Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Right Tyre Index

Gavinb

I'm not sure whether i have the right tyres on my car.

The 2 back tyres were both fitted due to sidewall punctures, not a lot of choice, went with what they suggested in garage.

Both are 205/50r17

However one is a 89Y and the other 93V

I've just bought new tyres for the front 93W, which have always been on the front and is suggested when i enter my reg into the online shops database.

On the inside of the driver door it reads V <160 km/h

I'm assuming this means V is fine for speed rating.

I can't find the load rating anywhere though. It's a MK2 1.6 (115) 5 door.

Any ideas where this info would be?

So the fronts are correct as would be on from the factory the rears are just way above what you're need and usually cost more

So the fronts are correct as would be on from the factory the rears are just way above what you're need and usually cost more

Fronts are correct, rears aren't. The Goodrich tyre speed is fine, but checking the VIN, it should be a 93 not 89. Not sure about the speed rating though, handbook states 'V or W depending on engine', nothing on the VIN or the white tyre sticker in the door states which speed rating either. Most websites come up with W tyres, a couple offer me V rated ones too.

Obviously the 89 tyre has to go, have found a part worn tyre same make as the current 93V tyre on the rear, 5mm tread for about £40. But am I okay with a V rated tyre or should I change both to 93W, bearing in mind I've just spent £220 on front tyres?

youre fine with the v rated tyre its way above what the car needs but for £40 who can argue

Mine came with 89 load index from the factory. 89 is 580kg per tyre. My Avon's are 89V which are perfectly fine, speed rating of V is 149 mph. Never going be going that fast. :)

I've always changed tyres as a axle set or all 4, better to keep them all the same. :)

• Like 1

Mine came with 89 load index from the factory. 89 is 580kg per tyre. My Avon's are 89V which are perfectly fine, speed rating of V is 149 mph. Never going be going that fast. :)

You're right VIN Plate states 985, so 89 is more than enough.

I've always changed tyres as a axle set or all 4, better to keep them all the same. :)

Have ordered a matching 93V, how important is it to have matching tyres? Enough to replace a tyre with 6mm of tread left?

Just personal preference mate, I wouldn't change one if it had that much tread on it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club