Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Questions About My New Mk2

Weozy

Hello all,

Just joined the site so, nice to unofficially meet you all!

Picked up my MK2 at the weekend and have a few questions about a few things.

It's a 2005 1.6 TDCi, 135k on the clocks and picked it up at a good price so looking to get some stuff sorted.

Firstly, it's my first diesel and I understand that they have noisy engines but there is a high pitched 'ticking' when accelerating. This happens in all gears but not when idling or going over about 3000-3500 rpm. Is this normal?

The car did not come with a stereo as the owner took it out. However it has a facia so wanted to get my single din installed but the power connectors don't match. It's a standard aftermarket Sony and it fit my old Seat Leon with its existing connection so do I need some sorted of adaptor for this? Also there is two sets of RCA connectors there as well, one set goes to the boot which would have been for a subwoofer but can't seem to lead the other anywhere, the car has aftermarket vibe Speakers installed, could there be an amplifier hidden somewhere do you think?

Also I have two warning messages, ESP system fault which in guessing it to do with traction control? And steering assist failure... the car is lowered on coo lovers, could this be the cause for the steering failure? I will try and get some codes read tomorrow at work.

Two silly questions to finish you off!... Does it have a heated windscreen? There is a button next to my rear heater button which shows a window with a zig zag like through it, is that was this is for? And... The black removable plastic next to the handbrake, does this have a purpose? Inside looks like a dodgy cup holder, it's baffling me if something should actually be in there.

Thank you in advance :)

Try to answer these the ticking no its not normal sounds like tappets an oil change may help it or it can be a sign its not regularly been serviced

The amp no it sounds like the owner took it out you'll need a ford iso connector from the Sony to the ford wiring and a patch lead so the steering controls work the esp etc will fail an mot there could be many reasons for it you'll need I looked at anything from a faulty wheel bearing to an abs pump fault steering assist failure either the steering pumps gone or there's a leak in the fluid or the electro assist has failed yes the buttons a heated screen button.sounds like a boy racers car and it sounds like you've got a few big bills coming in afraid

• Like 2

So by the sounds of it I've bought a heap!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

So by the sounds of it I've bought a heap!

These are the connections, can anyone point me in the direction of what I need.

post-63417-142529708174_thumb.jpgpost-63417-142529709548_thumb.jpgpost-63417-142529710993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Re: heated windscreen - look at the windscreen itself. If it has a thin wiggly black wire running through the glass, then yes it is heated.

The steering is a dual system - having both hydraulic and electric assist. My first thought would be to check the fuses and then the hydraulic fluid. There haven't been many complaints about the steering on these from forum users.

ESP might be related. However, it might be worth seeing if it's actually turned off (steering wheel menu). Or, again fuses.

It sounds as though the previous owner has played with the electrics.

For the radio - Halfords quite often have loom adapters for big-brand headunits and common cars. Failing that, eBay.

I'd certainly be giving a thorough service at the very least. Hopefully it won't be too expensive!!

• Like 1

Radio world on amazon are good for patch leads, can't help with ESP or the steering fault but hopefully nothing too sinister.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input. All is noted and greatly appreciated! I can't seem to find the correct adaptor for the stereo. Can anyone provide a link to an example? None seem to look right to me!!

Your Stereo should have a lead that plugs into it with an ISO plug on the other end that the 2 single ISO plugs you have found plug into. Do you have the lead that plugs into the back of the stereo? If not it will likely be fairly specific to the make of radio.

• Like 1

Your Stereo should have a lead that plugs into it with an ISO plug on the other end that the 2 single ISO plugs you have found plug into. Do you have the lead that plugs into the back of the stereo? If not it will likely be fairly specific to the make of radio.

You just broke it down so simply that I have found exactly what I need! Thank you

post-63417-14253398344_thumb.jpg

Haha I really wish this forum had a "I'm with stupid" emoticon lol actually haven't even looked at what emoticons are available. But anyway you are welcome buddy.

Some of us have been round the block a bit, my days of swapping radios and adding as many Speakers and subwoofers have long gone. But been there done it before.

• Like 1

Haha I haven't got round to having a look at them either. Could be 5 minutes of entertainment tomorrow at work!

Yeah I understand, I'm new to Ford in general so I'm glad I searched and found this forum. Seems a good bunch of people on here.

Just having a bit of banter. There isn't generally a stupid question only stupid answers. Better to ask advice If you don't know. But you may still need another adapter for the steering wheel controls to work as it can depend on how the wheel controls work and how they are connected.

Ahh right okay, I'll have to look into that a little more. Any ideas on what cable is needed for the stalk?

Don't know how the steering wheel controls are connected on the Ford as never had the stereo out sorry. They should work I would think If there is no separate plugs other than the ISO connector into the back of the stereo. It generally depends on if the connectors have the pins wired the same way.

I'll have a bit of research on that tomorrow, thank you for all the help. Appreciate it buddy.

Just plugged in a fault code reader and got the following codes:

P0102

P0033

P022B

Any ideas?

Simply google them !

P0102 is mass air flow circuit low input

• Like 1

Simply google them !

P0102 is mass air flow circuit low input

P0033 - Turbo charger bypass valve control circuit

P022B - Air bypass valve position senosr circuit low input

Can anybody shed some light onto this for me?

Also, looking to get different headlight bulbs, is there any difference between blue bulbs and the multi-coloured looking bulbs? Never understood.

Note the DTC's down then clear them and run the car for a day or two and see if they come back, they could just be anomaly's or old codes not previously cleared. If they do come back then further investigation would be required.

I recommend the Bosch 'Pure Light' bulbs, very bright, slight hint of blue, with the members discount card for Halfrauds and their staff's inability to do maths they are not expensive either. Other good ones are Nightbreakers.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I've tried osram and Bosch as well as cobalt bulbs eclipse bulbs and they are all rubbish I have these which are way brighter than all of them I don't go by lumen tests I use them these are far better less expensive and last longer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111442788867?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've tried osram and Bosch as well as cobalt bulbs eclipse bulbs and they are all rubbish I have these which are way brighter than all of them I don't go by lumen tests I use them these are far better less expensive and last longer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111442788867?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hi, are these stright swaps for any type of standard existing bulbs - I've heard that some need an extra module fitted to protect the electronics (???) . Sorry I'm not really clued up on this side of things.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club