Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Change Question

H3xc0d3

Hi,

New to this forum :)

I have a 06 1.4 tdci fiesta that I need to do a engine replacement on (losts all oil over motorway)

I have got a donor engine to fit but have a few questions about what is coded to the ECU

Besides the injectors is there anything else on the engine that needs swapped over or coded to the ECU?

Thanks in advance

You have to swap the instrument cluster and key transponder at the same time as the ECU as they're all part of the immobiliser. I don't know about any other parts as my cars a petrol not diesel! Sorry! I'm sure someone will tell you the rest sometime soon :)

Ah, no engine only replacement but parts on the lump are coded :)

I know I need to replace the injectors from the old engine to the new one with all new seals but is there anything else? any pumps ect that are coded to the ecu

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your question! Can't help you with that I'm afraid! Sorry mate

I've heard that the diesel fuel pump may be coded but can't find any information on this

Just take the ECU from the Donor along with injectors and block, should be fine. make sure it's from the same year though.

If you're swappping the ECU you must swap the clocks & y transponder too or the immobilisor will kick in

The donor is from a 03 plate so a ecu swap is not a option unless I get the cluster reprogrammed to work with the donor ECU

Never had that, I've done it before and they are coded separate, otherwise you'd need keys and barrel changes for an engine swap which isn't the case. immobiliser is separate to the ECU coding. Dials will work but odometer will be wrong.

This is the first diesel I've worked on but I know the petrol fiesta that the ECU/transponder and cluster are paired

I'e searched high and low to find if the diesel pump is paired to the ECU but I can't find an answer

Just swap the pump and injectors over, pump easy enough to swap, and as your swapping engines then cambelt will need doing to be on safe side at same time making pump swap at same time.

injectors not actually coded but swapping them not a bad idea as you dont know what yhere like.

and no need to swap ecu, ign barrel instrument cluster etc etc etc.lol

Think that's going to be my only option Ian, was hoping to avoid as the cambelt was done less than 20k ago in the donor

Actually the pump doesnt need coding as such as its basically a mechanical pump with inlet metering valve, when fitting valve you reset learnt values in ecu

so you could getaway with swapping nothing , but I wouldnt, you dont know what debris may have entered pump and injectors when engine removed from donor car.

Whats blown on yours? Rod gone through block?

Should be clean as I removed the donor myself.

Not sure what damage has been done as I can't see any damage to the block or sump but the previous owner was on the motorway when it lost all it's oil, engine starts but sounds like bottom end damage

Thats ok then , I got to swap pump and everything else over on this transit engine I dropped out this morning

post-59356-0-51234200-1426273177_thumb.j

That's a large lump to play with :lol:

Still can't find any info on the diesel pump, even contacted ford and they wouldn't tell me for sure

There some thick ones at that ford dealer then. Lol

cant beat a big one to play with. !

swapping everything over, got bare exchange engine to dress up.

back to the 1.4 diesel pump, the pump is mechanical and had a electromagnetic fuel metering valve and electromagnetic fuel pressure regulator

the pcm purely actuates these,

So no electronics inside to code up.

Fantastic, I had the inlet off the top today to clean the crap from round injectors ready for removal and found fresh oil (leak off pipe I think)but very little carbon build up in the well and the injector tops were very clean so looking to get then reprogrammed rather than replacing them with the ones from the old motor as it's cheaper and faster saves me time and funds :lol:

injectors are not prorammable, but depending on enmmisiions standards, differnet injectors may apply, just check for any numbers on the top of injector for simular number identification on both sets of injectors, should imagine the emision stage will be the same on the age of cars you refering to

Mean to the ecu, the donor is from a 03 plate and the needy is a 06 place, same car just the facelift, engines both have identical injectors afaik (would need to double check)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club