Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise And Rev Counter On A Focus 2010 (60 Reg)

Weeksy

Hi all,

Went for my first proper drive in my new 2010 Focus Sport. 1.6 petrol. Believe its a zetec engine underneath. Its a lovely drive, with a few quirks which I wanted to run by you.

Baring in mind, my last car was a 2003 Focus estate, the revs seems really high. In 5th gear, at 80mph it was on about 3800RPM, 70mph is about 3400RPM. I vaguely remember the old focus used to be just under 3000 rpm at 70mph. Is this normal?

Also - noise! At 70, its surprisingly noisy! 80mph plus is really surprisingly loud. Not complaining but certainly louder than the old one. It just makes me wonder if the exhaust may be a bit tired, or clutch? Its done around 37k miles, so doesn't seem too old, but I have no idea when it was last replaced.

Must admit, its a lovely drive though, and pulls away at 70 very satisfactorily - overtaking is surprisingly good for a 100BHP car.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a 1.8 Zetec S and the road noise is a little bit noisy.However im guessing on mine the low profiles etc seem to give a bit more road noise.Not deafening by any means but noticable.So i would not worry to much.

Mine has 37k on the clock and exhaust has started blowing a bit.I dont know the lifespan of the exhaust but if it has happened to mine you might have something going on there.

Bit to new for a clutch id say although i went ahead and replaced mine as i thought the bite was very high,only to be told by the good folk on the forum that that is the norm with the Focus......should have asked folk first! Also 2 days after i got it the water pump went making a fair bit of noise.I also know two others that have had it go about 35k so keep an eye on it.

Hope that helps a little,

Jon

I also have a 2010 Zetec 1.8HE hatch and find it quite a bit noisier than our old 2003 1.8Tdci estate. There is more road noise and a lot more wind noise. It's definitely much harder to hear the radio than in the old car. Some of the increased noise might possibly be explained by the difference in trim level - the older car is a Ghia - but I personally think that the Mk2.5 is not as well designed and less thought and attention to detail went into it. I do find it handles much better than the Mk1.5 but that may be due to the running gear getting tired on the old car, combined with the estate body and rear suspension.

Personally I find the road noise to be quite reasonable. Its not as refined and quiet as a luxury barge of course, but it still fares better than a lot of similarly sized vehicles. The tyres you have make a huge difference, after changing from Michellins to Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres, mine became noticeably quieter.

Your car seems to be revving a little high though. At 70MPH, mine revs at between 2500 & 3000 RPM from memory. This is with the 4spd AT.

Sounds normal to me, what you describe is similar to my 1.6 ti-vct, I would say engine noise it quite loud at 70/80, I just turn the stereo up

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I do feel the revs are quite high for the speed I'm going - what is likely to be the cause of this? Its got no issues pulling away so I doubt its the clutch?

Noise - not deafening but definitely loud.

Think its standard Pirelli tyres, not low profile but I'll check!

Thanks

Dave

That's just the way the gear ratios are

Is it really that bad on the 5spd manual? I would have thought the 5spd manual is better than the 4spd auto, at least that's what I have been told.

It would be interesting to compare the final gear ratios for the two transmissions, I am sure the figures are somewhere.

I suppose on the bright side I get a lot more push out of it. Possibly something to do with the "sports" model?

Sport is just a trim level, if you have the 115bhp tivct they are pretty nippy

Just a standard 100bhp so nothing special. Ah well, fingers crossed it's fine! Seems to do average 40mpg on motorway driving, with an average speed of 65mph

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club