Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want To Buy A Mondeo But Advised Against Automatic Box?

FocusHunter

Hi,

Currently still driving my Focus 07 plate 2.0 titanium auto petrol, but would like to go with a bigger car so thinking of a Mondeo Estate, Galaxy or S-Max.

A friend advised against buying on of the above with automatic gearbox as these cars all have trouble with the automatic gearbox and told off.

Current Focus drives fine with nearly 90k on the clock, a bit jerky sometimes but else is fine, no issues to report.

So could someone please help me with my question regarding the Automatic gearbox in a Mondeo MK4 (2007+) Galaxy (2007+) or S-MAX(2007+)

Are these auto boxes known to go wrong and really should stick with Manual?

Are the mondeo and your current box not the same ? Seems a bit odd that they would change the box on what is essentially the same engine ?

Are the mondeo and your current box not the same ? Seems a bit odd that they would change the box on what is essentially the same engine ?

No sure, want to go for a diesel titanium! Mondeo got same auto box as the Focus mk2.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Powershift auto boxes in Galaxy/S-max use a wet-plate dual clutch design by Getrag on the 2.0 diesel engine. These have had some issues and now require a 3-yearly xx,000 miles gearbox oil and filter change. AIUI they are much improved over the earliest units.

Durashift boxes are conventional torque-converter types (by Aisin?). 2010 MY introduced the change to Powershift on the Galaxy (my 09 plate had a conventional auto box). The durashift is a very reliable auto box as far as I know. The 2.2 litre diesel auto is still Durashift up to today... my 63 plate has one!

Not sure about the dates for S-max and Mondeo boxes... but Wikipedia says 2010 Galaxy/S-max and 2008 for Mondeo.

• Like 1

Powershift auto boxes in Galaxy/S-max use a wet-plate dual clutch design by Getrag on the 2.0 diesel engine. These have had some issues and now require a 3-yearly xx,000 miles gearbox oil and filter change. AIUI they are much improved over the earliest units.

Durashift boxes are conventional torque-converter types (by Aisin?). 2010 MY introduced the change to Powershift on the Galaxy (my 09 plate had a conventional auto box). The durashift is a very reliable auto box as far as I know. The 2.2 litre diesel auto is still Durashift up to today... my 63 plate has one!

Not sure about the dates for S-max and Mondeo boxes... but Wikipedia says 2010 Galaxy/S-max and 2008 for Mondeo.

So if I go with a Mondeo, S-Max or Galaxy 2.2 Litre diesel it will be a Durashift box? How can I find out if one has a Powershift box or Durashift?

So if I go with a Mondeo, S-Max or Galaxy 2.2 Litre diesel it will be a Durashift box? How can I find out if one has a Powershift box or Durashift?

You could try entering the VIN number into ETIS.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Thanks, is there any easier way to check?

Easier than typing a VIN number? I suppose you could ask someone else to type it in for you or ask a Ford dealership if they'd do it.

Other than that, I'm sorry I don't know any other way if it's not stated in the owners manual.

You don't need a VIN... The REG NO will do. I looked up the precise spec according to ETIS for my 63-plate from the dealers advert long before I even went to see it. (Some ads do obscure the reg though).

My 2.2.Titanium X says Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic AWF21 FWD

My old 2.0 09 Ghia says Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle - AWF21

A random advert for a 2.0 Powershift says Transmission: 6 Speed Powershift 6DCT450 - MPS6

So if you can get the reg number you are laughing... BUT any dealers worth their salt ought to know the answer!

BTW the Durashift has higher emissions and poorer fuel economy than the Powershift. The 2.2 is also in a higher insurance group (more bhp). VED is likely to be one higher as well.

Easier than typing a VIN number? I suppose you could ask someone else to type it in for you or ask a Ford dealership if they'd do it.

Other than that, I'm sorry I don't know any other way if it's not stated in the owners manual.

You are not going to call someone and ask for their VIN number, are you? I am trying to find a car on Autotrader and its a little bit suspicious to phone and ask for the car's VIN!

The reg is a lot easier and not suspicious to ask for!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club