Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing A Mk2.5 Number Plate Bulb

worcspaul

I know this topic's been touched on before but I thought I might be able to lend a helping hand with some pictures.

Anyone with a Mk2.5 (2008-2011) Focus will, at some point, encounter the "delight" that is the number plate bulb change. The problem is that, like me, someone approaching this for the first time will insert a narrow flat-bladed screwdriver into the slot on the R/H side of the lamp and lever, expecting it to pop out...only to end up with it rattling about and the air turning blue!

First, let's have a look at what we're dealing with:

20150227_155346_zpsf2ttqnus.jpg

As can be seen, there's a metal spring clip that needs to be compressed. This is achieved by inserting the screwdriver *at an angle* thus:

20150227_155636_zps22i1enu8.jpg

then using the 'driver as a lever:

20150227_155655_zpsfa9z1qlr.jpg

It takes a little practice, but with a little care it can be done quickly. Once the assembly has been released, twist the bulb holder to remove it from the lens assembly and replace the bulb. Put it all back together and clip back in place. Job done.

For those who are interested, this is the screwdriver I used:

20150227_160014_zps5td0uap1_edit_1425059

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

i tried what you did but NO joy. I cant get the clip past its location -----------This is truly exasperating !!

I have an MOT next day and have to fix this and replace a parking bulb which I couldnt do as I dont know

how to do it. One youtube video states that I need to turn the plastic paddle clockwise with some very long nose pliers . Who normally keeps long nose pliers ?

why cant ford make it easier to remove?  Why not use screws ? 

Hi I followed the above instructions and worked for me, I did this about a month ago on my mk2.5 focus Zetec S to put some LED Bulbs in. I used a small file with tape wrapped round it and then just did as above, I had to use I bit more force on one side than the other but they came out easy.

hi

i am worried about about how much pressure to use in case i broke something . I must have spent about 20 mins on this and was apoplectic that something which should have been a 3 min job had turned into a struggle of 'life and death' !

What compounded this issue was that I had to also change a parking bulb and once again i failed as I couldn't work out how this was done. 

In the process I somehow managed to lose the cover cap for the parking bulb enclosure !

In the end I had to lie down as it got too much for me. 

Well if you lived closer I would say pop round and I will give it a go for you, are you getting your MOT done at a Ford dealer, my old mk2 needed this doing for an MOT and Ford changed it for a few quid. So even if you let the garage do it, it should not cost you much.

I appreciate your kind gesture. Unfortunately I live in Coventry - although I'd love to move to Yorkshire - but the jobs in my field arent there.

Anyway, I will get my local MOT garage sort it out at the time of my MOT - Its just sooo infuriating that I wasn't able to do these 2 apparently simple jobs.