Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like the way my Mum had parked the Mk1 in the drive, after she used it this morning.  Almost worthy of our YPLAC thread:sad:  The drive is three and a half car widths wide at the bottom

It was in the hedge:ohmy:, not tightly against the hedge, actually in the hedge!  She said she didn't notice the scraping and scratching as the twigs and leaves forcefully brushed all along the nearside.  Apart from knocking out the repeater from the wing, there's surprisingly no damage.

21 hours ago, Turvey said:

I don't like hitting my thumb whilst chopping firewood! Currently numbing the pain with McEwan's 80/- but might need something a bit stronger! :-) 

IMG_20170114_171942078.jpg

Kindling splitting?

I've done similar when I thought I'd use a billhook for expediency rather than the hand axe.  Had I not hit the thumbnail: I could've shortened my thumb by a good 10mm

Although given my current tooth pain, I'd gladly swap an thwacked thumb pain for my tooth pain

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GMX said:

Kindling splitting?

I've done similar when I thought I'd use a billhook for expediency rather than the hand axe.  Had I not hit the thumbnail: I could've shortened my thumb by a good 10mm

Although given my current tooth pain, I'd gladly swap an thwacked thumb pain for my tooth pain

We buy bags of kindling from a charity shop, saves me the bother and helps a good cause as well. 

I take home the blocks from old pallets and split them by placing a handless old axe head and hitting it with a hammer! Only this time I managed to miss :rolleyes: I'm now looking for a less dangerous method :biggrin:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turvey said:

We buy bags of kindling from a charity shop, saves me the bother and helps a good cause as well. 

I take home the blocks from old pallets and split them by placing a handless old axe head and hitting it with a hammer! Only this time I managed to miss :rolleyes: I'm now looking for a less dangerous method :biggrin:

Perhaps an axe with a handle would be a better option? :wink:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like the way my Mum had parked the Mk1 in the drive, after she used it this morning.  Almost worthy of our YPLAC thread:sad:  The drive is three and a half car widths wide at the bottom

It was in the hedge:ohmy:, not tightly against the hedge, actually in the hedge!  She said she didn't notice the scraping and scratching as the twigs and leaves forcefully brushed all along the nearside.  Apart from knocking out the repeater from the wing, there's surprisingly no damage.

That is fortunate Ghana.  My mother did quite a bit of damage to the old MK4 Fiesta when we lived in one of our previous houses, as she (initially) insisted on reversing into the drive rather than pulling in forwards.  The result was almost ripping the front bumper off on one occasion and smashing the N/S wing mirror off on another.  I can kind of understand how she managed though, as it was a narrow drive with a fence on one end (which she hit doing the damage), and both times she realised what she'd done immediately. 

Needless to say after the wing mirror incident she started pulling in forwards and reversing out, which was easier to do, and thankfully the Fiesta suffered no further damage.

Does your Mum wear glasses?  If so, she may simply need her eyes re-tested, as it sounds like per depth perception is at fault.

5 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Perhaps an axe with a handle would be a better option? :wink:

:biggrin:  it used to have a handle but it broke! 

7 minutes ago, Turvey said:

How about one of the slide hammer based splitters?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRACTOR-FACTORY-PREMIUM-QUALITY-MANUAL-LOG-SPLITTER-WOOD-CUTTER-/281812495873?hash=item419d556e01:g:IwwAAOSwcLxYMxZ5

• Like 1

I don't like my increasing lethargy, which I've noticed to become a real issue in the past few months.  I've never been a great sleeper, but from time to time I do get a decent 7-8 hour sleep, but even then I find myself drifting off whilst sitting at work, or watching TV.  Not at night, but in the morning and early afternoon when I should be at my peak of alertness!! 

The most worrying part now is that I've started to notice it whilst driving... :mellow:

Thing is, I've had blood tests done a couple of months ago and again when I was in hospital in December after my accident, and neither time did anything come up other than slightly reduced kidney function on the latter.  An MRI scan revealed no damage though so I was told it was fine.

Question is, what could be causing my problem that wouldn't show up on a blood test? :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Turvey said:

:biggrin:  it used to have a handle but it broke! 

Time to buy a new one then! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Does your Mum wear glasses?  If so, she may simply need her eyes re-tested, as it sounds like per depth perception is at fault.

Yes she does, that would make sense, particularly when she said she thought she was further over than she actually was.

11 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like my increasing lethargy, which I've noticed to become a real issue in the past few months.  I've never been a great sleeper, but from time to time I do get a decent 7-8 hour sleep, but even then I find myself drifting off whilst sitting at work, or watching TV.  Not at night, but in the morning and early afternoon when I should be at my peak of alertness!! 

The most worrying part now is that I've started to notice it whilst driving... :mellow:

Thing is, I've had blood tests done a couple of months ago and again when I was in hospital in December after my accident, and neither time did anything come up other than slightly reduced kidney function on the latter.  An MRI scan revealed no damage though so I was told it was fine.

Question is, what could be causing my problem that wouldn't show up on a blood test? :unsure:

Low blood sugar can cause lethargy.

See what happens next time you are drifting off at work, if you consume something sugary or have a glucose drink

5 minutes ago, GMX said:

Low blood sugar can cause lethargy.

See what happens next time you are drifting off at work, if you consume something sugary or have a glucose drink

Do energy drinks count?  If so, then they do have enough effect to stop my from literally falling asleep, but don't take away the feeling of extreme tiredness.

I doubt I have low blood sugar levels though, as I eat a lot of sweet things, and take sugar in my coffee etc...  If anything, I'd have the opposite problem.

5 minutes ago, GMX said:

Yes she does, that would make sense, particularly when she said she thought she was further over than she actually was.

They say that if you are over 70 then you should have your eyes tested every 12 months, so if it has been longer than that then I'd do my best to get her to make an appointment.

19 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Do energy drinks count?  If so, then they do have enough effect to stop my from literally falling asleep, but don't take away the feeling of extreme tiredness.

I doubt I have low blood sugar levels though, as I eat a lot of sweet things, and take sugar in my coffee etc...  If anything, I'd have the opposite problem.

Yes, energy drinks are basically glucose with caffeine and flavourings.

24 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

They say that if you are over 70 then you should have your eyes tested every 12 months, so if it has been longer than that then I'd do my best to get her to make an appointment.

I don't think she's had one for a while, it used to be annual event when my Dad was alive

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GMX said:

Yes, energy drinks are basically glucose with caffeine and flavourings.

I think the problem in that case could be that I have built up such a tolerance to energy drinks that my body is no longer effected by them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I think the problem in that case could be that I have built up such a tolerance to energy drinks that my body is no longer effected by them.

Hi✋

41 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't think she's had one for a while, it used to be annual event when my Dad was alive

I was reading the thread from the bottom up 😁 meaning i read this before finding out you was discussing eye tests 😂 thought it was somthing more intimate a ride😭😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I was reading the thread from the bottom up 😁 meaning i read this before finding out you was discussing eye tests 😂 thought it was somthing more intimate a ride😭😂

:lol::lol:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Looking at that particular quote out of context, I can see what you mean... :laugh:

• Like 2

Just now, jmurray01 said:

Sorry? :huh:

I'm the same when it comes to energy drinks 

• Like 2

I don't like that Brandy seems to have gone off tripe, she is now eating her tea of chicken wings and lamb hearts; but has yet to touch her bowl of breakfast tripe:sad:

i have an entire freezer draw of tripe, such was her fondness for tripe:mellow:

• Like 1

Energy drinks will perk you up regardless of your blood sugar to be fair, all that caffeine and taurine will work on any one. Try a drink of lucozade and a couple of digestive biscuits. Do you eat breakfast, a good breakfast will 'stoke the fires' and keep you going. Try some cereal/porridge and a banana. There is also that SAD effect, if you're into all that stuff. If you have a recent viral illness you can be lethargic for weeks afterwards. There is also M.E. There are so many causes for lethargy, energy drinks can actually cause this because of the 'come down' if you drink a bit of it.
7-8 hrs sleep, what's that? Due to my steroids (medicinal) I am lucky to get 5 hrs a night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Energy drinks will perk you up regardless of your blood sugar to be fair, all that caffeine and taurine will work on any one. Try a drink of lucozade and a couple of digestive biscuits. Do you eat breakfast, a good breakfast will 'stoke the fires' and keep you going. Try some cereal/porridge and a banana. There is also that SAD effect, if you're into all that stuff. If you have a recent viral illness you can be lethargic for weeks afterwards. There is also M.E. There are so many causes for lethargy, energy drinks can actually cause this because of the 'come down' if you drink a bit of it.
7-8 hrs sleep, what's that? Due to my steroids (medicinal) I am lucky to get 5 hrs a night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You say that, but it has got to the point now where I can drink 1 litre of energy drink and feel no different to before I drank it.  Coffee and caffeine in general has stopped giving me any "buzz" whatsoever. 

I rarely eat anything for breakfast as I always wake up feeling nauseous.  Sometimes I'll have a bacon sandwich/roll but that's about it.  That said, I may try having a bowl of porridge tomorrow as an experiment to see if it makes any difference.

It is funny you should mention ME, as I had just thought about that half an hour ago as a possible cause.  The only person who can really say what the problem is would be a doctor, but all the doctors I've seen since moving up here (from Buckie) have been more interested in getting me out the door ASAP rather than listening to what I have to say. 

5 hours is the most I usually get, but more often than not it is 3-4 hours, which is what I put my tiredness down to until I have had a few instances of getting 7-8 hours and still felt the same.

I don't like realising how few pairs of Levis I have left!  One pair of my stonewash jeans no longer fit (30 inch waist - I've now increased to a 32) and another had to be retired last year due to wear at the knees.  Meaning I'm now left with one pair of stonewash, one black and one beige - three in total. 

On 1/14/2017 at 6:16 PM, jmurray01 said:

I've just got home from work, and now I feel like I'm back there again! :laugh:

70 units in 16 days isn't really excessive, if there was usage from refurbishment (power tools) and cleaning (vacuums etc...).  It equates to around £10-15.  The average is around 15-20 units per day, but I've seen people use as little as 5 or as much as 50. 

NPower could fit a check-meter, but they will likely be very reluctant to do so and even if they do, it will most likely show the meter to be working correctly, because as I said they very rarely go wrong. 

Unless the heating/hot water runs between 23:00 - 07:00 then there would be no benefit to an Economy 7 (dual rate) meter, as although you get a lower night rate, your day rate is higher to offset.

How many units is he using per month, going by the bills? 

Wow, do you work at a utility co. jamie? 

We tried turning some stuff on and off, and monitoring the usage. Even left the heating off for a whole day, just to see what happens. Turns out the draw is almost exclusively thanks to the central heating. Google reveals that wet electric central heating systems (that use electric boilers) are the WORST (most expensive) out of anything else there is. I've suggested to dad to cancel the central heating, and just to use 2 electric cheap radiators, as surely that will be far cheaper to run (which is what I did in my previous own flat, and only paid 55/month in electricity, despite running electric radiators for a minimum of 6 hours a day).

Going by bills, approx 1250kwh/month.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Wow, do you work at a utility co. jamie? 

We tried turning some stuff on and off, and monitoring the usage. Even left the heating off for a whole day, just to see what happens. Turns out the draw is almost exclusively thanks to the central heating. Google reveals that wet electric central heating systems (that use electric boilers) are the WORST (most expensive) out of anything else there is. I've suggested to dad to cancel the central heating, and just to use 2 electric cheap radiators, as surely that will be far cheaper to run (which is what I did in my previous own flat, and only paid 55/month in electricity, despite running electric radiators for a minimum of 6 hours a day).

Going by bills, approx 1250kwh/month.

I work for an outsourcing company who provides call centre services to a major UK energy supplier, put it that way... :laugh:

1250 units is a heck of a lot to use in a month, but is not at all surprising if he has an electric central heating system.  They are the worst, even worse than storage heaters.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club