Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofitting A New Radio/display System Mk3

Sonicmouse

I've got the typical Ford Focus radio system with the blue matrix display, however I really don't like it! Im looking at either installing the Sony radio with the display screen similar to the trip computer or possibly seeing if it's possible to retrofit the head unit like they have in America with the large screen.

Would the large screen be compatible with the UK car?

If not, I'll have to go with the Sony radio and colour display. Does anyone know what the model/part number would be so I can try and track it down, buy it and install it?

The color display can be retrofitted to your current radio unit without any problems. It only needs to be programmed into the car's Central Configuration.

My car did also have the monochrome (black/blue) 3.5 Inch display. I retrofitted the 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display which worked perfectly. It also made the Sat Nav functions and menu appear in the radio menu. After I retrofitted the GPS antenna, SD-card and a few wires I have the original Sat Nav system.

The color display can be retrofitted to your current radio unit without any problems. It only needs to be programmed into the car's Central Configuration.

My car did also have the monochrome (black/blue) 3.5 Inch display. I retrofitted the 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display which worked perfectly. It also made the Sat Nav functions and menu appear in the radio menu. After I retrofitted the GPS antenna, SD-card and a few wires I have the original Sat Nav system.

Any idea what the part number is so I can differentiate from the others that may be the same as mine? Was it difficult to fit?

The 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display has the following part numbers:

AM5T-18B955-Dx

BM5T-18B955-Dx (superseeds AM5T-18B955-Dx)

EM5T-18B955-Dx (superseeds AM5T-18B955-Dx and BM5T-18B955-Dx)

The x in the part numbers above is the revision letter. This can be any letter. The higher the letter in alphabetical order the newer the part number.

The 5 Inch display does also have a different surround panel. However the surround panel of the 3.5 Inch monochrome display can also be used with some small modifications.

Strangely the opening in the 3.5 Inch surround panel is a bit larger than the opening of the 5 Inch surround panel. Because of this the 3.5 Inch surround panel will expose 2 small metal edges on the side of the 5 Inch display. This can be solved by covering this 2 metal edges with wrapping vinyl. The 5 Inch display will also be a small bit too low. This can be solved by adding 2 washers between the 5 Inch display and the mounting bracket.

DSC04012_zpspqgtunzg.jpg

DSC04011_zpsynhllm1i.jpg

DSC04010_zpsdosxslxw.jpg

DSC04013_zpsef3jnld1.jpg

DSC04014_zpsgrpt6rdq.jpg

• Like 1

That's brilliant, really helpful.

Would the screen/radio need to be from the focus or could it be from a fiesta?

• 4 months later...

Hi JW1982!!

Do you have by chance a picture of the display's back?

I cannot find the part # that you'd mentioned but instead there are a lot of EM5T-18B955-JB displays and seems that it don't have the fakra connector.

Thanks!

As far as I can find part number EM5T-18B955-JB is a USA version of the 4.2 Inch display. This type of display was origannally installed into a USA Focus MK3 with SYNC. This part number has never been used on the European Focus MK3.

Most USA displays are not fully compatible with the European Focus MK3. It is possible to install the european firmware on a USA display but this is a bit risky. First you have to know the exact file name of the European equivalent of the firmware installed on the display. Next you have to download (the latest version of) this firmware from the Motorcraft website. Note that not all fimware files are available as a download! If you have the correct European firmware you need a suitable (Ford specific) diagnostic system which is capable to update the firmware of CANbus modules. This can be done with an ELM327 interface and the FoCCCus software. Updating the firmware of the display can take a really long time and if something goes wrong during the update procedure the display can easily be bricked.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old topic.. does anyone know of anywhere in Glasgow  (or Scotland) that would do this retrofit for me?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Murdo, I'm in the middle of doing this to my 2016 fiesta, if it goes well I will let you know. 

anyone know if the 5" screen  would work in a 2012 focus ?

read the posts above and you will have your answer. ( yes is the answer.lol) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to find any "DX" screens on eBay or elsewhere

where are you guys getting them from?!

• 3 years later...
On 3/9/2015 at 6:58 PM, JW1982 said:

The 5 Inch full color Sat Nav display has the following part numbers:

AM5T-18B955-Dx

BM5T-18B955-Dx (superseeds AM5T-18B955-Dx)

EM5T-18B955-Dx (superseeds AM5T-18B955-Dx and BM5T-18B955-Dx)

The x in the part numbers above is the revision letter. This can be any letter. The higher the letter in alphabetical order the newer the part number.

The 5 Inch display does also have a different surround panel. However the surround panel of the 3.5 Inch monochrome display can also be used with some small modifications.

Strangely the opening in the 3.5 Inch surround panel is a bit larger than the opening of the 5 Inch surround panel. Because of this the 3.5 Inch surround panel will expose 2 small metal edges on the side of the 5 Inch display. This can be solved by covering this 2 metal edges with wrapping vinyl. The 5 Inch display will also be a small bit too low. This can be solved by adding 2 washers between the 5 Inch display and the mounting bracket.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC04012_zpspqgtunzg.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC04011_zpsynhllm1i.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC04010_zpsdosxslxw.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC04013_zpsef3jnld1.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC04014_zpsgrpt6rdq.jpg

Hi

Im looking for help with finding a suitable Radio/Screen replacement.

The car is a Focus Mk3 2013 BM5T

Just now I have a Sync 1 Radio with the small mono screen.

I’m wanting to update it with a Sony Radio with Sat nav with the 5 inch Screen, or even just the 5 inch Screen itself.

Are the above screen number still the same as the post is a few year’s  old now ?

I have been looking for ages for one with the BM5T 18B9955 Dx (x being the Rev number)

and other than a few from Germany for crazy prices. I can’t find any.  

Must the screen end with Dx or can the Screen end with other letters or numbers after this amount of time providing they start with BM5T ?

Next Question......

if l was to buy a Snyc 3 Radio and screen, where can I find the required Loom that’s needed to plug in to my original Loom ?

Hope you guys can help, as I’m getting nowhere fast with this. 

Thanks in advance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club