Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You might find you're alright with a manual if it had a hydraulic clutch, Jamie?  Doesn't even have to be 'modern', lots of older cars use them, Peugeot cable clutches are always heavy unfortunately.  Is there also a return spring on the 405 clutch pedal?  They stiffen up on the 306s so most of us just remove them nowadays, takes 5 seconds with a flat blade screwdriver.

One of my mates was trying to sell a near-mint ZX 1.9DT for months, it was the cleanest one I'd seen for years but no-one wanted it!

The heaviness of the cable-clutch in the 405 doesn't help, but even driving the Focus with its light hydraulic clutch still aggrivates my leg pain, simply due to the movement.  If I can put my left leg in one position and leave it there then it is pain-free, or as close as I can get, but moving it causes the problem. 

Besides that, unless you are driving in a spirited fashion, having a manual is more fuss than it is worth in my opinion.  I'd far rather just let the transmission deal with gear changes whilst I can relax and enjoy the drive.  Plus it means the 405 can become a weekend car, therefore cutting down on the wear and tear of a 20 year old French car, for which parts are becoming more and more rare.  At the moment it is doing almost 1,000 miles per month, which the engine has no problem with obviously (and returns over 50MPG which I love!), but that kind of mileage is taking it's toll on everything else, not least of which the rear axle.

A 406 coupe has good character, very rare and will not class it as modern anymore.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

A 406 coupe has good character, very rare and will not class it as modern anymore.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Indeed, and there is one of those for sale locally, but it is on the top-end of my budget and not really what I'm looking for.  Had it been slightly cheaper I'd be interested, but really I'm looking for a large saloon or estate anyway.  We'll see what happens, I'm keeping my eye on Gumtree and will see what comes up over the next couple of weeks.

I do like that at lunchtime on Friday I'll have my new Fiesta ST-Line. been a long 8-9 weeks! (and this week is feeling even longer)

Can't Wait!!! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I do like finally concluding my close to 3 day audit:smile:, although I still haven't found the root of anomaly number 2, but I did find anomaly number 1's cause way back in early 2005 and the omitted transaction that caused it:smile:. Which I had, following several earlier audits given up hope of ever finding it.

Anomaly No.2 remains a mystery:unsure:

I also like entering the third week of my diet and yesterday finding during my weekly measurement taking, I'm down by another 0.3% body fat,  3.4lbs in weight, and my girth has lessened by 12mm again.:smile:  So far, I've reduced by 0.7% body fat, 11lbs weight and 24.5mm in girth.

• Like 1

I do like a nice drive to Tain this afternoon to view a Mercedes C220 Diesel as a prospective purchase to fulfil my need/desire for an automatic.  I haven't committed myself to it, and there is another viewer tonight - so I'll leave it in God's hands and if that person doesn't take it, I'll snap it up.  If they do, I'll hold off for now as I do really want a Volvo, but the Mercedes is definitely a well built vehicle.

• Like 2

I do like instant(ish) karma. Had a Big Money Waste cut me up only for someone else to do the same to him down the road. 

• Like 1

I do like having sorted my butt water out.:smile:  I missed capturing quite a bit of the recent near torrential rain as I hadn't pumped the butt water to the plunging tanks.  I now have three empty butts and three full plunging tanks:smile:

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

but the Mercedes is definitely a well built vehicle.

They certainly are, a mate of mine has a 1979 300TD (W123) estate as his daily driver, he's had it since 1986, I think he's approaching ½ million miles on the odometer, still on the original engine, and scarcely any body corrosion

2 minutes ago, GMX said:

I do like having sorted my butt water out.:smile:  I missed capturing quite a bit of the recent near torrential rain as I hadn't pumped the butt water to the plunging tanks.  I now have three empty butts and three full plunging tanks:smile:

They certainly are, a mate of mine has a 1979 300TD (W123) estate as his daily driver, he's had it since 1986, I think he's approaching ½ million miles on the odometer, still on the original engine, and scarcely any body corrosion

I'd kill for one of those!  The W202 is a nice looking car, but the W123 is a true classic.

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I do like a nice drive to Tain this afternoon to view a Mercedes C220 Diesel as a prospective purchase to fulfil my need/desire for an automatic. 

I like Tain, nice wee place. First time we stopped there a few years ago Mrs Turvey was needing a 'comfort break' so we stopped and asked a woman if she could direct us to the nearest public convenience. She gave us directions and then said that if they were closed we were welcome to go to her house! She then gave us directions to her house and told us it would be open and just help ourselves!!! :surprise:

Good luck with your purchase :wink3:

Just now, Turvey said:

I like Tain, nice wee place. First time we stopped there a few years ago Mrs Turvey was needing a 'comfort break' so we stopped and asked a woman if she could direct us to the nearest public convenience. She gave us directions and then said that if they were closed we were welcome to go to her house! She then gave us directions to her house and told us it would be open and just help ourselves!!! :surprise:

Good luck with your purchase :wink3:

It's the first time I've been there, never been past Dingwall before actually! 

Wow...  I'm from a small village so I am used to the "doors open" attitude, but to advertise it to a stranger is a bit trusting!!

I should find out later tonight if the other party bought it or not.  I like the car so hope they didn't, but if they did then I'm sure I'll see something else in the next week or two. 

One thing that's for sure is that I need to get myself a pair of ramps and do an oil change on the 405 at the end of this month, or pay a garage to do it.  I've had so much on my mind lately that it didn't even occur to me, and having checked the odometer today I realised that it has done almost 7,000 miles since the last one! :ohmy:  For a 3,000 mile oil change stickler like me, that's abominable.

19 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

It's the first time I've been there, never been past Dingwall before actually! 

Did you manage to get through the Cromarty Bridge passport control OK? :laugh:

Know what you mean about 'open doors policy' up here we, as a community, usually leave doors open, although  it's getting nearer to the time when doors will have to be locked the whole time! :sad: :angry:

4 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Did you manage to get through the Cromarty Bridge passport control OK? :laugh:

Know what you mean about 'open doors policy' up here we, as a community, usually leave doors open, although  it's getting nearer to the time when doors will have to be locked the whole time! :sad: :angry:

Not sure what you mean? :unsure:

Yeah, I lock the door if I'm not going out for a while or it is getting dark outside, but my mother insists on locking and bolting the door ALL THE TIME, which irritates the crap out of me when I come in to grab something then go to leave again and find myself locked in!!

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

Not sure what you mean? :unsure:

Just a joke :wink3: we reckon anything north of Inverness is a different way of life therefore must be a different country hence the passport joke. We often joke about needing a passport to go to one of the outer islands or Shetland...........although in Shetland's case it's a different world let alone a different country!!! :laugh:

9 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Just a joke :wink3: we reckon anything north of Inverness is a different way of life therefore must be a different country hence the passport joke. We often joke about needing a passport to go to one of the outer islands or Shetland...........although in Shetland's case it's a different world let alone a different country!!! :laugh:

Ah, I see!  Yeah, it's funny how attitudes and lifestyles change between areas.  I like the slower way of life though, cities just bring out all my anxieties and make me stressed, not driving through them (no problems there!), but just in general. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Ah, I see!  Yeah, it's funny how attitudes and lifestyles change between areas.  I like the slower way of life though, cities just bring out all my anxieties and make me stressed, not driving through them (no problems there!), but just in general. 

I know what you mean. We, Mrs T and me, like JOINING the ratrace a few times a year. Whether it's Inverness for some retail therapy or Glasgow for gigs etc it's fine to get away but it's also good to get back home :wink3: I have now refused to drive to Glasgow! Too much hassle getting there and when you do get there it's a b****y nightmare getting around and finding somewhere to park!

Must admit we like the Inverness area and have spoken about possibly retiring down there, but that's a few years away yet.

And on that note.....

I like the fact that I'm on holiday now til Tuesday and we're off to Inverness tomorrow morning :yahoo: First trip away in the new car so will be interesting to see how it compares with the Focus :driving:

11 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I know what you mean. We, Mrs T and me, like JOINING the ratrace a few times a year. Whether it's Inverness for some retail therapy or Glasgow for gigs etc it's fine to get away but it's also good to get back home :wink3: I have now refused to drive to Glasgow! Too much hassle getting there and when you do get there it's a b****y nightmare getting around and finding somewhere to park!

Must admit we like the Inverness area and have spoken about possibly retiring down there, but that's a few years away yet.

And on that note.....

I like the fact that I'm on holiday now til Tuesday and we're off to Inverness tomorrow morning :yahoo: First trip away in the new car so will be interesting to see how it compares with the Focus :driving:

If you want a quiet area to retire to then there are plenty of places near Inverness.  Lossiemouth is nice and has desirable areas, plus property prices are fairly low.

What's the new car?

I do like just receiving word back that the other prospective buyer didn't show, and the C220 is now mine...  Well, it will be when I get paid and can collect it next Thursday.

We've never owned a Mercedes before, but have had most other brands, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.  I'm hoping the claims of "German reliability" are true.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

If you want a quiet area to retire to then there are plenty of places near Inverness.  Lossiemouth is nice and has desirable areas, plus property prices are fairly low.

What's the new car?

Somewhere on the 'Nairn Riviera' would be nice I think, lots of bonny wee villages.............with bonny wee pubs :wine:

New car is a '10 plate Nissan Qashqai 1.6 diesel. So far quite impressed with it, managing nearly 40 to the gallon just puttering around town. Will be interesting to see what it does on a longer run tomorrow. Still got the Focus though, I use it for getting to work etc

6 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I do like just receiving word back that the other prospective buyer didn't show, and the C220 is now mine...  Well, it will be when I get paid and can collect it next Thursday.

We've never owned a Mercedes before, but have had most other brands, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.  I'm hoping the claims of "German reliability" are true.

Congrats on the new motor, from what I know Mercs are built like tanks :tank: so should last you years :thumbup:

I must apologise for excessive use of Emos, but I've just discovered the 'Additional Emotions' button!!!

• Like 1

I do like the overall freshness in air during Brandy's evening walk. :smile: The wind has swung round 180° from south to north bringing about an autumnal air to the evening.

I also like finding another 9 squashes hidden in hedge, where the squash plants had grown through it.

4 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

For a 3,000 mile oil change stickler like me, that's abominable.

It's some time since I had 3000 miles between oil changes.  The Mk1 last change was 480 miles after it's previous one, six months before.  Whereas the Mk2 managed 562 miles between it's oil change, again 6 months before the last.

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

It's the first time I've heard of Inverness being spoken of as "down there", down here "it's way way way way up there":laugh:

• Like 1

Don't know what happened there! :blink:

Yeah, down there to most folk will sound wrong I suppose. Boat leaves at 0745 for an hours crossing and then a 120 odd mile jaunt. Fuel and cuppa stop in Wick and maybe a stop for a look around a charity shop in Brora. Last time we were there we spoke to a woman who worked there who was born and brought up on the island I lived on.Small world.

10 hours ago, Turvey said:

Somewhere on the 'Nairn Riviera' would be nice I think, lots of bonny wee villages.............with bonny wee pubs :wine:

New car is a '10 plate Nissan Qashqai 1.6 diesel. So far quite impressed with it, managing nearly 40 to the gallon just puttering around town. Will be interesting to see what it does on a longer run tomorrow. Still got the Focus though, I use it for getting to work etc

Congrats on the new motor, from what I know Mercs are built like tanks :tank: so should last you years :thumbup:

I must apologise for excessive use of Emos, but I've just discovered the 'Additional Emotions' button!!!

Haha!!  I've always been a bit unsure about Nairn itself, but there are nice villages surrounding it.

I've never driven a Quasqai but have seen a lot of them on the roads, and not many broken down which is good!  I'm surprised at the MPG though for such a small engine, as my 1.9 gets at least 45 through towns and upwards of 50 on long runs.  That's not a modern engine either!!

Yeah, my research has found no major problems with the W202s, except the usual corrosion, which it has no signs of.

I do like finding I have enough wood to repair the shed:smile:  Particularly as collecting sheets of OSB was going to prove awkward (too wide to fit inside, yet the roof bars are a bit close together for 3600mm long sheets, on the Mk2 Focus)

Admittedly it's 90mm planks of timber rather than sheets; that I can do a whole wall/side with in one go.

Brandy has been practising lunging and then balancing on her rear paws whilst walking backwards, at any overhead bowl, or plate that passes overhead  Even when the contents aren't of any interest to the dog community, like sliced cucumber in olive oil.  Which goes to show how good Metacam is dealing with her arthritis. 

8 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I've never driven a Quasqai but have seen a lot of them on the roads, and not many broken down which is good!  I'm surprised at the MPG though for such a small engine, as my 1.9 gets at least 45 through towns and upwards of 50 on long runs.  That's not a modern engine either!!

Managed to get 57mpg on the way down!!! :yahoo:

Car parked up for the night and having a quiet pint now to recover. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club