Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Alternator

jynxy

Focus 2005, 1.8 Tdci

Hi all, ok well I have half the car apart :(

But I cannot get the alternator off, I have undone the 3 bolts and the bottom mounting bolt,

I have managed to get a spanner on the top bolt once, but it was that tight the spanner eventually slipped off, I just cannot get the access to get a socket in.

How do you get this thing off, why didn't they put the bolts the other side, grrrrr.

Please help

Thanks

Have you unbolted the aircon compressor?

Edit, oops my bad - details were there but I missed them lol

yes aircon is off, its just the top, someone has mentioned removing about 90% of the front of the car, as in rad etc, could be fun.

oh well here it goes.

I can't think of what bolt you mean, I replaced the alternator on a 1.8tdci mk2 in less than an hour. Didn't remove any of what you mention

Know the bolt your talking about, it is in a restricted access, have you got a cranked angle spanner? Been a long time since ive done one so cant remember what I used,

If memory serves, there's only 3 bolts holding it on, (at least on the facelift 1.8)

I used a sliding tee-bar for one of the bolts - it was smaller than the socket wrench I had been using, allowing access without disassembling/damaging the brake lines.

Got any photos to illustrate the problem?

• Like 1

If memory serves, there's only 3 bolts holding it on, (at least on the facelift 1.8)

I used a sliding tee-bar for one of the bolts - it was smaller than the socket wrench I had been using, allowing access without disassembling/damaging the brake lines.

Got any photos to illustrate the problem?

It was a pre facelift 1.8 2005 (55 plate) that I changed without any fancy tools so presumably the same setup.

A photo would be helpful to jog someones mind

post-59356-0-66771100-1424891903_thumb.j

think he having difficulty removing the top bolt holding alternator

Hi, managed to drop the rad down enough to get a ratchet in, why they didnt have it the other way ill never know.

Just have to put it all back again tomorrow. once i find the correct part, the one i have i think is the 105 amp i need 120 amp

can i use 150 amp ?

Thanks guys

Purely on maximum output rating you can use a higher rated alternator as it will only supply what is required by the ECU etc. It also means it isn't having to work as hard as a lower rated alternator because it has excess capacity.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club