Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Engine Noise

Bobby0070

Hi, Iam getting a strange engine noise when my st220 is warm, it sounds like 'a blowing into an empty bottle sound' it's intermittent and comes and goes when the car has warmed up when I accelerate, put the clutch in and change gear and it goes ? Any ideas before I get ripped off by a garage ???

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

sounds like a split hose or pipe somewhere to me,

Could It be the power steering pump??

this is a common problem on the v6 and is usually cured by cleaning the IACV so i would start here.

There is no problems with the idle speed or revving could it still be that?

there are two sounds you can get from the v6 one is the bottle blow noise and the other is known as moosing which is cured by a modified intake pipe, do a google search for ford v6 moosing and read all about it.

I read up on the moosing and watched a vid on you tube, but it's a different sound I think

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the Mondeo world, my 1st Mondeo and my 1st v6 Zetec s. I had moosing on my v6 and only today bought a 19mm-3/4inch heater pipe (eurocarparts No. BAR390) and replaced it for the air intake that runs to the idle control valve, worked a treat.

Thanks for the reply, could you possibly take a pic of the pipe? Did yours only make the noise when it is warm? Mine does it when warm driving around town constantly starting the engine and stopping, on a long run its fine.

Thanks

Rob

No mine was all the time! http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=V6_Moosing_Noise%C2%A0

It's the long hose wrapped around the brake master cylinder cost about £6 from euro car parts.

you'll have to copy and paste the link cos I dunno how to upload things on here! I'm very new to this. my noise sounded slightly different to the youtube video as well! I got a couple of mates to check, then I read about the hose! cleared it right up

Really hope this helps

Tim

• Like 1

Cheers mate I will have a nose!!

Hose on order, easy enough to fit ?

yes mate! 2 minutes! just hope it cures it for you!

Cheers mate hopefully come before the weekend and will see how it goes

Hi was the original pipe shorter?? post-63649-142842737273_thumb.jpg

it was but yours looks a lot different to mine! So i genuinely don't know if changing that pipe will help at all.

Hmmmm not sure what to do now, I bought the car with the after market air filter on, is that why it looks different?

No mate I've only just seen that yours is the st220 so the intake is different! however they seem to suffer the same problem, For £7 I would change that pipe, if it doesn't work just put it back and try and return the pipe and I really wouldn't know what else to suggest sorry. You won't have lost anything for trying,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Replaced that hose anyway and fingers crossed for since then no noise!! :) been about 4 weeks now, strange how a simple thing can sort a problem thanks again

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi mate the noise is the air idle valve.  Easy to fix at the top of the engine.  Two bolts and unclip the cable . £ 45 for the part , see it on you tube. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club