Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dash Cams, Dash Cams, Dash Cams.

London's Finest

Hey guys,

Had a near death experience today and it occurred to me had we had an RTC there would've been no way to prove that I wasn't at fault. This is what happened: slowed down for the round about, only one car ahead of me and 2 cars coming on the other side who have priority. 3rd car shortly appears indicates left towards 1st/2nd exit. the 2 cars on the round about take second exit so the car infront goes, I follow looking right and hes indicating left so I proceed and after entering the round about I slam my brakes on because I look right again and there he is, he screeches his tyres going 3rd exit to the right with left indicator still on.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed as when we came to stop all I could see was his bonnet.

Now my question is, do any of you use dash cams? Are they any good?

I know you can buy cheap Chinese ones for a tenner on amazon which are terrible and ones for £30 which aren't much better. So Can you guys guide me on this?

The Mobius dashcam is a solid contender that is used by many on the forum, including myself. You can get it for around 50 quid. Records in 1080p, and is very small, which is a huge plus as its less likely to get stolen. Been using it for a long time with no problems. Plenty of features, and very easy to use software for PC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232c961f6a

Cheers mate! I'll look into it, is there a specific type of SD card you need for this cam? Im aware of different classes of SD cards, so I was just curious.

I bought a mobius dash cam few weeks ago due to many good reviews on this forum.

Picture quality is really good, camera itself is very small & sits up out of my view.

Again due to info from other forum members it only took me 30mins to hard wire it in, now camera starts & stops with ignition.

+1 for the Mobius,
I'm running a thread here with various clips from my Mobius,
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/66638-raider32s-mobius-camera/

The recommended MicroSD card is a Class 4 (Kingston), I got this one with SD/USB adapters,

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-32GB-MicroSD-Multi-Kit-%2B-Micro-SD-Card

Class 10 wasn't recommended initially, but might be more compatible now with the newer firmware, I'm not too sure.

My mobius is V3 using latest forward and runs a 32gid class 10 no problem.

I've got mirror dash cam (I know, this is a leftfield choice) which seem to work OK.

It is very discreet and works fine as mirror and as camera.

There are some minor problems but overall this is OK device.

OP don't trust indicators on the road until they've started turning assume they're going your way. Dash cam or not there's no point in being 'dead right' ;), age and experience will teach you that

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Never presume or ASSUME as assuming often makes an A$$ of U & ME ! ( Old driving instructor motto of mine ) :)

I have 3 in total,only use 1 in the front ( CDV300X) use this as it fits onto to plastic bit flat on the mirror cover.

Great picture and use class 10 32gb,i also have a mibius v2 and thats great can't hide it as good as my CDV one,tried a cheap one £10 and does the job but think its not true HD it up-scale so picture aint that good.

And 1 other thing,some make cards don't work in some cams,tried 5 in mine and it was a mix and match.

Here is the one i fitted now and as you can see great fit and no sucker that sticks out from looking into the car as all you see is the lense.

post-52758-0-62660500-1428744358_thumb.jpost-52758-0-53021500-1428744396_thumb.j

Thanks for the input guys, and in reference to assumptions, I just assumed he knew what he was doing. But I guess I have to find the balance because you cant drive assuming everyone on the road is an idiot because you wont make any progress. But i'll definitely take this on board as I respect your opinions Mark& Laurie, I'll be more cautious during times of low traffic because I can afford to wait a couple of minutes and not get stuck.The thing that surprised me was the guy driving the other car was probably only 5 or 6 years older than me, he was a young guy;so I have no idea how he went that far up dumbass creek because he should have no excuses when it comes to lapse in concentration.

But still had there been a crash there would've been no witnesses and my word against his, im pretty sure they'd side with him seeing as hes the more "experienced" driver.

Thanks for the input guys, and in reference to assumptions, I just assumed he knew what he was doing. But I guess I have to find the balance because you cant drive assuming everyone on the road is an idiot because you wont make any progress. But i'll definitely take this on board as I respect your opinions Mark& Laurie, I'll be more cautious during times of low traffic because I can afford to wait a couple of minutes and not get stuck.The thing that surprised me was the guy driving the other car was probably only 5 or 6 years older than me, he was a young guy;so I have no idea how he went that far up dumbass creek because he should have no excuses when it comes to lapse in concentration.

But still had there been a crash there would've been no witnesses and my word against his, im pretty sure they'd side with him seeing as hes the more "experienced" driver.

Mate you aint the first and won't be the last to do that,i have loads of times.

• Like 1

A dashcam may not help you in that particular situation anyway as they face forwards and wouldn't catch cars coming from your right or left, so how could you prove he was indicating to exit but then carried on round to the next one? Would still be your word against his mate.

It will come with experience, close call but it makes you more aware for next time.

Blackvue. They're expensive but definitely worth it! Will be getting one when I get my car!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6

As for dash cams i would shop around and look at a lot of video clips.

Don't always think a £300 cam is the best for example the modius.......spot on and cheap and very small

and with loads of setting for and as little as £50 and a good solid build.

Apart from price & video quality of the Mobius, you can mount it almost anywhere (bike, helmet, tripod etc).

I wanted something that didn't just sit in a car window, even if it was less than £60.

Apart from price & video quality of the Mobius, you can mount it almost anywhere (bike, helmet, tripod etc).

I wanted something that didn't just sit in a car window, even if it was less than £60.

Spot on,this is why i did not want mine on a sucker on the window, i had one on the way (on my pic) and

then won a mobius v2.

This one anyway just slids off if i want and i would put the mobius in the same place some way,holds

there charge good the mobius.

I did have a cheap old £30 unbranded camera in my old clio, but that got irritating because it had a built in battery (which lasted about 40 mins) and the cigarette lighter in my clio didn't work.... it was full of crap... old cigarette butts presumably which may explain why it never worked.

Shortly before getting my Fiesta I bought a Transcend Drivepro 200 which i've been using since, the quality of the camera is pretty darn good, registration plates can be read very clearly, and it has a built in wifi chip allowing you to "live stream" footage from the camera to your phone via their App available on the app store (Not sure if there is an android app though).

It was reasonably expensive at £70, I did look at getting a Blackvue as someone else here mentioned but those are anywhere from £120-£300, which is way over what I was prepared to pay.

See sample footage taken directly from my camera below.

(NB No, the circular disc in the left corner is not a tax disc, it's a Staff car parking pass as I work in a school - So I don't get clamped/towed away!)

EDIT

Ignore the time and date on the video, it's wrong!

The footage was actually recorded probably about 2 weeks ago, recorded on the way home from work probably just before 5PM.

And another...

Cheers mate! I'll look into it, is there a specific type of SD card you need for this cam? Im aware of different classes of SD cards, so I was just curious.

I'm using this 64GB card with my Mobius (think it's a V3) and it works fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-64GB-microSDXC-adapter/dp/B009X0G304/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428929587&sr=8-2&keywords=64gb+micro+sd+card

As someone else said it might not have helped you in that situation because the field of view of the camera isn't wide enough to see what's coming from the side. Although you can buy wider angle lenses for the Mobius, or one with a different lens already fitted, so that could help.

Even if you have a dash cam you should still get witnesses after a crash, because I've heard that video evidence isn't always enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Mobius is where I'm heading in a few months, however a cheaper but excellent one is the gs8000l less than 20 quid and works fantastic with a screen too. I have my review of this in my signature

To be fair I even bought a 720p also from eBay for about a tenner, and even got to keep it and got a refund. That too works alright. Loop recording, G sensor and time and date and isn't bad at all for the price I paid.

To be fair I even bought a 720p also from eBay for about a tenner, and even got to keep it and got a refund. That too works alright. Loop recording, G sensor and time and date and isn't bad at all for the price I paid.

i did that a cheap one first,well very cheap £0

Was just under £10 and it didn't have the setting on it that it should have,no infa- red 0n/off and shock sensor on/off

Only sent them a message to ask about it,full refund lol.

Haha love it when that happens. What is the lens quality?

Haha love it when that happens. What is the lens quality?

Its good ish to say it was or would of been £10

I now have the one on the picture on here cdv300x and thats just amazing for £70

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club