Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Can you get to it with normal spanners and lock 2 together to get enough leverage without over length from a breaker bar?

• Like 1

Not liking the quotes for my car so far... due a major service this year, plus mot, plus timing belt. Current quotes add up at anything from £519 (motorcraft service, motorcraft timing belt, and mot) to £704... I think a little overtime might be due to pay for it all!

(Or just get the guts to do the belt myself... and the service...  :ph34r:)

• Like 1

I don't like that it's hot and sunny outside, ideal weather for doing my rear axle maintenance on the Mk2

However, I've got a report to compile, write and edit for a client with a deadline of 3pm, to get to the pitch for 4:30pm.  The forecast for here tonight when I'm free, is rain, lots of it:sad:

15 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Can you get to it with normal spanners and lock 2 together to get enough leverage without over length from a breaker bar?

That's something to try from underneath, in theory I can miss all the obstacles

11 hours ago, Micro said:

Not liking the quotes for my car so far... due a major service this year, plus mot, plus timing belt. Current quotes add up at anything from £519 (motorcraft service, motorcraft timing belt, and mot) to £704... I think a little overtime might be due to pay for it all!

(Or just get the guts to do the belt myself... and the service...  :ph34r:)

Parts wise it cost me about £170 to do a timing belt (with water pump) major service last week. Gates belts and Ford OE/motorcraft everything else.

• Sad 1

Dropping a special brass bolt down the plughole :oops:ohmy.pngsad.png. After I had said to myself, as I started the job, do not drop anything down that totally inaccessible plughole!:msn-cry:

It was the bolt for the shower control tap, and the U bend was under the sealed in shower tray, on a solid floor, and the next access point was in the main drain :yucky: manhole outside.

Fortunately, I did try a magnet on a sibling bolt, and to my surprise, a strong neodymium iron magnet did just stick, so it was a stainless steel bolt, not plated brass as I thought. And first fish with the magnet on a suitable probe got it back out againsmile.png

But it still took me a while to recover from the   :iim:  mistake.

I had been rather happy with finding that I could still get spares for the ancient Mira 722 control, despite it being in the house when I moved in in 1998, probably installed in the early '90s. £11 for a simple little plastic bush was daylight robbery really, but for the work in changing the shower unit, piped direct into a tiled wall, £11 was cheap. But it all went a bit pear shaped as I put it back together. The bolt dropped as I was putting the cover on, bounced, then hole in one. Straight down the plug.

10 hours ago, GMX said:

it's hot and sunny outside, ideal weather for doing my rear axle maintenance on the Mk2

However, I've got a report to compile, write and edit for a client with a deadline of 3pm, to get to the pitch for 4:30pm.  The forecast for here tonight when I'm free, is rain

I know the feeling.

This time of year, I have a heap of jobs to do on house & car, before Winter. But a load of work rolled in, just when not wanted. I am not a very happy bunny. But nor are my customers, as I am having to give them long delivery dates, well into November. And my prices are pretty well fixed, and limited by what the jobs are worth, plus costs have risen, so it is not like I can make loads of money. In fact, it means I now have to order batches of about 50 pcbs to be built, to make the next 10 or so units, so I will be laying out almost as much cash as I get in. It might be ages, or even never if my customers get too fed up, before I get that money back.

Ah, the joys of self employment!

• Like 1

Laptop has decided to install a major update...I was going to play games to avoid Strictly...

Over 45 minutes so far...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SeanW said:

Laptop has decided to install a major update...I was going to play games to avoid Strictly...

Over 45 minutes so far...

Sounds like Windows 10 Creations. Did my new laptop yesterday, took a couple of hours in total. They seem to have sorted the bugs out now so should be okay.

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Still a terrible OS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Creations is even worse than standard 10. It made a right mess of my last laptop, hence having to buy a new one. It downloaded on to my old laptop last month and left so my conflicts within the system it never ran properly again. Even restoring the system didn't help and it got to the point that it just kept crashing and shutting itself down

My windows update hasn't functioned properly since Jan of this year. I should probably get around to reinstalling it...

I will be dragged kicking and screaming away from Win 7 Ultimate 64.

Why don't these tech companies understand that we wanna use our extremely expensive devices the way WE wanna use them, not the way YOU think we should.

And for the love of all that is sacred, please ensure something actually works properly before shipping it all around the world then forcing us to endure hours of updates because you did a crappy job in the first place. We are customers. Not your beta testers.

Sorry...I...um...seem to have gone off a bit there, haven't I?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Why don't these tech companies understand that we wanna use our extremely expensive devices the way WE wanna use them, not the way YOU think we should.
And for the love of all that is sacred, please ensure something actually works properly before shipping it all around the world then forcing us to endure hours of updates because you did a crappy job in the first place. We are customers. Not your beta testers.

Sorry...I...um...seem to have gone off a bit there, haven't I?

Still better than a Mac though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I really did not like coming home yesterday afternoon after a taxing shift, only to find the TV wasn't working. Had power but no picture and the sound was being carried through the optical cable from the tv to the sound bar, that was working. A quick Google told me it was the 'back light' and a further search told me that it was nearly £1K to fix as the TV (4 yrs old) was now a discontinued model. I only had 60minutes to read up on what was available and pick one up for Argos so it was a mad rush but I got one and my friends put it on the wall for me (thats actually
more of a like that bit)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When you head is going round trying to do a Reverse camera from Genuine to cheap one.........I hate you stupid Fakra connector (and the small black power one)

And this stupid little black power connector thing which i will have to cut and start again.........Dam and another Dam,what is it even called.

When you head is going round trying to do a Reverse camera from Genuine to cheap one.........I hate you stupid Fakra connector (and the small black power one)
And this stupid little black power connector thing which i will have to cut and start again.........Dam and another Dam,what is it even called.

Still giving you grief?

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Still giving you grief?

OOHHH yes,you helped me so much and stuff but i have to change the wires to fit the cheap camera,tried it rough and get a rolling picture so

i know its the camera gone,got to snip 3 wires.../reverse live/ignition live/earth/ from original loom to convert to 2 phono plugs from a little black ford connector,bit scared

as once done its from the main loom no going back.

And then the fun starts......this stupid picture input....yes the word is .........Fakra.........i can think of a better word to call it,i have the Fakra to phono plug.

On 23/09/2017 at 8:35 PM, CyprusPluto said:

Sounds like Windows 10 Creations. Did my new laptop yesterday, took a couple of hours in total. They seem to have sorted the bugs out now so should be okay.

That's the badger!!

Today I survived the DRIU* with a stinking cold!

(*Damage Repair Instructional Unit - damaged ship simulator...great fun, when you're not full of man-flu lol)

Tomorrow, I get to be drowned again before being gassed and grilled on Wednesday, followed by more grilling on Thursday & Friday.

...the joys of Basic Sea Survival...

(Not sure how much of this is a like though lol)

20 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

You and me both, although mine has developed a fault! :wink: MS seems to think it's a dodgy copy and keeps asking for a serial number to validate it. I can get plenty of Win 7 serial numbers of old laptops etc but no Ultimate codes :rolleyes:

Phil hit the nail on the head with his earlier post about "the way we want to use them"

With the new laptop I bought, I also got a copy of Microsoft Office Home 2016 with Excel, Word etc., because it was on offer. On the laptop there was a trial version of the software. What have they done to Excel; there is no logic to it's layout and it's on screen vision is disgusting. It looks like it's been designed by a 14 year old who had too much time on his hands and couldn't stop adding bits and pieces of nonsense - which it probably was! Suffice it to say the new software is stuck in a cupboard,, unused and is where it will stay; I'll carry on using my Office 2007. Maybe it's me not liking change, but I think the old version is much better

12 hours ago, CyprusPluto said:

Phil hit the nail on the head with his earlier post about "the way we want to use them"

With the new laptop I bought, I also got a copy of Microsoft Office Home 2016 with Excel, Word etc., because it was on offer. On the laptop there was a trial version of the software. What have they done to Excel; there is no logic to it's layout and it's on screen vision is disgusting. It looks like it's been designed by a 14 year old who had too much time on his hands and couldn't stop adding bits and pieces of nonsense - which it probably was! Suffice it to say the new software is stuck in a cupboard,, unused and is where it will stay; I'll carry on using my Office 2007. Maybe it's me not liking change, but I think the old version is much better

I think it is a bit of resistance to change - I guess I have that too but not without reason. It's the same reason I didn't want to change to Vista and it'll keep me stubbornly writing device drivers for any new computers I acquire whose chipsets won't support Win7

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

You and me both, although mine has developed a fault! :wink: MS seems to think it's a dodgy copy and keeps asking for a serial number to validate it. I can get plenty of Win 7 serial numbers of old laptops etc but no Ultimate codes :rolleyes:

I have pm'd you regarding a somewhat related matter.

I don't like the red Vauxhall combo that we were all stuck behind on the narrower part of A35 in Parkstone.:sad:

Who seemed to be in a world of his own, with his random stopping for no apparent reason, straddling both carriageways and then seeing how slow he could go, when there was non-stop oncoming traffic!    What should've been a 20 minute drive to Machine Mart, in fact took 45 minutes, 35 of which was the 3 mile sloth crawl between Ashley Cross and central Parkstone itself!

1 hour ago, GMX said:

I don't like the red Vauxhall combo that we were all stuck behind on the narrower part of A35 in Parkstone.:sad:

Who seemed to be in a world of his own, with his random stopping for no apparent reason, straddling both carriageways and then seeing how slow he could go, when there was non-stop oncoming traffic!    What should've been a 20 minute drive to Machine Mart, in fact took 45 minutes, 35 of which was the 3 mile sloth crawl between Ashley Cross and central Parkstone itself!

There should be a law allowing you to continually honk at people like this until they get out of your way.

• Like 1

My wife tooting the horn outside our house so I will go out and reverse her car into a gap the space shuttle could land on......people who deliberately park there motor over the white line taking up 2 spaces for their 'precious' 😂

In fact wen u get to my age pretty much everything annoys u 😤

• Like 4

Mobility scooters! Or more precisely, the drivers driving on a busy road when there's a clear, wide, pedestrian free pavement next to the road! 

Now I really hope it's a long time before I need one and what I've said probably sounds very un-PC but it can get very frustrating dawdling along at 5mph with no opportunity to overtake when there's a perfectly safe pavement there. 

One I saw today, scooter going down road towards Tesco, has to drive over pedestrian crossing to get to Tesco junction and wait for oncoming traffic to clear before entering. However, if she had used the crossing to cross the road, she could get to the shop quicker and safer! 

Grumpy rant over! 

When you talk to a person on Facebook from your school days and class,only sent a few messages as only found him a few months ago.

Then you hear he has passed away and he was going through hard times,really put things into prospective and look at things,only 47 area.

I don't like that the nights have started to rapidly draw in:sad:  The sun actually set when I was only halfway across the lawn! :ohmy: Last week's mow was at the same time but the sun stayed up until I'd finished. 

I also trod in one of Pipper's concealed squidgier deposits as I mowed in the twilight:sad:

Still in the garden, I don't like that late blight (although later than usual) is sweeping through both the tomato and potato beds.:sad:  Admittedly, it's been such a poor season for tomatoes, it can't really make the abysmal harvest any worse. This time last year (a normal tomato year) I'd picked around 55 kilos over the cropping season between 12 plants.  This year, I've yet to even produce one kilo, from 10 plants.  There were 12 plants at the beginning; but the combined tactical forces of slugs, snails and loopers wiped 2 of them out in August!:ohmy:

The potatoes however could do without blight, just as their haulms are dying back!

Facebook keeps asking me via text message if I know people I've never heard of, since setting up Pipper's account. :laugh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club