Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Would You Do?

skyman114

I took my 1.4tdci Fusion into a main dealer for a Cam belt replacement and minor service this week, as the price they quoted was cheaper than my local independent.

Once the works were completed i was handed the keys and the car started first time, and lasted for all of 6 seconds before dying on the forecourt. I tried to restart the car but it was having none of it. This is the first time i have ever had a starting / running issue.

I went back into the main dealers and they sent out the mechanic that had worked on it, he had a fiddle under the bonnet and eventually got it to start, and took it back into the workshop to find out what the problem was.

After around 30 mins he returned having been unable to find a fault.

I drove the car home (45 miles) with out incident and parked it up for the day.

The following morning i started the car as normal, however again it lasted for a few second prior to dying once more.

The AA were called who confirmed that it was dying due to fuel starvation.

I returned to the main dealer, they advised me that they "thought" it was an "air bleed Valve"? and would cost me £202.50.

They diagnosed the fault with out seeing the fault for themselves and it was their best guess???

I told them that should they replace the part which i was happy to pay for and the problem re occurred i would expect a full refund on that part and fitting cost.

They have put me into a loan car and kept mine in to run further tests....

SO WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION?

Query whether they changed the fuel filter.

If yhey did and broke the bleed valve then tbh they caused the fault so should be fully liable for costs.

• Like 2

I 100% agree with stoney871 but when you go back i would take proof that you live 45 miles away as they may turn around and say you done 90 miles on the car before bring it back. if the car did not go in the a starting problem then it should not come out with one.

they need to remove/move to one side the air bleed valve to access the cam cover when doing the belt, unfortunatly they dont like being disturbed and causes air leaks in to the fuel system, french rubbish again with a french engine.

no doubt they caused it to fail, so they should at least pay towards the cost of the part/labour in my opinion

suprised you havent had the air bleed pipework replaced allready, dont last to long.

• Like 1

Does £202 sound expensive for some pipe work and a valve ? or is that the going rate?

Yes, but let them do some more investigation work on the car, as it might not be that.

just keep stating that if the part is now broken then you need it replaced free or 50% off the bill as there heavy hands did it.

Good luck.

Its a very common problem, just checked on eBay and oem pipe on there was £49. The new replacement part has been redesigned.

Thanks all, i will call them in the morning and see what they have to say.

iantt do you have a link for the part in question pls?

It's clear from what you said that they caused the problem, and they should have done a test drive after the service anyway, so they should have noticed the problem then.

If it was me, I'd say to them that the car doesn't work after the service so the service hasn't been done properly, and I'd expect them to fix it and even get some kind of compensation or at least a courtesy car until it's fixed.

They should have noticed the poor starting after the belt was replaced.

A little update >

Spoke to main dealers this morning and the car has refused to start this morning until it was primed.

I told the dealer i was unhappy as i had brought a working car to them and they had handed me back a car that now does not work after they had worked on it.

I told them i was not prepared to pay the full cost of the part and labour and was holding them responsible for causing the issue.

I informed them of the cost of the O/E part.

The service manager said he has asked the tech and it is a common problem? Why then did they let me leave on the day if it was a common issue with this engine? They also said that at no point does the fuel primer need to be moved to access the CAM belt for replacement.

Any further thoughts?

Sounds like they're trying to wriggle out of it. No matter what they say, the fact remains that the car didn't work after the service, and as you told them they gave you back a car that couldn't be driven. I think you should stand your ground and hopefully they will see sense.

• Like 2

Ok final update:

I use the car for work and have been off the road since Friday.

Told them i was not going to pay £202 for a repair that they may or may not have caused. Settled on £167.00 and get it back today.

Not ideal, but better than getting the car back and having to order a part that will take a further day to arrive and the hassle of fitting it myself or finding an independent to fit for me.

Thanks all for the advice.

• Like 1

Skyman: You're in Surrey. It wasn't Think Ford in Guildford was it...? (There's a reason for me asking that, btw.)

Skyman: You're in Surrey. It wasn't Think Ford in Guildford was it...? (There's a reason for me asking that, btw.)

nope, SMC sittingbourne.

Righto, I'll add them to my "Do Not Give Money To" list...

;)

Sent from Ye Olde iPadde using Ford OC

I found they did a good job of the repair of my cmax, except they have me the car back without several pieces they were ordering them in and would send to me for me to fit ;/ I was quite irritated by this but as the car was at my door and the hire car was going back I had no option but to accept. However if I had the car for longer I would have told him to take it back, finish the job and ring it to me when it's actually finished...

I sold the car that afternoon and got the Mondeo so it wasn't too bad a problem buy it was pathetic

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club