Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blanked Egr, Now Eml Is On 18,000 Miles Later

karlos the jackal

As topic, about 18k miles ago I blanked the EGR on my 1.8 TDCI and it's run fine with no problems until this week when the EML came on.

The fault code is P0490 'EGR Control Circuit High'. From what I've read on the forum an engine light on the 1.8 engine after blanking the EGR is unheard of.

I've reset it and taken it for a run around the block and it hasn't come back on but should is it likely to come back? Should I remove the blank?

Is the blank solid ? i.e. no holes in it ?

The error code just needs resetting if it pops up, no damage will be caused to the car.

There's no point in having a blank with a hole because technically you won't then be blanking the egr, merely reducing the flow which kind of defeats the whole idea.

ive run mine with almost 40k now and no EML since. use a solid plate with no holes if you have one with holes in it

i havent actually seen the EML on this car since ownership. i know the bulb is there because it lights up in the dash test mode :D

Don't remove the blank ( if it's solid ) if it isn't solid, replace with one that is.

• Like 1

I've run my 1.8 with a solid plate for about 9k with no errors either.

• Like 1

I completely removed the euro 3 E.G.R.V on my 05 plate Mondeo ST TDCi & never saw the E.M.L. & the car drove like a dream.

• Like 1

Tbh blanking the egr is a no brainer.

An engine needs cold clean air to run properly and some eurotwit designs something that pumps in hot dirty air.

Counter-intuitive in my books.

• Like 2

E.G.R.V.'s are purely E.U. emission control , as are D.P.F.'s - both are diesel engine killers.

I have to ask does mine have an egr I presume it does 2.0 tdci

if I remove it what will happen will it gain power and fuel efficiency?

I have to ask does mine have an egr I presume it does 2.0 tdci

if I remove it what will happen will it gain power and fuel efficiency?

on the 2.0 tdci you will get a EML

Yes, your diesel will have an E.G.R.V. & I'm not sure you can bypass your version, but you can blank it, which is one of the cheapest, simplest & kindest mod's you can do to your car's engine.

• Like 1

E.G.R.V.'s are purely E.U. emission control , as are D.P.F.'s - both are diesel engine killers.

Unfortunately un-emission-controlled diesel engines are also human killers. Diesels have always been dirty engines and however much stuff is bolted on they will never be really clean. Even the awful DPF doesn't completely remove particulates which are so small that, once in the lungs, they get into the bloodstream and the EGR doesn't reduce the nitrous oxides that are causing such problems in urban areas. Attempts to clean them up are simply hobbling their performance and adding to both the initial and running costs and so reducing the benefits compared to petrol. Also, of course, deleting these components simply increases these harmful emissions.

I know petrol engines are far from perfect but their emissions are less harmful to heath and a lot simpler to control. I've been driving a diesel Focus for the last five years. It's the first I've owned and I will freely admit that I find it a much nicer drive than my newer petrol Focus but I won't be buying another diesel.

• Like 1

The error code just needs resetting if it pops up, no damage will be caused to the car.

There's no point in having a blank with a hole because technically you won't then be blanking the egr, merely reducing the flow which kind of defeats the whole idea.

Ok thanks, I drove 40 miles to work and back today and the light hasn't come back on. The plate is stainless steel with no holes so it's still a mystery as to why the light came on. I'll probably have a closer look this weekend and make sure everything is tight and nothing is leaking.

You may get the occasional code flash up but it's perfectly safe to clear it and carry on (unless it becomes a daily thing).

Hi all.

New to all this so please forgive me. I've just got a 2011 focus 2.0 tdci. Can this be done to my car? Will I see any problems in the future with this model? I only ask because I've seen the odd post about an electronic egr and always showing the error. Dose this apply to my model?

It will most likely throw up an ELM on the 2.0 tdci, since it is a french engine. The 1.8 has an older system and will not complain about it, since its made by ford.

the 1.6 should be alright too, alot of users here have blanked their cars, with no issues

• Like 2

That's a Shame. I'd quite like to have done that but won't if it means a permanent error.

Simply buy a code reader and delete the fault code on a regular basis & enjoy the many benefits of a blanked E.G.R.V.

Yeah may be worth looking into. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

It will most likely throw up an ELM on the 2.0 tdci, since it is a french engine. The 1.8 has an older system and will not complain about it, since its made by ford.

the 1.6 should be alright too, alot of users here have blanked their cars, with no issues

good to know just about to buy blanking plate for 05 c-max

thanks for link james yes have that engine

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club