Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fiesta mk4 16v zetec idol problems

karmat32

I have just recently bought a 1996 mk4 fiesta for my partner and it is having a slight issue with stalling a lot.

When it's cold it over revs till it warms which i belive is normal, the problem is when you rev the engine or if you are in 3rd or 4th and press the clutch to stop at lights the rev counter needle falls below the 800rpm mark and most of the time splutters to a stall. :angry:

At first i though the idol was set too low if that was possible but i am now unsure, does any one know what it should be idoling at?

I read in another topic that a guy replaced the idol control valve which helped in his over reving problems could that be the cause of it? and how hard and expensive is that to replace?

Many thanks in advance.

I have just recently bought a 1996 mk4 fiesta for my partner and it is having a slight issue with stalling a lot.

When it's cold it over revs till it warms which i belive is normal, the problem is when you rev the engine or if you are in 3rd or 4th and press the clutch to stop at lights the rev counter needle falls below the 800rpm mark and most of the time splutters to a stall. :angry:

At first i though the idol was set too low if that was possible but i am now unsure, does any one know what it should be idoling at?

I read in another topic that a guy replaced the idol control valve which helped in his over reving problems could that be the cause of it? and how hard and expensive is that to replace?

Many thanks in advance.

mines a 2000 reg and idles somewhere between 1000 and 1100 . . . . . . i had the same symtons on my GTI6 last year and had to replace the stepper motor ( which is a retarded french way of naming the idle motor . . . . .) was the size of a miniture coke can and set me back about 100 quid i believe

• 2 months later...

Get it checked at your Ford dealer as may be a concern with the TPS or poss idle speed valve

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club