Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any 17 Inch Tyre Recommendations? 1.6 (115) Petrol

Gavinb

Always used Continental sports (car fitted with these when bought) the current 5s on the front have only lasted about 10,000 miles. Have Nexen and Goodrich on the back due to sidewall punctures. They still have a lot of tread left.

Should I stick to a sports tyre? I drive mainly around country lanes and like to attack the bends. Am tempted to go for a harder tyre, but not sure I'd like the feel.

205 50 17 93W

I had ZV5s on the front (don't like them, but they're cheapest of an expensive bunch of mid-range tyres), and Goodyear EfficientGrips on the back.

For some reason last time the car was in the garage they swapped front to back. Haven't bothered to switch back yet, but the Goodyears feel better on the front.

I don't drive particularly fast but I can tell a cheap tyre from a brand.

i didnt really notice much difference switching from ZV5's in the front to Goodyear efficcientgrip performance, so ill be going back to the avons when the goodyears have worn out

i didnt really notice much difference switching from ZV5's in the front to Goodyear efficcientgrip performance, so ill be going back to the avons when the goodyears have worn out

If the GYs run out as quicker as I suspect they will, I'll probably join you.

My hatred towards the ZV5s are generally down to 2 things:

i) Pulling away I get wheelspin on pretty much any surface

ii) In the wet they seem particularly awful.

In the dry though, they are as good as any.

I should also point out to anyone finding this thread on google or whatever, that I'm very much in the minority in hating ZV5s!

I've got DV5's on mine, and there a very good tyre. Both wet and dry. Don't have any probs with wheel spin either, I did with the Maxxis Pro-R1's that came on the car though.

Verdestian sportrac wet and dry tyre grips extremely well

Art.. You said that in my thread, but I never found them in 205/50/17 93s - even the link you gave did not have that specification available.

bought 4 new nokian summer from above link cant fault them

paul

I had ZV5s on the front (don't like them, but they're cheapest of an expensive bunch of mid-range tyres), and Goodyear EfficientGrips on the back.

For some reason last time the car was in the garage they swapped front to back. Haven't bothered to switch back yet, but the Goodyears feel better on the front.

I don't drive particularly fast but I can tell a cheap tyre from a brand.

Maybe the Goodyears had more tread on them, better to have more grip on the front end and also ware better if its a front wheel drive.

Top 2 links couldn't find a match, blackcircles do them in 89s but not the extra load that is standard fit to the car.

Don't get me wrong, I know speed indexes and the extra load stuff are not 100% required to match, but even so, they don't appear to be available in this very specific size: 205/50/R17 V 93.

your insurance will be invalid if you do not get the correct spec which is 205 50 17 93W XL for the 17"

I agree....

So am I going nuts or is artscot still not linking to a tyre with all the right specs? It might well be a good tyre, but if it's not available it's not available.

its a good tyre ive heard of BMW cars using those, but its not available for our 17" with the right speed and load ratings unfortunaretly

.. i want a e39 530d now..

your insurance will be invalid if you do not get the correct spec which is 205 50 17 93W XL for the 17"

Mine came from the factory with 205 50 17 89W....and they weren't XL. Screen shot from Ford Etis.

Screenshot_2015-03-10-19-51-15_zpsxt7ufn

Bizarrely mine also says 89's but they've not been on since I bought the car. Oops

Hopefully it's over spec tho

My Avon's are 89V.....as W is speed rating of 168 mph. And V is 149 mph. Don't think my Focus is ever gonna reach those speeds lol

And 89 is the load rating and is 580kg per tyre. So think I'm good there and the same that was fitted at the factory. 93 is 650kg per tyre so your over spec there, so all good.

Been happy with Goodyear Eagle F1AS2's on my Focus, both on 18" and 19" wheels. Due for a new set soon and I think it'll be the Goodyears again.

It's the load rating that is important for insurance and safety either the same or over spec.

Obviously if your going to be driving at high speeds everywhere you want a tyre to match speed rating wise.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Quick question: Will I notice a difference in handling if I went for some non-sport tyres to get the extra milage? Remember I have two cheaper tyres on the back with lots of tread left. Not interested in sports tyres if they are of no benefit.

make sure you fit all same tyre make to car as different tyres can affect road handling/steering/braking

paul

The verdestian have harder side walls and are rated for the focus so either the 17s put on are way above what's required for the car or summats amiss ive got 15s and got the exact spec different tyre compounds have different ratings so you're need the 205/55/17

Verdestian know they're stuff and are fitted to high performance cars so they wouldn't sell a tyre that's not for the car

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club