Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Suspension Spring Dropped

CharlieUK

Looking at my Suspension this moring, and found this had happened, do anybody know what it is and how much approx it would cost to fix.

cheers

post-49868-0-37377000-1426424328_thumb.j

post-49868-0-76357800-1426424311_thumb.j

Has the spring actually snapped? I'm breaking my mk6 fiesta so I've 1 front strut for sale

It looks like it has just slipped out of its socket

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Would you be looking to repair it yourself? If it's a garage job I'd say max 2/3 hours Labour depending on how awkward the bolts are. For example I can remove the struts from my car both sides in less than an hour now. When I first bought it they were such a mess it took an hour and a half at least.

Then they'd just attach a spring compressor and loosen the strut top enough to slot the spring back in, tighten the strut top then release the spring compressor, stick it back on the car

Looking at online videos and experience, it looks easy enough to do it, just to buy a spring compressor is probably the same cost as for it to be done at garage. Depends if it needs replacing, as if I did it, I'd want to replace them both.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

It's a relatively easy job to do, even if they need replacing.. It's a little daunting when the springs are compressed but it's simple enough to do

Well, i gave it a shot today, the bolts are seized on good!, tried wd40, tapping, hammer, allsorts but the top 3 bolts will not come off.

will try again soon

Tried a bit of gentle heat?

Looka like ita stripped

post-49868-142652843495_thumb.jpg

post-49868-142652844958_thumb.jpg

The nut holding the top mount on the shock is quite a common problem, presumably water gather in there.

• Like 1

Dont try undo the centre bolt without the spring compressed!

Just concentrate on removing the strut first. Have you tried soaking it in penetrating fluid?

Yes its had a good coating of fluid and theres no way id try to unscrew the centre bolt with an uncompressed spring! Lol say a vid on it

When my spark plugs rusted into the block I had to flood the area with penetrating spray and put a rag in it to stop it drying too fast. It took a week of daily topups to get it undone

Be very careful with spring compressors, check, check and triple check and take your time, if a spring slips the compressor while compressed and you are in the way it can be curtains for you. I had this drilled into me by a mechanic during training for my apprenticeship (that ended up not happening).

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

Tried again today to remove suspension. Ive ended up stripping one of the top bolts! Might have to look and splitting and finding a new bolt

Are you using hex or bi hex sockets? Looks like your sockets are driving on the corners.

Update. Ive had to take it to a mechanic mate of mine as there was no way it was comming off without sheering the bolts. He couldn't get them off without sheering them either. And said they were a pig to get off. And that's with professional kit. Had to resort to a flame.

If I had access to a hydraulic ramp, id beable to get enough leverage with my breakers.

I suppose after 9 years of weathering has had its toll on it.

P.s other sude(drivers) was easy to remove.

Pss and due to spring slipping, I had to replace the whole suspension strut as it has bent