Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt6 Gearbox Selector Removal

Rocco

Chaps

Does anyone know whether it's possible to remove the selector unit from the top of the MMT6 gearbox while it's still in the car (MK4, 2.0 TDCI 140hp) and get it back in again without having to remove the entire gearbox?

I only want to see if one of the selector forks has bust without having to go through the entire removal process.

Anyone ever done it?

Cheers

I would think the limited space would see you need to remove it, it at least everything around it...

If it's difficulty engaging gears it could be just the cables that need adjusting/ replacing,

I just checked Haynes and it mentions nothing of it so I really don't know if it's something you want to tackle?

• Like 1

easy enough to do, battery and battery box out, transmission mounting plate off,( 4 nuts), then cables disconnected, 4 bolts holding selector mechanism to box, then out (make sure its in neutral before removing)

• Like 1

It's difficult (well, impossible) to engage 5th gear only. It could be the cable but I've mentioned in another thread that I had strange noises from the box when selecting 5th gear ealier this year - now it's missing in action.

I don't really "want" to tackle it, that's true enough but 5th gear is fairly useful on a 20 mile trip to work sitting at around 50mph for the majority of the way. I saw that someone on eBay is selling just the selector unit so I wondered about removing it, as this carries the fork that I suspect of being broken. If it'll come out and go back in reasonably easily then I think it's worth having a crack at it.

Cheers all, appreciate the input very much. :)

To add - I went to look at an old Zafira at the weekend in anticipation of having to replace the gearbox and having my car off the road for a few weeks. If I can avoid having to buy that POS, I'll be a happy chap.

• Like 1

The fork is not part of the mechanism on the top of box, it only operates the fork, too change fork then its box out and strip

• Like 1

The fork is not part of the mechanism on the top of box, it only operates the fork, too change fork then its box out and strip

Ah ok, thanks. Then there is probably not much point removing this unit on it's own. Thanks for that.

Anyone know a compatibility chart for gearbox interchangability? I wonder if a later MK4.5 model box will fit my QXBA engine for example?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club