Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm New - And Having Car Problems!

sarahkv

Hi

My zetec 1.4 (2005) recently broke down - the prognosis was that the head gasket blew, and then water got in the engine, and two pistons went too.

My garage quoted me a minimum of £1500 to have a new engine put in. But with it likely to be more.

I managed to find a half decent 2nd hand engine for £400 with a 12 month warranty. I just rang the garage for a quote to install this new engine which comes complete - and they have quoted me £500 plus VAT. So £600 full cost. Does this sound right? As a friend of mine reckoned it would be about £200-£300.

I know they probably have to include the time they had to investigate what the problem was in the first place and also probably towing it to the larger garage.

I don't know a great deal about cars, having not owned one since I was 17/18, I only have one now as necessary for the job I got offered. I just want to make sure that the garage doesn't realise this and they are taking me for a mug!

Any help and comments much appreciated.

Hi

My zetec 1.4 (2005) recently broke down - the prognosis was that the head gasket blew, and then water got in the engine, and two pistons went too.

My garage quoted me a minimum of £1500 to have a new engine put in. But with it likely to be more.

I managed to find a half decent 2nd hand engine for £400 with a 12 month warranty. I just rang the garage for a quote to install this new engine which comes complete - and they have quoted me £500 plus VAT. So £600 full cost. Does this sound right? As a friend of mine reckoned it would be about £200-£300.

I know they probably have to include the time they had to investigate what the problem was in the first place and also probably towing it to the larger garage.

I don't know a great deal about cars, having not owned one since I was 17/18, I only have one now as necessary for the job I got offered. I just want to make sure that the garage doesn't realise this and they are taking me for a mug!

Any help and comments much appreciated.

Hi there id say have a shop around I've done a couple of engine changes myself with my mechanic friend and that sounds a very high price.

If can find one online with good feedback on there work and reasonable price can't see why wouldn't get it for £250-300 even if have to hire a man with a flatbed to take you there would be a lot cheaper than what they're quoting :)

Saul

• Like 1