Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Driving home from work, minding my own business, and all of a sudden my car feels like it's "pulling back" - much more sharply than just taking your foot off the accelerator... It does this once in a blue moon, and i'm yet to figure out what exactly is going on (but it normally only happens on high speed roads like dual carriageways)... certainly wakes you up on the drive home!

I'm going to chuck in my thoughts too. I'm of the same thinking as Phil, it's got to be a brake thing. Do you feel the nose dip or the 4r5e end drop at all? If it's happening at speed then it could be that the brakes are rubbing ever so slightly while you're driving and when you get up a bit of speed they expand and start to grip on a little. I've had that happen to me before, similar warning signs which I ignored, then it all ended rather spectacularly. The fronts expanded and basically locked up my front wheels and sent the rear end round to meet me! Also no brake lights showed so cars behind had no idea apparently. Best to have a look at them yourself or get a free brake inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Micro said:

After driving for a good 10 miles with no handbrake application I'm not sure. It certainly feels more than just dropping the acceleration. I have wondered if a misfire or even something like unwanted abs activation however there is no abs noise when it happens. It's too intermittent to really keep any kind of data logging going...

Edit: Tried the handbrake on the way home - anything over 20mph it doesn't really make a massive difference - certainly no better than just easing off the accelerator... under 20mph it has a more obvious action when applied.

I thought misfire or some kind of power drop, so possibly the injectors. Over 20mph a small infrequent power drop may not be obvious because the speed is effectively hiding it. It may be a fuel pump issue, again the over 20mph would be less noticeable

Yeah but to actually pull back like that has to be more than a misfire or a drop in engine speed unless the op is running a seriously lightweight flywheel and a racing clutch?

Sounds more like there is resistance. Warped discs?

Today has been an incredibly tedious day.

And to top it off, the cruise control/speed limiter has stopped working...I might get a chance to investigate before Christmas...2024...maybe...

I don't like feeling as rough as a badger's a***! Self inflicted lager and gin roughness so no sympathy required 🍻🍸😎

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 7:56 PM, Phil21185 said:

Yeah but to actually pull back like that has to be more than a misfire or a drop in engine speed unless the op is running a seriously lightweight flywheel and a racing clutch?

Sounds more like there is resistance. Warped discs?

On 01/09/2017 at 2:57 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I'm going to chuck in my thoughts too. I'm of the same thinking as Phil, it's got to be a brake thing. Do you feel the nose dip or the 4r5e end drop at all? If it's happening at speed then it could be that the brakes are rubbing ever so slightly while you're driving and when you get up a bit of speed they expand and start to grip on a little. I've had that happen to me before, similar warning signs which I ignored, then it all ended rather spectacularly. The fronts expanded and basically locked up my front wheels and sent the rear end round to meet me! Also no brake lights showed so cars behind had no idea apparently. Best to have a look at them yourself or get a free brake inspection.

It's been happening now (rarely) for at least a year if not more. It doesn't feel like either end drops, and it's that quick then it resolves that I can't even figure out what triggers it. I likened it to when at work if you snap your foot off the gas in the diesel trucks, they jolt then settle down, but my car won't normally do that.

Yesterday it did it at 20mph, so the next few long journeys i'm going to see if i can get a long Forscan log of as many PIDs as I can to see if there is any noticable problem.

I really Don t like the cost photobucket are charging for third party image hosting which affects all of my guides, photobucket want $300 per year to allow the images to display.

Yeah that ones done the rounds lately. Greedy greedy tossbags!

8 hours ago, Micro said:

see if i can get a long Forscan log of as many PIDs as I can

Forscan's inbuilt graph display is a bit limited in the length of log, and number of PIDs it can usefully display, I find.

I have done logs up to about 40 mins, and the time stepping through the display starts to miss bits. And above about 6 PIDs, the display gets too compressed to see fine detail.

Maybe it has improved (I am still on a 2016 download version), but I keep thinking I must decode the raw data in the .FSL file, and write a more flexible display routine. Unfortunately, it is on my Round Tuit list (when I get round to it), and likely to stay there for a while.

When you get more data, you should start a thread for it. The Mods (or Alex at least!) are on the warpath about putting too much technical car stuff in the General Chat forum. Though I am sure it should be allowed to advertise a new thread in this thread.

4 hours ago, Lenny said:

photobucket want $300 per year to allow the images to display.

Sadly, it seems to be the way the Internet is going. Advertise free services, get people in, get their data, then rook 'em hard for all they have got. I suppose it is inevitable really in a hard, commercial world.

I have never been a fan of "Cloud" stuff, for that reason, and also because Clouds have a habit of evaporating suddenly without warning.

This site now offers a good data upload facility, but how long that will last before some money making enterprise takes over and holds everyone to ransom, is anybody's guess. I hope it will be a very long time!

I hate it when your trying to get some body work repairs done that require dry weather and the weather won't oblige .

On 03/09/2017 at 0:05 PM, Turvey said:

I don't like noticing a dark band on the lower half of the screen on our 3-4 year old Samsung TV. 

IMG_20170903_225952635.jpg

My last tv did that and up the right side as well. I put it down to watching too much sky sports news

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

IMG_20170903_225952635.thumb.jpg.3b120d1d0938edf6ded0b4853e57c97c.jpg

Looks like it's time to get a 4K UHD TV [emoji6]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philf1 said:

My last tv did that and up the right side as well. I put it down to watching too much sky sports news

Sent from my iPhone

It's the horizontal dark opaque band going across the screen 😉

6 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Looks like it's time to get a 4K UHD TV emoji6.png

Don't really want to splash out the best part of a grand for a TV that might only last a couple of years 😟

10 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Don't really want to splash out the best part of a grand for a TV that might only last a couple of years 😟

dont then, spend £500 and get a good one for that price

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, Turvey said:

I don't like noticing a dark band on the lower half of the screen on our 3-4 year old Samsung TV. 

It could be that the backlight is knackered; if so I believe it's cheaper just to buy a new TV

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

dont then, spend £500 and get a good one for that price

What would you recommend around that price?

10 minutes ago, CyprusPluto said:

It could be that the backlight is knackered; if so I believe it's cheaper just to buy a new TV

That's kinda what I'm thinking 😟

I'm going to send Currys an email and see what they say regarding getting it fixed, with them footing the bill  😉

2 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I'm going to send Currys an email and see what they say regarding getting it fixed, with them footing the bill  😉

Don't blame you. 3/4 yrs old is not old for a TV that costs £100's

I really Don t like the cost photobucket are charging for third party image hosting which affects all of my guides, photobucket want $300 per year to allow the images to display.

I've deleted my account completely and told them exactly why

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Philf1 said:

I've deleted my account completely and told them exactly why

If I do that I'll lose all my images 

I really don't like the replacement vehicle I've been given for three days while my focus is in the body shop being repaired 😢 my "no claims bonus" hasn't taken a bit but my street credit is in serious negative equity 

20170904_112233.thumb.jpg.e54127d991a82c9f33217ec3358f5988.jpg

First problem is; the door card panels are too thin to rest your elbow on 😦

20170904_114157.thumb.jpg.a50571b00bc6b29ccb0a010116c0d4d5.jpg

20170904_113028.thumb.jpg.075560c1d8d351222fbcff474266d267.jpg

Then there's no centre console armrest to lean on neither 😦

20170904_113259.thumb.jpg.eb759ae6679c8fe866c25d4f00cbe157.jpg

The wing mirrors are the same size as my head 😦

20170904_113238.thumb.jpg.c07e00c12be0591c51487de41f55e3c1.jpg

The front Windows open like a Vauxhall Nova 😦

20170904_113231.thumb.jpg.80cceb6427ac755a9f7174ba66d22af7.jpg

The rear Window heater element connection is on display by design instead of being hidden inside the silage wrap recycled plastic boot door panel 😦

20170904_112940.thumb.jpg.02f9d9e4ad3b49a1f0e256b4ed96ed35.jpg

You can choose to see the world through the headlight lenses as they protrude upwards above the bonnet, the light also illuminates the bonnet at night 😦

20170904_113007.thumb.jpg.3094c4574d350f4cfb6a4626d16e4b1a.jpg

The cup holders have fidget spinners embossed in to them 😦

20170905_072227.thumb.jpg.907535c52cf67723cf34680e185111fd.jpg

They could have put the screw for the door cards underneath the handle where it wouldn't be atall visible rather than a dirt gathering screw cap

20170904_113305.thumb.jpg.053d492f2e7163a9fb074bde93365ba8.jpg

There using chrome dog light surrounds as door handles 😦

20170904_145134.thumb.jpg.05726702e22ec42c84855c27c50fad42.jpg

The painted alloys won't last a hard winter without cracking and flaking 

20170904_114211.thumb.jpg.88c6235315376519b957c6092adc6ce5.jpg

And I had to take the wheels off the sons buggy in order to fit it in the boot compartment 😦

20170904_134054.thumb.jpg.db399877778f3b661fb7804adf5fcab2.jpg