (24/7), and it could easily take that to heat a flat or small house to a temperature that is comfortable for an older person. My mother keeps her heating on 24/7 now, topped up by a gas fire, since she became ill last November. She is over 90 now though.

Her heating is gas, which is about a quarter of the cost of electricity.

I need about 4kW (24/7 average) in winter to keep my old stone built house warm. But that is mostly gas & some wood. Minimal electrical heating.

Electricity is an extremely expensive way to heat a house, but if it is rented, and has no gas, it may be the only way.

It certainly needs some investigation though. There are plenty of power meters on the market, electricity companies were giving them away free a few years ago. Some are plug in, some clamp over cables in the fuse box.

In my previous rental property (a 1 bedroom flat with nearly ZERO insulation) - it was all electric heating (no gas) - just convector heaters in every room. Despite running them non-stop whenever I was in the house, my bills were only 50-55 a month. My dad's flat has central heating - with radiators in each room, where water is heated by an electric boiler. Surely this should be slightly more efficient than just convector heaters? The flat my dad lives in was apparently built in 2004, so it has noticeably better insulation too.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

As above electricity is a really inefficient way to heat.  My electric bill triples in January compared to June mainly due to just 2 storage heaters which can only be used on the cheap rate (7p/kWh), that's an extra ~£60 for me in a small flat!

The daft thing is, even with all that spent, it's still not 'comfortably warm' in here a lot of the time, I never have them on more than half.  The only time it feels warm (sometimes too warm!) is when the sun shines through the French doors (south facing)...the most efficient and FREE heating source available is 90,000,000 miles away! :laugh: 

Have you checked those bills yourself btw?  My Nan was paying a ridiculous amount for hers, when I checked it they were estimating bills (partly her fault as she forgot to give them readings when they asked!) and she got about £300 returned to her due to the over charge.

Yep, all bills are based off actual readings.

3 hours ago, Turvey said:

Is he on Economy7? Just read a couple of posts on a local FB page about some E7 meters not changing to 'cheap' rate, therefore charging everything at the higher rate! Might be worth a look?

I believe it is single rate - NPower have offered to replace the current meter (dated 2004) with a dual tariff meter.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Wow, wasn't expecting so many replies, thanks a lot guys, this is why this so forum is so amazing, everyone is so helpful to each other :smile:

No tumble dryer. The boiler cupboard looks more complicated than the engine bay of my Focus. :blink: Pipes and wires going everywhere. It seems like there are two separate water heaters:

(1) An electric instantaneous boiler rated at 9kW, one that looks like this: https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/amptec-c400-4kw-electric-flow-boiler/?gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOvcqAkvtKA3bAeuwapikaUNhJamcpMIQjEylInpQJkJRoCvTPw_wcB. It seems to feed water into a big black plastic tank.

(2) An electric immersion heater, with its own separate green tank. This is currently (and always has been) switched OFF.

Dad moved in as the tenant around three months ago Jamie, and all readings have been high. Interestingly, I found out from the electricity company (NPower) that when the flat was unoccupied before my dad moved in, approx 70kwh was used in a 16 day period, which seems somewhat excessive? The kitchen was refurbed by the landlord during this time, and flat cleaned, but surely even this couldn't account for such high usage? Or am I wrong... I will definitely get NPower to test the meter.

That thought has occurred to me already, but how likely is it?

Pretty much a standard tenancy contract. As far as my research has revealed - there is nothing concrete that mentions liability regarding excessive power consumption caused by fittings/fixtures (appliances) that are part of a tenanted property. Will definitely use fire hazard as a bargaining chip.

In my previous rental property (a 1 bedroom flat with nearly ZERO insulation) - it was all electric heating (no gas) - just convector heaters in every room. Despite running them non-stop whenever I was in the house, my bills were only 50-55 a month. My dad's flat has central heating - with radiators in each room, where water is heated by an electric boiler. Surely this should be slightly more efficient than just convector heaters? The flat my dad lives in was apparently built in 2004, so it has noticeably better insulation too.

Yep, all bills are based off actual readings.

I believe it is single rate - NPower have offered to replace the current meter (dated 2004) with a dual tariff meter.

I've just got home from work, and now I feel like I'm back there again! :laugh:

70 units in 16 days isn't really excessive, if there was usage from refurbishment (power tools) and cleaning (vacuums etc...).  It equates to around £10-15.  The average is around 15-20 units per day, but I've seen people use as little as 5 or as much as 50. 

NPower could fit a check-meter, but they will likely be very reluctant to do so and even if they do, it will most likely show the meter to be working correctly, because as I said they very rarely go wrong. 

Unless the heating/hot water runs between 23:00 - 07:00 then there would be no benefit to an Economy 7 (dual rate) meter, as although you get a lower night rate, your day rate is higher to offset.

How many units is he using per month, going by the bills? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't like hitting my thumb whilst chopping firewood! Currently numbing the pain with McEwan's 80/- but might need something a bit stronger! :-) 

IMG_20170114_171942078.jpg

Ouch!  I think a whisky would be more appropriate for that...

• Like 1

Instant electric boiler for water and radiators will probably be your problem there unfortunately.

It'll really eat electric when the heating is on or for showers etc and will mostly be running on standard rate electric even if you're on an eco tarrif as well.

My Dad had a similar system in his last flat (also around 2004 build) and was on an economy 18 tarrif, I'd never heard of it before lol, 18 hours of cheap rate and he still had stupidly high bills.

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

Ouch!  I think a whisky would be more appropriate for that...

Thanks for that Dr Murray! The beer is making me pee more and I'm finding it difficult to do up the top button on my jeans with my injury. So by drinking stronger 'medicine' but in lesser amounts I'll still be able to administer correct dosages! Good call! :smile: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Thanks for that Dr Murray! The beer is making me pee more and I'm finding it difficult to do up the top button on my jeans with my injury. So by drinking stronger 'medicine' but in lesser amounts I'll still be able to administer correct dosages! Good call! :smile: 

My thinking exactly.  I'll write you a prescription straight away!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

My thinking exactly.  I'll write you a prescription straight away!

Could I get that on repeat prescription? :wine:

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club