Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync Ii Video Play

famas

I've a focus 2015 with SYNC II. In my previus focus 2,5 model 2008, i had placed an aftermarket 2din gps, media etc. unit so i used play short clips through the unit rather than mp3s...The new one doesn't seem to play any video files :( The direstory just says that the unit has limited capabilities of playing such files. So, i just wanted to know if anyone has manage to play some kind of vide oof any type(mp4, avi, flv, mkv etc) via SYNC II.

As far as I'm aware, it's illegal for any video to be visible to the driver,

Some aftermarket media units only play video with the handbrake on, but obviously people can get around that.

• Like 1

Thanks RAIDER32 for your answer, it's quite true whatever you said, but i have the same proble even when i'm stationary whith the ignition off.

Does this unit have a full colour LCD or is it the dot matrix type?

Also on a dvd unit that can play this just earthing the pink wire can make videos play...but you didnt hear that from me ;) lol

Does this unit have a full colour LCD or is it the dot matrix type?

Also on a dvd unit that can play this just earthing the pink wire can make videos play...but you didnt hear that from me ;) lol

i think it has a full colour LCD cause in the navi mode it shows streets with different colours.

I'm pretty sure that has something to do with earthing a wire, but i don't want do this in a brand new car. Anyway thank you for your help :)

• 8 months later...

I've got a 2015 Focus - it says in the Manual that the Sync 2 8" head unit can play video but there is a CD drive fitted in the car as standard, not a DVD player, and no option to select video media in the menu... Anyone have any ideas?

If it's a matter of grounding the wires then that's awesome, but I don't see how that'd add the functionality or options to the menu.

I think its because in the uk we dont have the AV connectors

Anyone tried putting a video on a sd card and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I think it is because in the UK (and maybe EU) you cannot have a screen or device able to play video within view of the driver, so th functionality will have been disabled and the av port not fitted.

The manual has a lot copied over from the US and has a fair few mistakes (like wrong bulb types).

Thanks for the replies - I think Alex is right but I've seen nothing official anywhere on this. Here's the weird part; the US models didn't originally allow the driver to input any directions into the sat Nav whilst going above 8mph, the U.K. model never had this restriction. Also, the US models have an 8pmh restriction to video playback anyway, with some states restricting this to neutral gear stick pos/0mph. The reason why I was interested was to see about hooking up some cheap screens in the back headrests for the kids, and also for the functionality whilst sat still in the car. There are also Video-in-Motion units for the US market, but this intrests me mainly for the ability to split the AV for Nav on the main screen and video feeds to the back screens.

Does anyone have any luck with video playback at all or know if AV input is available to be retrofitted to the UK head unit?

I'll try the SD card but I'd imagine that the USB port would also be able to play MP4's or similar format. The main reason that I'm curious as to whether it's even viable on the UK unit is the lack of a menu screen staying AV or video, the Entertainment UI a only lists audio.

Yeah fair point. It's doubtful.

There must be a hidden menu to access and unlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

we should see about this (hidden menu's)

Iam interested

are the av ports on the back of the head unit ?

Jamie

Unless you have the 3 AV sockets under the armrest then your system is not set up for video.

I have tried video files on an SD card with no luck.

post-28494-0-78651300-1451952222_thumb.j

I'd be interested to see if the head unit allows for AV input/retrofitting as these 2015 units are definitely the latest Sync 2 models. I'm also curious as to whether the Sync apps require authorisation via Ford and also what compatibility and control they are able to have over the head unit, because it would be nice to see if it would be plausible for someone to develop a basic app to stream video from iOS/Android directly to the head unit via bluetooth? I may have to have a look over the API and available documentation...

Could be a fun little project!

Will have to read the manual, if the manual says it could play Videos maybe ask ford about it and why it dosnt? If the manual says it does?

Well, manual says it could play vidro files, but it doesnt state how.

Στάλθηκε από το XT1032 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

There is a disclaimer around the start of the manual iirc saying not all features are applicable to your car, depends on spec, etc.

EDIT:

Here you go, from the introduction:

Note:
This manual describes product features and options available
throughout the range of available models, sometimes even before they are
generally available.It may describe options not fitted to the vehicle
you have purchased.
Note:
Some of the illustrations in this manual may show features as
used in different models, so may appear different to you on your
vehicle.

ahhhh damn it.

although i wonder if you could source the american headunit and fit that. although by the time you odne that guess its just easier to buy aftermarket.

There is a disclaimer around the start of the manual iirc saying not all features are applicable to your car, depends on spec, etc.

The thing I'm curious about is whether it's actually a regional specification restriction. Video playback and support in neutral gear is not an optional extra in the spec book for the UK/European Focus yet it appears to come as a standard feature for the US market - does anyone know if I am correct about this regarding US vehicles?

I'm also intrigued to know if this is a hardware specific restriction, a firmware lock-out or a software block on the ability to play video files whilst stationary.

US often have different software versions running, so even with IDS it probably won't be possible to turn it on.

ahhhh damn it.

although i wonder if you could source the american headunit and fit that. although by the time you odne that guess its just easier to buy aftermarket.

I've only seen one aftermarket unit and its UI is pretty ugly - it's way faster than the standard unit and it runs android as its OS but it doesn't look like it supports any of the Sync voice commands and I'm also not sure about the steering wheel buttons either.

im assuming this is double DIN fit, personally voice control dosnt bother me i dont use it at all but steering wheel buttons are very hand.

found this from where i have bought lots of sound equipment in the past but very expensive.

Wonder if it would work with OEM parts.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/zenec-ze-nc3810-double-din-ford-dvd-monitor-navigation

im assuming this is double DIN fit, personally voice control dosnt bother me i dont use it at all but steering wheel buttons are very hand.

found this from where i have bought lots of sound equipment in the past but very expensive.

Wonder if it would work with OEM parts.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/zenec-ze-nc3810-double-din-ford-dvd-monitor-navigation

That's designed to fit the MK2.5 Focus.

In my previous focus mk2.5 i had a 2din unit like the ones streetleeper posted and worked fine. I even had steering wheel buttons function. And it was much cheeper since everything comes from China.

Στάλθηκε από το XT1032 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk