Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci Fuel Economy

tanner88

anyone else getting bad fuel economy? filled up tank for £60 with bp ultimate diesel. says 289 miles on digital screen? surely i should get more than that

also is there anyway of resetting the digital fuel metre? like a full reset not just reset the trip.

cheers

depends where you drive most, town or motorway? i get around 520 miles on the digital reader after a fill up, but i do mostly motorway miles

if youve recently reset the battery or something then the range is calculated off your average MPG, so if your average mpg is low for some reason it will be reflected on the range

Just checked my average mpg it says 29mpg. I suppose it's because I have a cone airfilter fitted with cold air feed lol.

Do you think my mpg would improve quite a bit with an economy remap?

Hi

I have a 1.8 tdci focus , you should be getting around 40-45mpg , that's what I got before i got mine mapped , now am averaging 50-53. When was your last service?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I'm getting 50 mpg at the moment, which rises to 55 mpg when they switch to summer diesel. I do a mix of town and motorway driving.

A common cause of high fuel consumption is a fault with the meat control unit, located between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. Only seems to be a problem when my missus is driving.

• Like 3

New fuel filter ?

I haven't done this myself as Ive read people have had issues with bad performance after doing it themselves? Is it an easy job?if so ill get it from eurocarparts and get it sorted.

A new fuel filter on a diesel at least every year is a must do ! :)

• Like 1

A new fuel filter on a diesel at least every year is a must do ! :)

Totally agree, one of the very small handful of problems you get on the 1.8 is dirty fuel filters.

Even though replacing it isn't part of the yearly service I always get mine done.

Karl to get an accurate reading on the average and distance just before you fill up reset the average mpg average speed and your trip metre on a run on normal roads say from chester to Pembroke I can average around 48 done over 500 on a tank before now if you don't reset the computer before fill ups it confuses it I filled up once and was telling me I only had a forty mile range cos it didn't regonise I had filled up .on what I'm doing a week I get on average 154 on 20 quids worth mixture of dual carriage and town driving .

As for the fuel filter easy job to replace but what I found handy to back prime the the filter and the line to the pump is a small syringe that you get with the printer cartridge refill packs

Top the filter up after putting it in put cap and seal on then top up again throug the nipple on top then before you put the pump to filter line back on prime that as well .once car is started don't Rev it leave it to tick over for a few mins and you should be ok .oh and mines after market and I've had no issues with it at all .

thanks for replies. Just thought id mention, I had to disconnect the maf sensor as was getting poor performance after installing cone filter, eml is on but performance is so much better! is it worth trying to clean this and reconnect it to see if mpg improves?

If your MPG has increased after disconnecting the MAF, I'd definitely recommend cleaning it.

You can pick up some air sensor cleaner on eBay quite cheaply. Did this myself.

quick update, took out the maf sensor and cleaned it with some electrical spray cleaner from Halfords, good stuff to be honest.

While i was doing this i put the blanking plate in for the egr on.

A short drive and the power is there and the eml also went off :)

• Like 1

Also, ive read alot about people removing the backbox on a tdci as it sounds much better and allows turbo to spool faster? If so, is it just a case of removing a few bolts?

• 1 year later...

you should be seeing 40 mpg minimum, the 29 mpg you say you get is what the petrol model should achieve according to the written stats

cheers

On 25/02/2015 at 8:33 PM, tanner88 said:

average mpg it says 29mpg

That is shocking:ohmy:

In summer I get over 50mpg measured brim to brim, and that is with no motorway, little dual carriageway, and almost 50% of my mileage with a heavy trailer!

In winter it drops to about 47mpg (same conditions).

I would not trust any of the in car systems, based on dodgy tank sensors and wild guesswork. I fill to full, record the mileage, reset the trip milometer, and keep the receipts (as some of my mileage is business, I have to anyway). That gives accurate averages between refills.

Less that 45mpg is either a lot of short, urban journeys, or something is not right!

Re Fuel filters: Changing it is easy, getting the air out of the system and getting the car restarted is harder. First time I did it, it took two stressful days to get it re-started. Just re-done the job, it started on the second go, just a couple of seconds of cranking. I am planning to write up what I did differently, when I get the time!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club