Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 Fiesta Timing Belt Interval

Manny444

Hi there, I own a mk5 1.3L Fiesta Finesse, so far the car has done 91,000 miles and is still going strong, but a week ago my friends timing belt snapped and ruined his engine, i do not wish to go down this road myself. I was wondering if there are any professional mechanics or trainee mechanics who would be able to tell me at what mileage my "timing belt" is due or was due for a change. I received a ton of paperwork with the car when i bought it but i have not been able to find a single invoice for a replacement timing belt so that is why i am asking. I still have not had the opportunity to purchase a Haynes manual, otherwise i would have checked in there first.

So any ideas ?

Hi there, I own a mk5 1.3L Fiesta Finesse, so far the car has done 91,000 miles and is still going strong, but a week ago my friends timing belt snapped and ruined his engine, i do not wish to go down this road myself. I was wondering if there are any professional mechanics or trainee mechanics who would be able to tell me at what mileage my "timing belt" is due or was due for a change. I received a ton of paperwork with the car when i bought it but i have not been able to find a single invoice for a replacement timing belt so that is why i am asking. I still have not had the opportunity to purchase a Haynes manual, otherwise i would have checked in there first.

So any ideas ?

Well, I'm no mechanic but having had experience of timing belt failure several years ago I would strongly recommend you follow the manufacturer's mileage suggestions as they can look OK and snap the next minute.

If you have no info I would hazard a guess at every 30 or 40k but I'll probably be shot down in flames by others here.

Far better to change it early than have it destroy the whole engine........... :rolleyes:

I've got a Mk4 1.25 which is obviously a totally different kettle of fish...or car even.... and I think the Ford recommendation is something silly like 80 or 90k but a Haynes manual said you'd be better off changing it at more like 40k.

Having bought mine on 60k I very much doubt it had been changed so I decided I was pushing my luck when I got to 90somint and gave in and forked out to get it changed.

Timing belts are advised to be changed at 60K/70K, as this is about the time that you should be having a Major service.

I've heard some people say that you should be able to get away with 100K.. I'd be more inclined with the 60-70 mark personally.

hello, is your engine the 1.3l 8v ohv or the 1.25l 16v. The 1.3l has a timing chain and it doesn't need changed just adjusted, the 1.25l has a timing belt and would need change every 40k or 4 year's

Whatever the recommended distanceis I would suggest getting it done at slightly less. I had one go in a Rover 216 years ago and as the mechanic worked on the engine he kept finding more and more damage that had been done but as it all came up piece meal by the time the car was re-buit and ready to go again it cost me OVER £1,100 (cheaper to have got a re-con engine I know but the way the work had been done I was never presented with a total price before the work was started)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . . . . .

hello, is your engine the 1.3l 8v ohv or the 1.25l 16v. The 1.3l has a timing chain and it doesn't need changed just adjusted, the 1.25l has a timing belt and would need change every 40k or 4 year's

As already said the 1.3 has a timing chain and doesn't require replaced. Mines has just done 100k and still going strong.

As for the 1.25 zetec I think 40k is a bit too soon. Ford recommend 100k or 10 years for either the automatic or semi automatic tensioner type. Although I would say 8 years or 80k would be a safe bet

• 4 years later...

how can i Know if my car is 1,3 or 1.25??

another question please,

Can i set a service reminder in a MK5 ?

In test mode the number shown in Fuel is on Liter or what?

how can i Know if my car is 1,3 or 1.25??

another question please,

Can i set a service reminder in a MK5 ?

In test mode the number shown in Fuel is on Liter or what?

Open the bonnet. If it says. ENDURA-E then it's a 1.3 and chain driven. If says. ZETEC-SE then it's a 1.25, 1.4 or 1.6 and has a timing belt. The going rate for these is around 80,000 miles since leaving it to chance is never recommended.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club