Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Rust Build Up In Number Plate Light

DavyCookie

Hey guys, this has probably already been covered before, but I thought I'd ask anyway, my mk2 passenger side number plate light builds u with rust and water, causing the bulb to stop working, I remove it, clean it all out and replace the bulb, but it has happened quite a few times, I have even replaced the holder itself, no luck. Is this a common problem? Was considering stripping the boot as it seems like it is running into it and I'm pretty sure I'll find a trail, but if it is a simple fix, let me know :)

The boot handle trim that the number plate lights sit in is connected via 4 bolts behind the boot lid cover. These bolts are connected to the plastic trim and if they have been over tightened they can crack the plastic. Take out the bulb holder and look for any damage to the plastic.

Also try removing the trim by removing the 10mm nuts, also you need to disconnect the number plate lights power connectors and the boot button connector. Remove the trim and you will see a foam backing that seals around the number plate light holes. If the trim is undamaged use some silicone sealant around the foam and replace it back. If the trim is damaged in anyway just get another one from a breakers.

Cheers PKY, I'm gonna blame the body shop then going by your explanation, because I had them colour code the strip ): Maybe a bead of tigerseal will do the job?

And cheers Stoney871

My boot button stopped working. I set about replacing it. One of my bolts was free spinning on the trim as it had become detached from the trim at some point. It had cracked the plastic so water could get into the light. The foam that seals against the car had come away and was unfixable. If yours looks fine then tiger seal should work. I bought a colour coded one from a mark 2.5 from a scrappy and all is well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club