Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like acupuncture, it feels ok at the time but after I got home the area started to tingle and now it is a deep burning sensation. I also don't like getting told my 'options' regarding my back pain which has now been put down to a stable fracture at L1 and also a prolapsed disc at the same locus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I don't like acupuncture, it feels ok at the time but after I got home the area started to tingle and now it is a deep burning sensation. I also don't like getting told my 'options' regarding my back pain which has now been put down to a stable fracture at L1 and also a prolapsed disc at the same locus.

I sympathise with you, as I'd lived with sciatica on & off for 30 years. It fortunately finished 3 years ago after emergency spinal surgery to remove L4/L5 disc. Still have some discomfort due to the very common NHS 'significant scar tissue' issue but at least I'm mobile. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

How many people actually use a teapot nowadays?

I do! I make a thermos of tea everyday for breaktimes at work. 😉

• Like 1

I really dislike it when people abbreviate words and get it wrong. The worst one for me is et cetera being abbreviated to "ect" instead of 'etc' I know it's small fries but it does bug me haha.

Another dislike along the same lines is people's inability or laziness when it comes to reading back what they have written before it is posted\sent. Autocorrect has a nasty way of changing what we want to say ☹️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I really dislike it when people abbreviate words and get it wrong. The worst one for me is et cetera being abbreviated to "ect" instead of 'etc' I know it's small fries but it does bug me haha.

Another dislike along the same lines is people's inability or laziness when it comes to reading back what they have written before it is posted\sent. Autocorrect has a nasty way of changing what we want to say ☹️

Spelling and grammar nowadays is atrocious! 😌😟

• Like 1

In a similar vein to Jonro, inappropriate use of a apostrophes really boils my p**s! 

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Autocorrect has a nasty way of changing what we want to say

Someone I know had just started a new job, and wrote to all his old customers, trying to impress them. He was telling them all about his new companies' (sorry Turvey!) ability to build big, expensive "Turnkey Projects". But his spell checker changed it to "Turkey projects", and he did not read it ect, ect (sorry, Jonro!), and sent it out like that.:iim:

I do not think he found it amusing, in fact he did not much like it at all. But I am afraid to say, I find it :lol1:laugh.png.

One of the best typos I have read on this site, is someone was trying to fix a nasty little problem with the airbag warning light, and he said he was praying with contact cleaner under the seats. I immediately answered with something like:

"Contact cleaner rarely has much long term, or even any, success. You may well be better off with Praying!"

-------------

I know that typing on a phone can be hard work. But when making technical posts on the open internet, bad speling and no infatuation is abitofadisster (btw, the site spell checker tunred puntuation into infatuation. How, I do not know!)

• Like 3

Someone I know had just started a new job, and wrote to all his old customers, trying to impress them. He was telling them all about his new companies' (sorry Turvey!) ability to build big, expensive "Turnkey Projects". But his spell checker changed it to "Turkey projects", and he did not read it ect, ect (sorry, Jonro!), and sent it out like that.:iim:
I do not think he found it amusing, in fact he did not much like it at all. But I am afraid to say, I find it :lol1:laugh.png.
One of the best typos I have read on this site, is someone was trying to fix a nasty little problem with the airbag warning light, and he said he was praying with contact cleaner under the seats. I immediately answered with something like:
"Contact cleaner rarely has much long term, or even any, success. You may well be better off with Praying!"
-------------
I know that typing on a phone can be hard work. But when making technical posts on the open internet, bad speling and no infatuation is abitofadisster (btw, the site spell checker tunred puntuation into infatuation. How, I do not know!)

I didn't even know the site had a spell checker. Now I see what you did with your clever conscious spelling/grammar errors but I can't help but wonder if the last 3 are intentional, I don't think they are lol.

*abitofadisster, puntuation and tunred*
*a bit of a disaster, punctuation and turned*

[emoji16][emoji87]

• Like 1

On the same tracks as my previous annoyance are a quick note of the things that annoyed me in my seconded role.
Questionable personal email addresses on job applications - it is free and quick to set up a more professional address.
Text talk in professional emails is a complete 'NO NO' for me
Kisses on the end of work correspondence, because it's "habit"

31 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

wonder if the last 3 are intentional, I don't think they are lol.

Two were semi-intentional, I just typed quickly, and left what came out. Quite often what I first type is a load of gobbledygook. (Had to use the spell checker on that one!), and it takes quite a lot of editing to get rid of most of the wavy red lines. Though I am not 100% sure whether the red lines are site dependent, or built in to my browser.

But sometimes, like with aluminium, I insist that my spelling is right, despite it wants to change it to aluminum. Bloomin' Yankee spelling! That does irritate me a bit. And tyres, and programme, etc.

Then I have to read it a couple of times (:yawn:), and even then resort to the Edit button quite often. And then it falls on deaf ears, all too often. Ah, well, we can but try.

Text talk can be dodgy: Take IIRC (please, take it away!), it can be "If I recall correctly", or "If I really care". Two very different meanings, that could easily upset someone. It may be ok between friends, but like you say, not on work related or openly published stuff.

• Like 2

I am the same, I tend to type quickly and the keys I tap on the iPad do not seem to be the letters that show up on the screen, I blame the calibration. I always go over what I have written and like you I sometimes miss the most obvious errors. What winds me up is taking the time to answer someone who then doesn't even acknowledge what you have said but I think that falls under bad manners. Don't get me started on Americanisms and their phonetic spelling! I do like a good acronym tbh [emoji6] probably because in my job they are a lifesaver, in my personal notes. It's not just acronyms that can be taken in the wrong way, I often find it difficult to judge tone and sincerity in text. For example I hate it when someone uses my name in a sentence other than when saying hello, whereas my friend loves it as she feels it is more personal. Text is subjective but facial expressions are pretty clear.

Spelling and grammar nowadays is atrocious! [emoji18][emoji45]

Shouldn't that be "ARE atrocious"? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For example I hate it when someone uses my name in a sentence other than when saying hello, whereas my friend loves it as she feels it is more personal. Text is subjective but facial expressions are pretty clear.

Yeah if someone does this in a spoken conversation it comes across as though they are being a little dogmatic or condescending in what they are saying. As you say it is hard to judge tone in text so it can often be misconstrued.

EDIT. dang. I broke the quote...

EDIT THE SECOND. Argh! Why is it in italics?! I didn't do that!!!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Shouldn't that be "ARE atrocious"? emoji6.png

Hoisted by my own petard? 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Shouldn't that be "ARE atrocious"?

18 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Hoisted by my own petard?

Kevin, you could try getting away with it by saying you meant "spelling & grammar" as one item,

Like: "English Language and Literature is my worst subject", (one subject at A level & Uni)

Or "Sausages and Mash is my favorite dinner"

Bit feeble perhaps, but worth a try :laugh:.

(My keyboard put "spelleing & grammer" on the screen as I typed, I did have to correct it!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Kevin, you could try getting away with it by saying you meant "spelling & grammar" as one item,

Like: "English Language and Literature is my worst subject", (one subject at A level & Uni)

Bit feeble perhaps, but worth a try :laugh:

That thought did cross my mind but it would start getting too technical for me so I thought it easier to just admit I was wrong 😁

FYI 'favourite' is how it is usually spelt here 😉😁 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Turvey said:

'favourite' is how it is usually spelt here

I get red lines from my spell checker if I put favourite, and it wants to change it to favoritism! (Or favorite). I did notice that one, just after pressing Submit.

That is another term I do not much like. Especially on official sites like HMRC. You fill in your return or something, then in HUGE letters, it says SUBMIT. It makes me feel very inferior, duly submitting to these bureaucratic officials.sad.png:whip::laugh:

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Change if if to if I !!!!
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Bit feeble perhaps, but worth a try :laugh:.

(My keyboard put "spelleing & grammer" on the screen as I typed, I did have to correct it!)

This is less definable really as it depends on the context and how widely accepted the duo of items is (or are!). 

"Sausages and mash is" sounds odd because you have a plural within the phrase. "Sausage and mash is" seems to sound better as both subjects are singular and also the phrase is more recognisable as a single item.

If anyone wants to discuss the difference between a monologue and a soliloquy next just reply =D.

Ah, Mrs. Donkersley would be so proud if she could see me now!

• Like 1

I don't like where this thread is going. Grammar! Punctuation! Abbreviations! FFS get a life lol.
Now to a proper I don't like.
On the way to a caravan park near Skegness my princess granddaughter was sick in the car. Poor mite. Poor our noses after we sorted her and the car seat out.

• Like 2

Skegness has that effect on people. I should know I lived there for many years...

• Like 1

Wasn't Southview by any chance?

It was on the way to Ingoldmells about 25 mins away.

Ah that's out the other side of skeg on roman bank... most locals call it skeg Vegas these days!

• Like 1

I don't like ignorant people. People who don't acknowledge you when you have given way to them or waited at a row of parked cars for them to come through. I know if the parked cars are on your side then the oncoming vehicle has right of way but is it really that difficult to give a little wave? It's just manners really.

However what I really dislike is that about 40% of the time my wife is one of the above, and it makes me feel embarrassed when she doesn't wave. Most of the time I find myself waving on her behalf, caused an argument many a time doing that.

• Like 5