Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tools???

sonic113

can anyone recommend a decent torque wrench?

don't need anything too fancy and don't want to spend a fortune as it will only be used a few times a year for wheels and maybe the odd timing belt change.

I was thinking about this one as it seems to have decent reviews any thoughts or recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-2-inch/dp/B000LFTSG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427480057&sr=8-1&keywords=torque+wrench

also is there a timeing tool kit available for the focus when changing the belt? anyone got a part number for it?

Thanks guy for replays. I took the chance and ordered the silverline one. I have seen them in lidl but my local store has not had them in now for a while. Also had a look at Halfords but went with the silverline as autoexpress review give it good review for accuracy and budget value.

On the look out now for some torque sockets has I have snapped a few of my older ones might try Halfords at weekend.

Thanks again

I have quite a few silverline tools and theyre all pretty good imho, At that price im going to order one too :)

I agree with you. I have a few myself and always find they do the job dead on. Plus all hand tools from them are lifetime guarantee as well so to be honest I think it's a good value tool for the home mechanic.

can anyone recommend a decent torque wrench?

don't need anything too fancy and don't want to spend a fortune as it will only be used a few times a year for wheels and maybe the odd timing belt change.

I was thinking about this one as it seems to have decent reviews any thoughts or recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-2-inch/dp/B000LFTSG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427480057&sr=8-1&keywords=torque+wrench

also is there a timeing tool kit available for the focus when changing the belt? anyone got a part number for it?

The is an average quality wrench to get a good one you are going to have to pay a bit more i.e. around £80. A Sealey STW703 is good, but I have today halford do good wrench too.

I have ordered this now anyhow. A friend has the same one and it looks good enough for the home mechanic. The reviews give it good and say its pretty accurate and at the price it's good value so should be ok for the home fella working at cars.

Review herehttp://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/44819/silverline-633567

I'm looking to get a smaller one as well so might get a sealey or draper 3/8 type for that. Halfords Looks Good but at the moment I'm on a budget lol!

Good thing about Halfords is with tools you get a lifetime gaurantee if you keep your receipt which for the price you pay is not to bad really just remembering where you put your receipt if it's needed lol

Not wanting to pee on your Fire or anything but I would like to know how anyone writing the reviews know it's accurate..

I bought one some time ago and wasnt accurate compared to the regulary calibrated ones at work, wasnt to far out

Get what you pay for,

The Halfords ones are good and easy to read.

Halfords are good. This one should do my job ok. Only be used rarely anyhow.

Not wanting to pee on your Fire or anything but I would like to know how anyone writing the reviews know it's accurate..

In truth I think that could apply to all the torque wrenches people have in their garages too, either ones which aren't accurate or even good ones which have gone out of calibration...

I'm told when they've run Torque courses at work they have an exercise comparing results when several people torque up the same joint with a torque wrench and they'll be all over the place too.

• Like 1

In truth I think that could apply to all the torque wrenches people have in their garages too, either ones which aren't accurate or even good ones which have gone out of calibration...

I'm told when they've run Torque courses at work they have an exercise comparing results when several people torque up the same joint with a torque wrench and they'll be all over the place too.

I have to agree here. its something you take a chance on with all these wrenches either they are not accurate to begin with or when they do go out of calibration with use. I do think though with torque values vs wrench calibration values there is a given safety zone with in the actual torque value of the fixing, I think this is to account for different wrenches in the belief that no two of these wrenches will be exactly the same in terms of accuracy even if they are the same brand I think the safety zone allows for so much % either way.

To sum it up its hard to know for sure but if holds it holds lol!

Depending on who does the calibration I guess will determine how it's done. I used to use quite a few tools at work that required calibration every so many weeks.

A torque wrench I have at home, I bought it as a calibrated model. On the certificate it shows it has been used 9 times on 3 different values. None of the 3 values for each 'given' torque are the same. Some are over and some are under, but they are all pretty close.

With torque wrenches, the calibration on them will be accurate to a small percentage - the smaller it will be across all ranges the more you pay,

Depending on who does the calibration I guess will determine how it's done. I used to use quite a few tools at work that required calibration every so many weeks.

A torque wrench I have at home, I bought it as a calibrated model. On the certificate it shows it has been used 9 times on 3 different values. None of the 3 values for each 'given' torque are the same. Some are over and some are under, but they are all pretty close.

With torque wrenches, the calibration on them will be accurate to a small percentage - the smaller it will be across all ranges the more you pay,

Good piece of information there. I agree with you that the smaller the % is the more accurate the wrench so the more expensive it will be.

All I can say is you get what you pay for. One with a Cert will confirm it been tested and that provides some comfort rather than necessarly being a better wrench.

All I can say is you get what you pay for. One with a Cert will confirm it been tested and that provides some comfort rather than necessarly being a better wrench.

Most do have cert with them but again will be calibrated to within a certain % which will increase as the wrench get wear and tear.

Always 'unload' a torque wrench too before putting it away. Means the spring is not left in compression.

Always 'unload' a torque wrench too before putting it away. Means the spring is not left in compression.

Thanks for the tip there fella. That makes sense and should keep the wrench in good form especially if only being used now and again.

Regarding wrenches with cert with them I was wondering what people thought of the following draper one again it was rated 3rd after two of Halfords more expensive ones by auto express. Would this be better than the silverline one and again it will Only be used a few times a year.

Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001K9S52/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1427703649&sr=8-2π=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=draper+torque+wrench&dpPl=1&dpID=41SA26J53JL&ref=plSrch