Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 St Diesel - Suspension & Steering Noise

shrops

I'm loving my ST diesel, however after 5k miles the front off side suspension and steering has got noisy, especially when its dry and warm. The most annoying grinding noise. Also the clutch had developed a squeak.

Booked in to the dealers on Friday, just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues

The car is probably too new for anyone to have issues with them yet :D

Let us know what the dealers say the issue is, kind of strange to be having suspension/clutch noises so early

They built mine without the tinted windows. Dealer arranged for retro fit tinting at Fords cost. Other than that it's a fantastic car. Mine is ST3 with sat nav and reversing camera

Did you order it tinted?

I hope they don't miss anything out on my order

How are you enjoying it so far?

Btw - Are all the internal lights led on the st3 e.g over head, boot lights? Brochure didn't say.

I've ticked every option hehe can't wait.

Metallic paint moon dust silver

Driver assistance pack

St style pack

Blind spot information system

Door edge protectors

Heater steering wheel

Power tilt slide sunroof

Premium ford sync 2 dab navigation system

Rear view camera

Roll on end of May

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

The windows should have been tinted as std

The internal roof lights are led front and rear. The boot light is std bulb I think. The rest of the interior has red led subtle lighting in foot wells door trim and over console.

Yours will be a damn fine car.

Yours looks nice in the White too. Don't suppose you have any pics of your car?

I know I'm like a child at Christmas waiting for the car and I'm 31 lol....

Only 1.5k miles no mechanical concerns.

The tailgate doesn't lock when dropped you have to slam it shut! Annoying ! Will book it inn.

Latest Update:

Dealer acknowledges there is a problem with noise. Thinks its either track rods or steering pump.

Ford have no known issues. They have been emailed a recording of the sound

Dealer wants car for a few days to strip it down and investigate further.

Waiting for them to "get me a car and book it in"

Meanwhile I'm not enjoying the ST

Will keep you informed, but anyone who has the same issue - Let me know

Also ordered an st so will follow this!

Sorry to hear about that. Let's hope they trace it quickly and get it fixed.

Stripping down a new car doesn't sound good though. No wonder your not enjoying your st. Does it still feel ok to drive?

Its driving fine. In the mornings when cold its just like the car should be.

Driving home in the sun and warmth is just noisey, groaning and grinding.

Been waiting for the dealer to get back to me since Friday

Simple answer to this one the suspension rubbers are dry they don't grease them when building the car so as they dry out they groan and squeek

Yes had this with my mk1 focus and mk2 and had it shown to me by the mechanic some white grease on the suspension soon sorted it out but you need it up in the air to get into all the rubber bushes sadly as usual ford still greases sod all when they build the cars and they know about it there was a tsb for the mk2 for this

Fact is I've not spent £27,000 on a car to have to go around greasing bushes within 3 months of the car being built.

Haven't Ford's suspension systems always been a little squeaky?

Mine have never been distractingly noisy, just a faint creak going over bumps, I assumed it was a Ford thing?

My mum's clutch pedal spring got a little squeaky but that is easy enough to grease.

shouldnt be, this is 2015 not 1965

i totally agree but thats ford mate its the same when it comes to doing anything on the rear suspension since nowts greased ie bolts etc they are ceased after a few years and a pain in the rear to remove dont be surprised if they squirt it with wd40 as ive seen done in the past it helps for a few months till the summer heat dries it off again

Yeah that's it precisely your spending £27,000.00 on a brand new car you do expect that these items to be fit for purpose. If they know this kind of thing happens why don't they address it during production of the car instead of us having to visit the garage.

Dealer emailed to say parts will be available next week!!! - waiting for a reply on what parts as I'm still not sure anyone knows what the problem is.

Dealer now saying that Ford "think" its the tie rod ends. Parts ordered. Booked in w/c 4th May.

Worth a try but ide be surprised if it was as they are greased

Out of the blue, my clutch has just started squeaking this morning too, perhaps it came out in sympathy? Lol.

Sounds like mine is the clutch pedal spring. Add that to the list for them to do when they find out how to fix this rattle :(

• 3 weeks later...

Problem Solved!!!

Dealer hadn't removed all of the transport suspension blocks.

They blame ford saying extra blocks were used on the ST Diesel and had not put this on the pdi sheet.

When I asked why they had not noticed this when they had the car in to diagnose the problem, their reply was "we didn't know what we were looking for"

Anyone else had this issue