Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like being parked near a school this afternoon and seeing how many girls are wearing leggings to school...  Back in "my day" (which was only 10-15 years ago!) they would have been sent home with a note to their parents telling them to wear proper black trousers or a skirt, and not leggings or black jeans.

If that's the way children are "disciplined" these days, then it makes me very glad I'm not a parent.

I don't like being parked near a school this afternoon and seeing how many girls are wearing leggings to school...  Back in "my day" (which was only 10-15 years ago!) they would have been sent home with a note to their parents telling them to wear proper black trousers or a skirt, and not leggings or black jeans.

If that's the way children are "disciplined" these days, then it makes me very glad I'm not a parent.

Wait what? Like only a school top/blouse and leggings? Surely they would wear it under a skirt. 🙃🙃 I finished school 10yrs ago as well and even when I came to the UK in 2008 the decorations in discipline and social etiquette is alarming.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Just now, Ken.K said:

Wait what? Like only a school top/blouse and leggings? Surely they would wear it under a skirt. 🙃🙃

Nope, just leggings.  I have a dislike for leggings anyway as I think they make women look cheap, but on young children/teenagers it is even worse, and to be quite honest is saying "look at me!" to any paedophiles.

Nope, just leggings.  I have a dislike for leggings anyway as I think they make women look cheap, but on young children/teenagers it is even worse, and to be quite honest is saying "look at me!" to any paedophiles.

Nah that's just wrong. Saw a girl just now actually not older than 15 wearing one of them bf tops boots and ciggy in hand. Think pretty woman look. Just made me sad

23 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Wait what? Like only a school top/blouse and leggings? Surely they would wear it under a skirt. 🙃🙃 I finished school 10yrs ago as well and even when I came to the UK in 2008 the decorations in discipline and social etiquette is alarming.

Where are you from originally then?

grew up in Nigeria.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Modern parenting & discipline (or lack thereof), and the s*x/drugs/booze culture in the media are to blame!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Modern parenting & discipline (or lack thereof), and the s*x/drugs/booze culture in the media are to blame!

Well, to be honest those three things have been in the media since the 1960s, so I don't think it is so much that children are exposed to more these days, but that the parents don't care enough to tell children what they should and should not do.  Just because you see something on TV or online, it doesn't mean you should do it yourself.

24 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Well, to be honest those three things have been in the media since the 1960s, so I don't think it is so much that children are exposed to more these days, but that the parents don't care enough to tell children what they should and should not do.  Just because you see something on TV or online, it doesn't mean you should do it yourself.

True, good point

• Like 1

True, good point

Bro I used to watch wrestling back when we have ultimate warrior etc and did not repeat anything. Listen to rap with my brother did not swear cos I would get whooped. Lol

• Like 1

Just now, Ken.K said:

Bro I used to watch wrestling back when we have ultimate warrior etc and did not repeat anything. Listen to rap with my brother did not swear cos I would get whooped. Lol

Exactly!  It is a bad parent that hides their child away from any swearing for fear that they will repeat it.  A good parent shouldn't worry about the occasional swear word being heard by their child, because they have enough discipline not to repeat it.

Exactly!  It is a bad parent that hides their child away from any swearing for fear that they will repeat it.  A good parent shouldn't worry about the occasional swear word being heard by their child, because they have enough discipline not to repeat it.

Or fear of the spanking

Just now, Ken.K said:

Or fear of the spanking

Yep!  The threat of getting a smack was quite common when I was growing up, but in the past 10 years it has become totally unacceptable to the point where parents have no control whatsoever!  It's absolutely ridiculous.

I think I got smacked maybe 2-3 times at the most, which was enough to teach me not to misbehave when it was threatened again!! 

Yep!  The threat of getting a smack was quite common when I was growing up, but in the past 10 years it has become totally unacceptable to the point where parents have no control whatsoever!  It's absolutely ridiculous.

I think I got smacked maybe 2-3 times at the most, which was enough to teach me not to misbehave when it was threatened again!! 

I got the look which was more terrifying than the smack. Lol you always looked for the look or nod before you respond or accept things.

• Like 1

I think I was only smacked a handful of times when I was a child, it did me no harm at all. I never swore (I do now) until I was in high school and still don't swear in front of my parents. When I was in school, I left in 97, the girls had to wear a skirt a shirt a tie and a blazer. No trousers allowed for girls. Boys wore black trousers a shirt a tie and a blazer. No skirts allowed for boys [emoji87]. If you didn't wear the uniform correctly you were pulled up for it and had to make it right.
It's not just uniforms that are concerning, there are all these 'crazes' from the Internet. There was the cinnamon challenge then the kylie Jenner lips thing, not to mention the 'Charlie charlie' one and now the latest thing is the kid hyperventilates until dizzy then stickers their thumb in their mouth and hold their breath until they pass out!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't like being in drive and observing, what at first glance upon the wet road (it was raining) was a trail of oil splashes leading from the crossroads and up the drive to the Mk1 Focus.:sad:  Mu Mum had been using it to go her nurse appointment:huh: 

Now it's stopped raining and I've had a look, it's not oil but power steering fluid and it's coming from the seal on the pump below the power steering pressure switch.  The reservoir level is well below minimum but not totally empty:ohmy:  So, that's failed sometime between Sunday afternoon (when I did my weekly checks) and this morning.  Although, it rained yesterday too and there weren't any  splash trails in the drive, when I passed by with Pipper.  Which would make  seal fail this morning.

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I think I was only smacked a handful of times when I was a child, it did me no harm at all. I never swore (I do now) until I was in high school and still don't swear in front of my parents. When I was in school, I left in 97, the girls had to wear a skirt a shirt a tie and a blazer. No trousers allowed for girls. Boys wore black trousers a shirt a tie and a blazer. No skirts allowed for boys emoji87.png. If you didn't wear the uniform correctly you were pulled up for it and had to make it right.
It's not just uniforms that are concerning, there are all these 'crazes' from the Internet. There was the cinnamon challenge then the kylie Jenner lips thing, not to mention the 'Charlie charlie' one and now the latest thing is the kid hyperventilates until dizzy then stickers their thumb in their mouth and hold their breath until they pass out!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See, that's how it should be in my opinion.  A colleague of mine lived in South Africa for many years and has told me it is still the same over there with very strict school attire. 

The UK has become incredibly lackadaisical when it comes to discipline in general and especially schools.  But of course, the "political correctness" and sects have made it so that you cannot tell anybody to do anything as you are being "discriminatory"!  No school in the UK would get away with telling girls not to wear trousers or it would be headline news and their name dragged through the mud for "not allowing children to express their true sexuality".  Same as they could not ban boys from wearing skirts...  MADNESS!!

It's all gone to hell in a hand basket!!

4 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like being in drive and observing, what at first glance upon the wet road (it was raining) was a trail of oil splashes leading from the crossroads and up the drive to the Mk1 Focus.:sad:  Mu Mum had been using it to go her nurse appointment:huh: 

Now it's stopped raining and I've had a look, it's not oil but power steering fluid and it's coming from the seal on the pump below the power steering pressure switch.  The reservoir level is well below minimum but not totally empty:ohmy:  So, that's failed sometime between Sunday afternoon (when I did my weekly checks) and this morning.  Although, it rained yesterday too and there weren't any  splash trails in the drive, when I passed by with Pipper.  Which would make  seal fail this morning.

Good thing it only happened when she was nearly home!  I don't imagine she'd have had enough strength to steer if the power steering had failed entirely.

45 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Good thing it only happened when she was nearly home!  I don't imagine she'd have had enough strength to steer if the power steering had failed entirely.

She'd been rather stuck if had failed earlier, nowadays she often asks me to open her daily can of soup as she lacks the strength to pull the lid off:mellow:

I don't like having to delete 'friends' on FB due to their constant anti-muslim posts and the fact that they seem to think that every Muslim is a terrorist when nothing could be further from the truth! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't like having to delete 'friends' on FB due to their constant anti-muslim posts and the fact that they seem to think that every Muslim is a terrorist when nothing could be further from the truth! 

I know what you mean.  Same as people thinking that every Catholic is a paedophile, it is stereotypical and wrong!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Same as people thinking that every Catholic is a paedophile

......or an IRA terrorist! 

Just now, Turvey said:

......or an IRA terrorist! 

Indeed!

On 22/03/2017 at 1:37 PM, hywelkidd said:

No when you worked there the orders weren't so bad. The last few times they've ordered it's been absolutely ridiculous.

Although not as bad as the order I had from the new B&M yesterday...

ha ha , unlucky. you had to serve me on sunday evening. lol. nice name badge.

• Like 1

I don't like our last guinea pig dying today...  I knew she had been on her last legs for a few weeks (at least), and last night it appeared that she had suffered a stroke with limited mobility to one side of her body.  She seemed back to normal today, but this evening my mother found her cold.  She was 8 years old, which is the top-end of life expectancy for guinea pigs, if that is any consolation.

We originally got three guinea pigs in 2009, the one in question alongside her mother and the mother's sister.  The other two died a few years ago so it was only her left. 

It's strange to think that a few years ago we had over 10 fish, three guinea pigs, two hamsters and the cat.  Now we only have the cat, and to be honest when she dies (currently 12 years old) I doubt we'll get another pet.  They do give a lot of love but they are also a lot of work, and make "spur of the moment" holidays rather difficult, if not impossible.