Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Knob Change

Morning all,

Looking to get a new gear knob for my focus as the orginal one is pretty manky.

Ive got a 2008 Zetec Focus, from what im guessing you just unscrew anticlockwise?

Thanks,

Ed

Unscrews as stated.

The knob is clamped to the gaiter with a plastic ring so is a bit tight to seperate.

Id it just the plastic insert that's manky or the whole knob?

The insert comes out easily, push a small screwdriver under the cover and lift off.

I'll lob up a picture for you shortly.

I have a spare knob in reasonable condition if you're willing to pay a couple of pounds for postage.

I fitted a facelift knob in my prefacelift, gaiters were different and I damaged the facelift gaiter removing it from the car at the breakers, but the prefacelift one is elasticated, so I lucked out, but yeah, screw off screw on, just lift the gaiter from the bottom to prevent damage

Ive basically got a brand new gear knob for it, ill have a good at twisting it off, if its just the gear knob and not the gaiter that im replacing do I still need to unhook the gaiter?

Yes.

If you twist the knob without unclipping the gaiter you'll only get one full turn and you'll rip the gaiter.

Also if you have the knob like in my pictures you need to get to the release ting underneath which is hellishly fiddly to remove.

where did you get a replacement? ive looked but they all seem crazy prices

Morning all,

Looking to get a new gear knob for my focus as the orginal one is pretty manky.

Ive got a 2008 Zetec Focus, from what im guessing you just unscrew anticlockwise?

Thanks,

Ed

You've probably sorted it by now, but I've just got and changed mine, I was hoping I'd get it last Friday and make a video.

But this video might still be of use to anyone else who comes across this thread.

Getting that plastic collar off was a pain, and had to do it twice (both Gear Knobs).

My new one was from a 2010 Fiesta which I bought off eBay for £8, it looks brand new.

it looks so much better in silver, and looks more like the Focus ST & RS ones.

Filmed with my Mobius dashcam.

• Like 1

Sorry about the breathing, I had the camera in my mouth lol

The gator just clips in, the rim has a wire to keep it's shape, you just gently pull it out from the frame.

You see me putting it back on, just get it in position and push it in place.

Haha I thought you might have, ill have a bash when I get the new knob

Lol joker!

• 3 weeks later...

Evening,

Thans for posting that video Raider32, Ive just bought a new gearknob and I was struggling to work out how to change it without breaking anything. Can I ask though, see the plastic collar underneath the gaiter, do you need to break that to get the old gear knob off? And then how does it fit back on? Probably daft questions but on my old corsa I litterally just had to unscrew the knob and put new one on.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mike

If you mean the collar that holds the gaiter to the knob I removed one with a vice and two wide bladed screwdrivers (one on each side to pop the collar off).

I knocked it back on using a large socket and a hammer.

Make sure you wrsp the knob in thick layers of padding before putting it in a vice to stop it getting damaged.

A suggestion-

post-28494-0-95108000-1426718048_thumb.j

(Excuse the low rent picture)

As in my video I just picked at the collar with a small screwdriver using thumb to keep pressure on it, in reality it took about 10 times longer than shown lol.

Getting it back on, I just pushed it back on until it clipped back on.

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I'll try it out tonight if I get some time!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club