Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can A 2007 Mk2 Focus Be Fitted With Bluetooth? (Radio Firmware A Problem?)

Harry Spillett

Hello, I am aware from trawling the net and various forums this topic has received a lot of coverage however I am still having trouble finding the info I need.

I have a 2007 Focus Ghia that is not fitted with bluetooth / voice control but it does have a Sony second generation 6CD radio. (most conversions I read about about seem to be 2009 or newer) I think the firmware version is: BL:02-05-01. The first and most important question is will this radio EVER be able to support bluetooth control, even if I manage to collect all of the other required parts? I am not so worried about having the USB connectivity if that makes a difference.

I don't mind spending some money and time collecting all the bits but not if it will never work with my current head unit.

The next question is which bluetooth module would I need, is there a way of using the age or serial number on the radio to work this out? I don't think I have the relevant loom for the module behind the glove box but I do have the microphone cable inside the interior light, does this mean I should have the module cables tucked away somewhere too?

Does the module need to have my VIN programmed into it to work or should it be plug and play?

Will the steering column control with the "voice" button be a straight swap with my current one or does it too require a new cable / loom?

Any help on the possible upgrade of this realitively old car would be qreatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Harry

Im not sure on this but have you thought about a parrot system? May work out cheaper and its not intrusive with a small screen with a remote that can sit on dash or steering wheel...

The original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system can be retrofitted without any problems. However you have to consider that this system at this time is pretty old and outdated. In my opinion an aftermarket system will be cheaper and have better functionality and support.

The Focus MK2 and very early MK2.5 did have the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. This system has Mono sound. The modules of this system can not be updated. This system was available on all original radio's including the GEN 1 (square shaped) and GEN 2 (oval shaped) Sony radio's

During production of the Focus MK2.5 (approximately from April 2008) this sytem was superseded by the newer Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system. This system has stereo sound. The modules of this system can be updated to support newer Phone types and solve known problems. There were basically 2 different versions of this system. The normal Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and the Sound & Connect system (Bluetooth/Voicecontrol with Ipod, USB and bluetooth Audio support). The normal Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system was available on all MK2.5 radio's (built after approximately April 2008). The Sound & Connect system was only available on the Travelpilot FX, Travelpilot NX and GEN 3 (oval shaped) Sony radio's. The GEN 3 Sony radio's look identical to the GEN 2 Sony radio's but are technically different.

Radio's, modules and wiring of the old and newer Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system are different. These are not interchangeable. This means that in your case you have to install the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system to make it work. Parts of this system are rare and expensive.

Both the old and the newer Bluetooth/Voicecontrol systems are currently no more supported by Ford. Ford stopped the support for the newer system in 2012. This means that both the old and the newer system became outdated. Some newer Phone types are not fully compatible with this system.

I am kind of an OEM freak so I only want the original system. On my previous 2005 Focus MK2 I installed a Focus MK2.5 GEN 3 Sony 6-CD DAB radio and retrofitted the Sound & Connect system. To solve compatibility issues I changed the module of this system for a newer type Focus MK3 module. After being configured correctly this type of module is fully compatible with the MK2.5 system. In my opinion this is the best OEM solution for the Focus MK2 and MK2.5.

Thanks guys,

I too like the OEM gear and so that is why I would rather not go down the Parrot route.

From what I have read before I was begining to think it would be easier all round to upgrage the head unit unit so I could use the more up to date modules and possibly add the USB connectivity. However I dont want to spend a fortune on this it, it would have been nice to answer the phone hands free.

I may try to have a poke round at one of the local scrap yards to see if I can find the early module and looms cheaply.

It's good to know these will work with my head unit.

Do these early modules need to be configured or programmed or can they just be plugged straight in?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club